F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
I’ve given up on the SCT cloud services. They worked for a while but have stopped functioning recently.

boostking, who used to work for SCT, told me he didn’t even use the cloud services when he worked for them as it was unreliable then.

I’m moving on from SCT once HP Tuners has devices in stock.

As for BCB, I’ve spent quite a bit of money with them, both hardware and software. I have moved on to working with other tuners, due to inconsistencies in communication. I’ll be fair and say I have high standards.

I found it is best to email Casey directly and skip any other contact methods. He can take a few days to respond, and a week or more does not surprise me.

the employee/good help shortage shtick is old news and anyone that uses it loses my business. Give realistic expectations on service, and reasonable customers will understand and and wait thier turn.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You can always try updating the BDX with Device Updater. I haven’t had much luck with the cloud service. It seemed more like a promised service that was never fulfilled.
Its clear to me they have infrastructure issues and that they have refused to invest in the correct resolution.
The year is 2022, this stuff is not rocket science. I’m not an expert, but I do get paid to write web based software.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The Device Updater route plugging the BDX in to the PC to get tunes onto the device is so simple, fast and easy that I truly can’t imagine any cloud-direct solution being an improvement.

Then using LiveLink to pull off data logs is only 1 or 2 clicks less convenient.
It was super convenient for me when I was working with BCB. I did not have a windows pc available at that time.

A few button presses and I’d have the latest tune rev ready to flash. A few more and a log file was emailed to me, I’d just forward it to the tuner.

The concept is fantastic. Execution is terrible.

I’m now using parallels on my work mac to use live link and the device updater. It is easy and it works, but if the cloud sync worked I’d still use it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I spent good money with another tuner that comes recommended here and had over a week response time and then once communication was established, told that it would be an additional week and a half before I received the services I paid for. I was pretty upset because it ended up changing the plans I had made after spending a considerable amount for a few tunes.

I had went with BCB for my first time getting into ecoboosts and they had terrible turnaround times, poor response time and when I did get a response it was like I was a burden.

Went to Gearhead tuning for some stuff and communication and response times were great but they refused to revise a tune after a datalog.

I’m with MPT now and as busy as they are, I still get informative replies within a day, revisions within a day and honestly, the truck has never felt as good as it does now. They perfected the shift strategies and the way the truck runs on ethanol is a huge improvement from tunes on 93. Mike has been extremely helpful when it came down to go over datalogs. He’s helped me chase a boost leak and a fuel pressure issue.

I feel some of these companies offering tune services should be held accountable for having poor customer services. The masses spends good money and I know several people with bad experiences but they just say oh well, and go to another tuner. I’ve started leaving reviews in hopes people will do some research before spending the money.
It's kinda validating to hear your experiences were similar to mine. I've got high standards, and I can be a bit of a nuisance so I don't always expect other's experiences to match mine..

I'm not going to post names anymore, but if anyone wants to hear about it I'd talk about it via PM.

For that reason I've decided to keep tuning info to myself for the most part. I've had some good experiences and some bad, but every situation is different and I don't want to crap on someone for what might be a one off scenario.

·
Registered
732 Posts
From a tuner's point of view, it is challenging to manage the tune files of several customers at the same time. However, speaking from experience, when I know I'm going to be working on a difficult problem or a complex tune that requires my 100% attention, I let my other customers know that it might take a few days to get back to them. A lot of these shops underestimate the importance of communication and they take on too many customers at one time. There is no way a tuner can do a good thorough job when they are tuning for multiple customers at one time. I'll just add that it is a lot easier if your tuner has physical access to the vehicle and to a dyno. The process goes a lot faster and the result is better. Tuning remotely w/datalogging will get you 90% there, but nothing beats working with a vehicle in person.
I appreciate you posting from the Tuner's POV. Not many stick around forums much these days.. I can make a guess why.

·
Registered
732 Posts
This exactly.
I am extremely picky as well and OCD when it comes to this stuff among other things. I’ve come to the point where I try to keep all that stuff to myself as well, but if people reach out to me I will let them know my experiences.
I do have multiple hundreds of dollars in tunes from other companies that I will never use, it’s irritating when I think about it so I just try not to think about it and enjoy the excellent tuning I have now.

I always find it interesting how some companies/tunes just mesh well with some trucks/people and for others they don't, but that is life I suppose as with anything.

One thing for sure there’s not one company out there that I have found where every single customer is happy.
I've wasted more money on worse things.. Each tuning experience has been a valuable learning experience and that to me is worth the money spent.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Final update on this saga. BCB still hasn't sent a revision.

Flashed the MPT 93 PR-X tune today. Wow what a difference in tuning styles. The bcb tune ran good, it was pretty responsive and felt like it was making pretty good power. But the drive ability for day to day was a little behind stock. They had the Trans shifting sequentially, but it was sometime a little harsh, surely from throttle input pushing it to a different table and fuel mileage was down from stock quite a bit. Average dropped from 20.2 stock to 16.8. Same kind of driving.

MPT feels like it makes more power, though it could be how it gives you the power. BCB felt a little soft by comparison. BCB would never chirp tires on a shift, MPT 1-2 results in wheel spin and 2-3 is a nice scratch, I know that comes down to line pressure in the Trans tuning. The drive ability is where the biggest difference lies. It's like OEM+ the Trans shifts sequentially, but you almost can't feel the shift just hear a change in RPM. No idea about mileage yet, but I suspect it will be somewhere in between stock and bcb if I keep my foot out of it.
did you do a kam and tcm reset in between tunes? The weird shifting may just be the truck adjusting to the new strategy, and resetting things may help

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had similar delays and other issues with 5*, and considered BCB…very glad I went with MPT instead,

kist like others in this thread, Mike and @More Power Tuning are top notch. My tunes are awesome, but above all the customer service is amazing. I get revisions within a day, email responses to questions that are full paragraphs, and quick problem solving. Mike worked with me to get the tunes to my liking and is even doing a special request(87 E50 tune!).

glad you decided to go with them!
you’re mixing 87 with e85 to get e50?

just looking for fuel cost savings? I guess that’s still a respectable ~94 “octane”

·
Registered
732 Posts
When I had an e85 tune from BCB, they did three revisions. Casey has tuned a bunch of these trucks, so he likely has a pretty stout base tune… not turned up all the way, but pretty close.

he added timing and boost in my second and third revs. The trans tune and other things are likely ’final’ on what you got. I sense that MPT is likely similar, but with their own ‘flair’

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've been waiting for 3 weeks now for a revision. I was able to get them to confirm that it was received and was also told, "we have received it and you're in line to have it looked at. Our turn around times are 1-2 weeks for tune revisions." It's been a week or more since then.
That is really a shame.. I don't doubt Casey's ability as a tuner, but something is keeping him from turning revs over quickly..

Torrie @ Unleashed is your guy if you want quick response. I think I did 8 revisions/logs in one day.. My final tune took close to 30 revs and we did that in less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hey guys.
Not to hijack, same topic and looking for a bit of advice on how to handle this similar situation.
I have ran a LMS canned tune for a couple years, was looking for something more. I was undecided on a new tuner for awhile, especially after regretting my LMS choice. I bought a BDX, plugs and 91 custom and E85 custom tunes from BCB on 8-22, shipped within 2 days. I sent them the required info to the tune email listed on their site a little over 2 weeks ago. I still don’t have their 2 canned tunes or the base custom tunes.
I have been lurking and know their website is gutted and I did email them one more time to check in and tell them I hope everything is ok with them personally and professionally. Still have not heard anything. I had made an assumption they would continue their remote tuning, especially since they shipped me the parts after they closed the shop.

I really would like the tunes from them, I am not upset and I don’t want to fight or * about them. I have a friend with their 91&E85 tune and it’s awesome. We both “think” Casey will get back to me.

So other than go back in time and buy from them sooner, or not buy at all, what is the most appropriate thing to do now? Do I keep waiting or do you think nothing will happen?

As a person who works with projects, engineers and high stakes at my job also, I understand how things get and how customers can be. I can even empathize or theorize why they may have decided to close shop. All I’m saying is I understand, but at the same time, when the music stops here, I want a chair too, I am willing to wait a little, but I want to get what I paid for and not less.

Thanks for reading

Rollie

I'd be starting a chargeback via the credit card I paid with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts