F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my BDX and a 93 performance tune from them. I received the base tune a couple days after getting strategy code. the base tune runs good, trans shifts nice and sequentially instead of skipping gears. I ran a datalog to send in, found the cloud stuff to not be working all that well, my BDX will not upload datalogs to the cloud. When I log into derive systems I only have a 'my account' tab but no devices tab so I can't see anything in the cloud. That isn't BCB's fault, obviously, but I gotta get in touch with derive/sct as to why nothing shows up there even though it has been registered to me. I can pull down the tunes from the cloud, which is odd to me that that part would work.

anyway, on to my question. Datalog was sent in Monday evening. Here it is Friday evening and I haven't heard anything from them yet, how quickly or slowly do they turn around tune revisions? I flashed the Highlander tune and saw it doesn't shift sequentially so I emailed on Tuesday asking if that could be changed to sequential shifts and never got a response back or an updated tune. I'm not bashing the tuner, nor do I want this to turn into that, I'm just curious if this is normal response time for them or just my luck.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The BDX cloud service is very unreliable. I always urge people to manually download logs/tunes.

There are a few members on this forum still running their tunes. I do not know their turnaround but I bet it’s usually 2-3 days depending on how busy they are.

Have you tried the preloaded tunes? You’d be surprised how refined they are.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,669 Posts
BCB is a small shop with about 4 people working there. Casey does all the tunes. Been a very busy year for them so be patient. I can tell you the phones are simply jammed with calls and the personnel handling them moved on, an email sent to BCB has a better chance of a quicker answer.
The BDX needs a very solid wifi connection to work with the cloud data system, I have to use a wifi booster in my garrage to get a connection. Otherwise you can directly hook up to a home network computer with a USB patch cable. My experience with BCB is direct face to face in the shop, they are close enough and a reason I chose BCB. Trying not to sound the fanboy, I am very pleased with the tunes, the shop, and the people! KM

Reactions: TimW1968

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The BDX cloud service is very unreliable. I would always urge people to manually download logs/tunes.

There are a few members on this forum still running their tunes. I do not know their turnaround but I bet it’s usually 2-3 days depending on how busy they are.

Have you tried the preloaded tunes? You’d be surprised how refined they are.:cool:
I did end up doing the datalog manually, which is fine. I would like the cloud part to work since it's a feature of the device, though.

I did try the preloaded tune. It was OK, the base 93 performance map feels better so that's what I'm running with right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BCB is a small shop with about 4 people working there. Casey does all the tunes. Been a very busy year for them so be patient. I can tell you the phones are simply jammed with calls and the personnel handling them moved on, an email sent to BCB has a better chance of a quicker answer.
The BDX needs a very solid wifi connection to work with the cloud data system, I have to use a wifi booster in my garrage to get a connection. Otherwise you can directly hook up to a home network computer with a USB patch cable. My experience with BCB is direct face to face in the shop, they are close enough and a reason I chose BCB. Trying not to sound the fanboy, I am very pleased with the tunes, the shop, and the people! KM
It just seems like a week with no response at all is a little long. Maybe I'm spoiled by my old tuner for a prior car, not sure. The base tune feels pretty good, so I'm not complaining. It's just a few little tweaks that I'd like done for the adaptive tune, mainly shift strategy.

My old tuner for my Focus ST was unusually fast. I'd send him a data log and usually have a revision within 2 hours. Hell I sent a log at 1:30am one time and had a revision at 2:15. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
If you hook the BDX directly to a computer with internet connection the process is quick and sure, Derive will normally turn a datalog file back to you via email in a day. Remember to save all the files for future reference.

I use the Highlander during cold weather in WI. due to limited traction. The 93 octane performance runs great in my 2017 2wd RCSB 2.7, even generates respectable MPG of 24+ on long trips. I do add 10% shift presures thru 4th for snappy shifting.

The slow response is directly atributable to getting help to work these days. Have you been into a restaurant lately? KM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you hook the BDX directly to a computer with internet connection the process is quick and sure, Derive will normally turn a datalog file back to you via email in a day. Remember to save all the files for future reference.

I use the Highlander during cold weather in WI. due to limited traction. The 93 octane performance runs great in my 2017 2wd RCSB 2.7, even generates respectable MPG of 24+ on long trips. I do add 10% shift presures thru 4th for snappy shifting. KM
How do you add 10% shift pressure? Have to request it?

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
How do you add 10% shift pressure? Have to request it?
It is a built in choice on the BDX when installing a tune +-5% increments, idle speed, rev limiter, spark advance, gear ratio and tire diameter, are other options. KM

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
I’ve given up on the SCT cloud services. They worked for a while but have stopped functioning recently.

boostking, who used to work for SCT, told me he didn’t even use the cloud services when he worked for them as it was unreliable then.

I’m moving on from SCT once HP Tuners has devices in stock.

As for BCB, I’ve spent quite a bit of money with them, both hardware and software. I have moved on to working with other tuners, due to inconsistencies in communication. I’ll be fair and say I have high standards.

I found it is best to email Casey directly and skip any other contact methods. He can take a few days to respond, and a week or more does not surprise me.

the employee/good help shortage shtick is old news and anyone that uses it loses my business. Give realistic expectations on service, and reasonable customers will understand and and wait thier turn.

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
You can always try updating the BDX with Device Updater. I haven’t had much luck with the cloud service. It seemed more like a promised service that was never fulfilled.
Its clear to me they have infrastructure issues and that they have refused to invest in the correct resolution.
The year is 2022, this stuff is not rocket science. I’m not an expert, but I do get paid to write web based software.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
482 Posts
The Device Updater route plugging the BDX in to the PC to get tunes onto the device is so simple, fast and easy that I truly can’t imagine any cloud-direct solution being an improvement.

Then using LiveLink to pull off data logs is only 1 or 2 clicks less convenient.

As for the canned BDX tune, I was extremely hard pressed to notice any difference on 91.

To be fair it’s only on my 5th revision to my custom tune that I’m starting to notice improvement.

It may just be the 91 and elevation dulling the effect, but the canned 91 tune on my Edge was definitely and obviously noticeable. It just wasn’t very drivable or sophisticated in the transmission department.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,572 Posts
It just seems like a week with no response at all is a little long. Maybe I'm spoiled by my old tuner for a prior car, not sure. The base tune feels pretty good, so I'm not complaining. It's just a few little tweaks that I'd like done for the adaptive tune, mainly shift strategy.

My old tuner for my Focus ST was unusually fast. I'd send him a data log and usually have a revision within 2 hours. Hell I sent a log at 1:30am one time and had a revision at 2:15. Lol
If you do the Facebook thing join
The Brew City Boost (BCB) tuning group. Seems a lot of people are waiting several weeks or more.

As for the cloud stuff, Ive always avoided it

Reactions: CorvZ061

·
Registered
2018 2.7l 4x4
655 Posts
The Device Updater route plugging the BDX in to the PC to get tunes onto the device is so simple, fast and easy that I truly can’t imagine any cloud-direct solution being an improvement.

Then using LiveLink to pull off data logs is only 1 or 2 clicks less convenient.
It was super convenient for me when I was working with BCB. I did not have a windows pc available at that time.

A few button presses and I’d have the latest tune rev ready to flash. A few more and a log file was emailed to me, I’d just forward it to the tuner.

The concept is fantastic. Execution is terrible.

I’m now using parallels on my work mac to use live link and the device updater. It is easy and it works, but if the cloud sync worked I’d still use it.

·
Registered
2018 F150 SCAB, 4x4, 2.7
48 Posts
I’ve given up on the SCT cloud services. They worked for a while but have stopped functioning recently.

boostking, who used to work for SCT, told me he didn’t even use the cloud services when he worked for them as it was unreliable then.

I’m moving on from SCT once HP Tuners has devices in stock.

As for BCB, I’ve spent quite a bit of money with them, both hardware and software. I have moved on to working with other tuners, due to inconsistencies in communication. I’ll be fair and say I have high standards.

I found it is best to email Casey directly and skip any other contact methods. He can take a few days to respond, and a week or more does not surprise me.

the employee/good help shortage shtick is old news and anyone that uses it loses my business. Give realistic expectations on service, and reasonable customers will understand and and wait thier turn.

Who are you tuned with now?

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Corv, did you get thru to BCB?

As I normally go to the shop I did not know the email is specific.
"After You Purchase

A few things happen behind the scenes after making your tune or device purchase.

• After your purchase our staff will then process your order in the order it was received. If you are purchasing hard parts (not tune files) you will receive an automated email with tracking info once all of your parts ship.
  • If you purchased a device with your tune, we will prepare your shipment. Also at that time your vehicle information is placed into our calibrator’s queue in the order it was received.
  • If you purchased a standalone tune file your information will be placed into our calibrators queue. Stand alone tune files usually take between 3 and 5 days depending if all information has been received. ECM, Stock file, Serial….etc
  • If any information is absent, missing, or unclear we will proactively reach out to you for it.
  • Once you receive your tuning device we will need some additional information. The following information must be sent to [email protected].

Please do not send this info to other email addresses as it may not get to our calibrator.

• If you own an nGauge we will need your stock file read nGauge Reading Stock File
  • If you purchased an SCT product we will need your ECU or ECM strategy number and device serial number
  • If you purchased the EZ Lynk with the app running you will need to tap on the “ ? “ and lynk [email protected] as your technician. You will receive a notification on your preferred device when your tunes have arrived.
  • If you purchased the Cobb send your VIN and the serial number of your Cobb device, (ex. FORXXXXXXX).
  • Once your customer file is complete the calibrator can then write your tune files.

Once your tune file(s) have been completed you will receive an email with instructions on how to load the tune file into the device and onto your vehicle. "

quoted from BCB website Tuning 101. KM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Corv, did you get thru to BCB?

As I normally go to the shop I did not know the email is specific.
"After You Purchase

A few things happen behind the scenes after making your tune or device purchase.

• After your purchase our staff will then process your order in the order it was received. If you are purchasing hard parts (not tune files) you will receive an automated email with tracking info once all of your parts ship.
  • If you purchased a device with your tune, we will prepare your shipment. Also at that time your vehicle information is placed into our calibrator’s queue in the order it was received.
  • If you purchased a standalone tune file your information will be placed into our calibrators queue. Stand alone tune files usually take between 3 and 5 days depending if all information has been received. ECM, Stock file, Serial….etc
  • If any information is absent, missing, or unclear we will proactively reach out to you for it.
  • Once you receive your tuning device we will need some additional information. The following information must be sent to [email protected].

Please do not send this info to other email addresses as it may not get to our calibrator.

• If you own an nGauge we will need your stock file read nGauge Reading Stock File
  • If you purchased an SCT product we will need your ECU or ECM strategy number and device serial number
  • If you purchased the EZ Lynk with the app running you will need to tap on the “ ? “ and lynk [email protected] as your technician. You will receive a notification on your preferred device when your tunes have arrived.
  • If you purchased the Cobb send your VIN and the serial number of your Cobb device, (ex. FORXXXXXXX).
  • Once your customer file is complete the calibrator can then write your tune files.

Once your tune file(s) have been completed you will receive an email with instructions on how to load the tune file into the device and onto your vehicle. "

quoted from BCB website Tuning 101. KM
Still haven't heard anything from them as of today. The datalog was sent via the 'send a datalog' link on their website, but I asked Casey directly about changing shift strategy on the Highlander tune and mentioned I had sent the datalog via the website link. Still a week with no response of any kind.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
The Highlander tune is fixed and can not be adjusted, except with your changes to the shifting when installing the tune. Your BDX allows customization for shifts by adding or sutracting shift presure in 5% increments. Other changes to the tune need the switch to a custon data loged tune, 91 or 93 custom performance tunes for example. The custom tunes can be updated and shifting strategy changed in the programing of the custom tune. The Highlander is an off the shelf tune and cannot be altered by Casey. KM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Highlander tune is fixed and can not be adjusted, except with your changes to the shifting when installing the tune. Your BDX allows customization for shifts by adding or sutracting shift presure in 5% increments. Other changes to the tune need the switch to a custon data loged tune, 91 or 93 custom performance tunes for example. The custom tunes can be updated and shifting strategy changed in the programing of the custom tune. The Highlander is an off the shelf tune and cannot be altered by Casey. KM
The datalog was for the 93 performance tune.

I figured the adaptive tune was locked, but thought I'd ask if it were possible to make that change since it isn't altering any other part of the tune.

At this point if I haven't heard anything by Friday, even a simple email response, I'll just move on to a different tuner.

·
Moderstrator
4,352 Posts
Yeah, I believe in cutting a guy a break but assuming the information was sent to the right place a week's too long for me.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts