F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of vendors offer the afe stage 2 intakes as part of their bundles. Has anyone made proven, solid gains with this cai tuned or untuned? I personally haven't read anything amazing about these and would be more inclined to put the money this item costs towards something else that's useful like a good downpipe, CAC, catch can, something lol. Does this cai provide bang for the Buck, or should it be substituted for something else?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
CAI doesn't really do anything. The factory unit is more than enough honestly. I bought an S&B just for the looks and noise.

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you guys mentioned is all I've read about these things.They look great, but if there is no value added, I'd rather put the money somewhere else in a bundle package.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Agreed. I bought my AFE before I joined this forum. Looks great. I can hear the induction, in case I forget that I'm on the pedal.

eH

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Op, good idea. It really is just an appearance mod

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where do you guys here that there is NO GAIN? and are you speaking peak numbers, because that is least important.

The data I can provide is with a tune and AEM drop in I went [email protected] in the 1/4mile in outstanding DA. Now with the addition of my AFE stage 2 and AFE bladerunner charge pipe I went [email protected], in about 600ft worse DA. These are both mods that are commonly added to the NO GAINS talk, but there are definitely gains to be had. Now from a price perspective DPs or catback may net you more hp/$, but I think they are well worth it.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Wait for the patent pending Chicken Scoop CAI .... coming soon! :p

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Wait for the patent pending Chicken Scoop CAI .... coming soon! :p
So I was just called out by a Rookie for making an "unhelpful, silly" comment on this thread, and after going back and re-reading his PM, he was respectful, and to his credit, makes (at least somewhat of) a legitimate point. Maybe sometimes some of us "regulars" should slow down before we just post a shoot from the hip comment, especially on a thread where a new member is asking for advice on a subject that is serious to him.

That said, to clarify...here are my comments about CAI opinions. And yes, I do have a CAI on my truck.

1. It's almost as touchy of a subject as posting "What is the best tune/tuner to buy"
2. The stock air box and paper filter will physically flow more CFM than the engine will ever need unless you do some serious work (like larger turbos)
3. All CAI's are tested on bone stock trucks and show performance gains on the chassis dyno
4. These performance gains are very small, about the same for all types and brands
5. You can't really see/feel any difference in the real world (not to include a charge pipe or down pipe - that's a separate deal)
6. Quality filtration gets overlooked in these debates about CFM and longer tubes and all that jazz

So the Chicken Scoop idea comes from me saying, "if it was all about max flow, why don't we just run a piece of PVC to the TB, and put some chicken wire over the end to keep the rocks out". Because CAI's (on these trucks) are 99% sizzle and 1% substance. Especially AFE. Their filter quality is JUNK, but their "Stage II" kit looks super whiz-bang cool. In truth, it's one of the last performance "upgrades" that these trucks need, but one of the first most of us do. Check the new S&B frenzy thread for more info. At least we finally had some guys admitting that they bought one mostly because it LOOKS COOL.

As I've said before....I get tickled watching fishermen get hooked by fishing lures....never said I'm not one of 'em :cool:

Hope that helps. Peace.

EDIT: to clarify further on the Chicken Scoop post, there were already several previous posts from other experienced members offering the same advice, all of them having CAI's on their trucks, and logs to back up their positions. It's primarily an appearance/sound mod, and not a needed performance mod. In other words, 99% sizzle. Fact....

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yep.

The boost will set you free

Reactions: VolForLife

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was able to feel a small difference in throttle and pep going to the s&b. Was it worth the money (HEK NO) but I'm also hoping my nearby future mods help make it shine more. It was more, fit, finish, and design that made me get it. Its very nice. Just a Pleasant surprise to feel any Change however small for my $300 bucks lol

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
An IC is a supporting mod. Not a power mod

1 - 20 of 28 Posts