F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me try to describe what i feel under hard accel and im curious to see if anyone else feels it and knows what causes this symptom.

i pull out from a stop and as the truck shifts to 2nd gear moderately press down until the pedal bottoms out on the floor and this is right about 25 mph and then up to about 55 or 60mph
the truck starts to boost and rev up but as it pulls through 2nd gear and then the bottom of 3rd gear i can feel the power surging on and off slightly but the tires are not slipping or spinning
it really feels like the computer is taking timing away and then advancing it back in but the truck is bone stock except for the drop in K&N filter.
i dont see any fluctution on the tach but i can feel it by how much its pushing me back in the seat and during that pull from 25 to 60 it surges about 5-6 times.
2013 XLT 3.55 rear

any ideas ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Weird. Still sounds like rev limiter to me.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ran mine down the drag strip several times today and didn't get anything like that. Shifts happened right at 6000 rpm and only went to third gear, though. You could be getting a bit of detonation and the 'puter is pulling back timing like you're thinking.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have read a few post about problems with incorrect spark plug gap and or COP (coil on plug) issues. Simple way would be to take it in while it's under warranty and have it looked at. Even if they don't find anything on this first trip to the shop at least the issue is now documented in your trucks data base.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is one other thing that comes to mind, if your KN Filter was over oiled it could have transferred a light oil coating through the MAS and your computer is getting a reading error and trying to compensate incorrectly.

I would sure pull the KN Filter out and replace the Ford paper filter before taking it into the shop.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I agree with Nasty! Turn off your TC and ESC when conditions are safe to do so. Try the same run and it is likely that you will no longer feel the surges. These modern car-puters anticipate wheel spin and loss of stability and therefor will produce counter measures before you would even notice the loss of traction.

Let us know what you find.

SPPD

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
interesting !
this is the first vehicle i have ever owned that had TC on it so i really know nothing of its nature.
i will be going away for 4 days this week but im sure at some point i will not be hitched to a trailer and able to test it out.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
But he claims the tires were not spinning,if they were not spinning.IMO then it isn't a traction control issue.

Later Mark
I have noticed that the vehicle seems to anticipate wheel spin and apply counter measures to prevent, not only respond with corrections. I have felt the same thing on my truck on occasion. I could be wrong, but the TC on this vehicle seems to be an active system rather than a passive (reactive) system. I feel like the vehicle trys to prevent wheel spin rather than just respond to it. I will be following the OPs experiences to see what it turns out to be.

SPPD

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is one other thing that comes to mind, if your KN Filter was over oiled it could have transferred a light oil coating through the MAS and your computer is getting a reading error and trying to compensate incorrectly.

I would sure pull the KN Filter out and replace the Ford paper filter before taking it into the shop.
I agree. Don't run wet filters, they can mess up the MAS air meters on these new vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i agree and totally understand the wet filter issues but im pretty sure its not the cause and more than likely i will fiqure it out here eventually.
its definetly not tire spin because it has been dry here for days and 88 degrees when i felt it again yesterday
i gotta play with the TC a few times and compare notes

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I could be wrong, but the TC on this vehicle seems to be an active system rather than a passive (reactive) system. I feel like the vehicle trys to prevent wheel spin rather than just respond to it. I will be following the OPs experiences to see what it turns out to be.SPPD
SPPD: Our traction control is somewhat unique in that it is not a separate system controlled by a 'Traction Control' computer. 'Traction Control' is handled by the F150's main computer. I'm guessing that's whats meant by it being 'Seamless'. Typically a separate 'Traction Control' computer steps in when it senses wheel spin and takes corrective action. In our trucks the main computer monitors that and takes action without having its control cut into or overridden by a different computer. The main computer 'Seamlessly'(according to Ford) pulls timing to cut power and maintain traction. Everyone else with an Ecoboost F150: If your truck doesn't do what the OP is reporting then there is a problem. Consider our traction control 'proactive' rather than 'reactive'. It is a whole lot safer to never lose traction in the first place than to attempt to regain loss traction. The OP isn't having any problems, he is just feeling the effects of his traction control.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
SPPD: Our traction control is somewhat unique in that it is not a separate system controlled by a 'Traction Control' computer. 'Traction Control' is handled by the F150's main computer. I'm guessing that's whats meant by it being 'Seamless'. Typically a separate 'Traction Control' computer steps in when it senses wheel spin and takes corrective action. In our trucks the main computer monitors that and takes action without having its control cut into or overridden by a different computer. The main computer 'Seamlessly'(according to Ford) pulls timing to cut power and maintain traction. Everyone else with an Ecoboost F150: If your truck doesn't do what the OP is reporting then there is a problem. Consider our traction control 'proactive' rather than 'reactive'. It is a whole lot safer to never lose traction in the first place than to attempt to regain loss traction. The OP isn't having any problems, he is just feeling the effects of his traction control.
So basically you are confirming what I suspected. Good to know. I feel exactly what the OP describes every once in a while. It never felt "wrong" so I figured it was just the way the truck worked which you have now confirmed.

SPPD

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i will add that it doesnt feel like a problem.
i guess a better description would be that it feels like the trans is loosening its grip in anticipation of a gear change but its not changing gears.
i would say its either boost pressure dropping off or timing being retarded and taking away a good 30 hp or more.
i posted this because i wanted to check and see what everyone else is feeling
i will be traveling the same route some time over the next week and try a couple diff scenarios at the very location i notice it the most.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i played around with our theory of the TC being the root cause in power surge during WOT accel and i will say with TC off i did not feel anything like before but i am still not 100% satisfied because weather conditions may or may not have contaminated my results
i tried 2 short pulls yesterday but it was very very HUMID and between 96-99 degrees air temp
i dont doubt that with the hot and humid air it was alot harder to make good power yesterday

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
ok i played around with our theory of the TC being the root cause in power surge during WOT accel and i will say with TC off i did not feel anything like before but i am still not 100% satisfied because weather conditions may or may not have contaminated my results
i tried 2 short pulls yesterday but it was very very HUMID and between 96-99 degrees air temp
i dont doubt that with the hot and humid air it was alot harder to make good power yesterday
Whatever the conditions you'll want to make the run at least twice. One with TC on and then with it TC off. Even if conditions are identical to when you first noticed the 'event' you don't want to compare runs from two different days especially when its a 'seat of the pants' comparison. Yeah the truck will make less power on a hot humid day but you should notice the same 'condition' occur with TC on vs TC off unless what you are noticing isn't related to TC...but I highly doubt that. Enjoy your truck.:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts