F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took off the air dam several months ago. I noticed no difference. I was looking in to possible mods to get more air to the intercooler, and realized a few things.

If you have facts or links to creditable sources, I would love to hear them. If there is anything we can do to get more air to our intercooler (CAC) like cutting bumper, please advise.

First, here are three reasons to take off the air dam:
1. looks
2. Off roading
3. it was easier to change the oil without it.

I dont off road, I didnt mind the looks and i drive 60 miles a day.

I searched google and added -forums to remove the opinions and get facts.

Wind tunnel testing. All companies have tested in wind tunnels and why would they have the dam on there if it didnt help.
I couldnt find the exact statement specifically for ford, i did find GMC, but here are some examples.

Ford - Shows how detailed they are in testing.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/07/15/how-air-curtains-on-f-150-help-reduce-aerodynamic-drag.html

GMC

a new air dam below the 2014 Sierra’s front bumper successfully reduces drag because it directs air toward the ground and away from the truck’s rough underbody. And Sierra’s ducted flow path between the grille and radiator prevents air from swirling inside the truck’s front cavities.

GMC Pickups 101: Busting Myths of Truck Aerodynamics

INTERCOOLER DATA

However, contrary to what common sense might imply an opening larger then the internal flow area of the core is not the ideal size. Instead, the opening should be between 60 and 25% of the core area. This number is both a result of the fact that in a completely open situation, less then one forth of the area going towards the core would flow between its fins, and a smaller inlet tapering open towards the core will produce a low pressure area, sucking in more air and maximizing air flow.

Intercooling 101

Here is a forum, but it seems thorough.

Well, I finally got my air dam testing done. Six fill-ups over 2200 miles. thrre with air dam vs three without air dam.

Without air dam: 26.34 MPG
With air dam: 27.00 MPG

Effects Of Air Dam (Ford F350 pickup) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Conclusion

I origianlly removed the dam thinking it would allow more air from the bottom, but I see now this forcing air into a smaller hole might be better. Possibly it was leaking out the bottom.

I personally blow up a swimming pool with an air compressor, for the kids, and have found that the ideal inflation position is actually several inches from the large opening. It sucks more air in to the hole with it further away.

Mayby you dont care about a few pennies a fill up... but if you do! (and i am hoping for more cooling to radiator and CAC)

Put the damn dam back on...lol

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
DUH! Do you really think Ford would go through the effort to design an additional piece just for 'funsies'?!

·
Registered
903 Posts
While the points are valid, the deltas in parameters between running with the dam on or off are so small that we would not see an every day difference w/o the use of equipment that 99% of us likely can't afford...

And if you think your CAC, coolant, or trans temps are improved with the dam on, show us some data logs of temps. But like I said, even if we tried the deltas are so small that heat soak from the engine, changes in road temps, ambient temps, etc would play havoc on trying to nail down a definitive data answer by folks like us with the equipment we all have access to

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the points are valid, the deltas in parameters between running with the dam on or off are so small that we would not see an every day difference w/o the use of equipment that 99% of us likely can't afford...

And if you think your CAC, coolant, or trans temps are improved with the dam on, show us some data logs of temps. But like I said, even if we tried the deltas are so small that heat soak from the engine, changes in road temps, ambient temps, etc would play havoc on trying to nail down a definitive data answer by folks like us with the equipment we all have access to
I am not sure. I will not be conducting a personal study. I have posted the research I have found. The research I have found does indicate that it is a very small difference. But I decided I would take advantage of that difference. Please include any studies to the contrary, I would be entertained to read them.

Also Google "delta" for me.

I don't off road, and I don't mind the look. Other than it being in my way for oil change. I put it back on.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did extrapolate to guess CAC or radiator would get more cooling.

I found very positive info that it is minimally better for MPG, and I found that forcing through a small hole was better than exposed. But to that the extent the air dam is better for that, I am not sure.

I would love to see anybody that did any studies with cutting or removing anything to improve those temperature components. As he said an official study, not just a "my guess" study.

I didn't tell the difference with the dam on or off.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And that was my point. Post any pertinent articles you have! I'm interested.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

I found very positive info that it is minimally better for MPG, and I found that forcing through a small hole was better than exposed. But to that the extent the air dam is better for that, I am not sure.

I would love to see anybody that did any studies with cutting or removing anything to improve those temperature components. As he said an official study, not just a "my guess" study.

I've owned a number of vehicles with a front dam or spoiler. Excluding any aerodynamics or ground force reasons; the most common reason was for cooling the radiator and to prevent overheating, especially at higher road speeds when the PCM typically disables the electric fans to prevent cavalcading.

·
Registered
355 Posts
...to prevent cavalcading.
Do you mean cavitation? Cavalcade is like a parade, specifically on horseback. (Look out it's the grammar police!) :cool:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Do you mean cavitation? Cavalcade is like a parade, specifically on horseback. (Look out it's the grammar police!) :cool:
No .... auto correction.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
More air to Intercooler. That's liquid cooled
You're an idiot. The turbos are liquid cooled. Go back to your displacement corner

·
Registered
903 Posts

You keep citing an example of "forcing air through a smaller hole was better than exposed"...I'm not sure I see what you're getting at with this example.

Due to the shape of the upper grille/upper grille opening, bumper, lower grille/lower grille opening, and lower bumper valance piece (the plastic attached to the actual bumper, not this lower dam that is in question), any air below a horizontal line say around the lower grille opening/lower valance is not going to affect the rate of airflow into the lower grille opening or upper grille opening. That air is already moving down and under that valance, where it then would or would not make contact with the lower dam that we're talking about in this thread.

Having the lower dam there isn't going to force the air magically back up the curvature of the lower valance/bumper and into the lower grille opening to flow over the CAC. It's only there to force the air that it contacts further down and away from the vehicle, to not let the turbulent air "catch" underbody parts on the vehicle nearly as bad. This amount of catching does to a certain extent cause some increase in drag, but for our purposes, none of us will ever be able to accurately and repeatedly measure that delta in drag ourselves without some really expensive equipment. And at this point you'll likely ask "Well why did Ford put it there to begin with?"...Answer, to squeeze every last drop of recordable (with super expensive equipment) MPGs out of a 2wd single cab F150 XL 3.5 Eco running 3.13 gears and tiny 235 tires to boast about "highest MPG in a 1/2 ton truck", that's why

Moral of story: your example is valid when talking about forcing air into a cone/funnel shape...but that shape has already been defeated in terms of airflow in the location of the lower air dam that this thread is about.

·
Administrator
9,604 Posts
Let's put this to bed. You like the look without it convenience of oil change? Or off road?

Remove it.

Don't off road, don't like the look without, too lazy?

Leave it.

Don't expect much else either way. Like the turbo silencer rings.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts