F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined the forum. Next Tuesday, I will be taking delivery of a 2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew with max tow package (to the best of my knowledge as the dealer was not confidence inspiring--window sticker link posted below). It has 12,234 miles on it and need to know what maintenance should I perform to ensure the engine runs optimally. I have never owned a turbo before so any insightful advice would be appreciated.

Also, I keep reading so many posts about installing a catch can, but the more I read the more confused I get. I understand the premise, however there doesn't seem to be a consensus on which type of catch can to install or even the best method to install it.

d1

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1ftfw1et9dfb21677

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
As long as the oil has been changed at least a couple of times, you should be fine for the "maintenance" side..

I've already changed my oil 3 times since I got my 13 almost a year and 11,800 miles ago...

As far as the 'can' goes, I've read a lot of posts on it, but have not decided one way or the other..

So far, the only thing is not working well, is the SYNC system, as that's just a POS in my opinion... The microphone does not work 90% of the time.. So, I don't bother with it.. I'll get it into the dealer before the 3 year warranty is up, but for now, that's the only thing that's disappointed me with the F150..

Good luck!

Mitch

·
Registered
108 Posts
I keep reading so many posts about installing a catch can, but the more I read the more confused I get. I understand the premise, however there doesn't seem to be a consensus on which type of catch can to install or even the best method to install it.
You are lucky. You have a 2013. The 2013 models have an unused hose bung cast on the right intake tube that you can use for the passenger side drill hole. Just drill the hole in the end of the bung and you can cap it with a vacuum cap if you need to take the truck back to stock. In the absolute worst case, the catch can is insurance. There are enough videos and install guides out there for you to get a feel for what you like the best.

So far I have put on 4 catch cans. All RX jumbo's dual valve with css. I use the fitting off the original pcv hoses, because they are slick working. I just cut them out of the original hoses. The hoses are like $18.00 for the pair if I ever want to go back stock. Especially need to do this on the passenger side valve cover (90 degree fitting) to keep the engine cover from kinking hose. Takes 35-40 minutes tops. Do not drill anything if the temperature is below 50 degrees. The plastic may shatter leaving you with a large mess and need of another tube. If its cold take truck inside or tube inside.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are lucky. You have a 2013. The 2013 models have an unused hose bung cast on the right intake tube that you can use for the passenger side drill hole. Just drill the hole in the end of the bung
and you can cap it with a vacuum cap if you need to take the truck back to stock. In the absolute worst case, the catch can is insurance. There are enough videos and install guides out there for you to get a feel for what you like the best.

So far I have put on 4 catch cans. All RX jumbo's dual valve with css. I use the fitting off the original pcv hoses, because they are slick working. I just cut them out of the original hoses. The hoses are like $18.00 for the pair if I ever want to go back stock. Especially need to do this on the passenger side valve cover (90 degree fitting) to keep the engine cover from kinking hose. Takes 35-40 minutes tops. Do not drill anything if the temperature is below 50 degrees. The plastic may shatter leaving you with a large mess and need of another tube. If its cold take truck inside or tube inside.
I appreciate the feedback, very helpful.

d1

·
Registered
131 Posts
Change your plugs?? My 13 originally had the ungapped plugs from the factory. All plugs at the dealer are now gapped down. Otherwise Oil changes is all you need for a long time..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Change oil every 5K with synthetic, change sparkplugs at 20-30K, have dealer run your vin and make sure all TSB have been done and as far as catch cans go every truck is different my truck is a 2013 with 45k miles and I have no oil in my CAC and don't have any fuel smell in my oil and oil level is always the same

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Change oil every 5K with synthetic, change sparkplugs at 20-30K, have dealer run your vin and make sure all TSB have been done and as far as catch cans go every truck is different my truck is a 2013 with 45k miles and I have no oil in my CAC and don't have any fuel smell in my oil and oil level is always the same
Any specific weight synthetic?

I leaning toward getting the catch can based on the climate in which I drive, with the colder temperatures I imagine I will have potentially more issues versus in Texas where you operate your truck.

Thanks again for the help.

d1

·
Registered
149 Posts
Grease your tailgate... They always seem to squeak. At least mine does.

Reactions: btswein

·
Registered
71 Posts
Keep your Tailgate locked as these things like to walk away, for a nifty replacement price between $1500-3000 smackers!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I didn't see Max Tow Pkg for your truck. It has a tow package, but not the Max Tow pkg.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't see Max Tow Pkg for your truck. It has a tow package, but not the Max Tow pkg.
Yea, the dealer ran the VIN and said it did. It does have the integrated bumper/hitch and 3:73 gears that is part of the Max tow package. I know it doesn't have the max load capacity package. I have researched this but no one can give me a definitive answer. I used the ford website to build a max tow package and it can be done without identifying the (60M or 60P) option package.

d1

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, finally got the truck. Pretty impressed considering this is my only Ford truck I have ever owned. New spark plugs were gapped and installed. The old plugs were not too far out of tolerance. When I removed the oil filler cap I saw the condensation build up as well as the smell of gasoline. So, as soon as I get the qwikvalve for the oil pan I will be changing the oil post haste.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts