F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my BDX and a 93 performance tune from them. I received the base tune a couple days after getting strategy code. the base tune runs good, trans shifts nice and sequentially instead of skipping gears. I ran a datalog to send in, found the cloud stuff to not be working all that well, my BDX will not upload datalogs to the cloud. When I log into derive systems I only have a 'my account' tab but no devices tab so I can't see anything in the cloud. That isn't BCB's fault, obviously, but I gotta get in touch with derive/sct as to why nothing shows up there even though it has been registered to me. I can pull down the tunes from the cloud, which is odd to me that that part would work.

anyway, on to my question. Datalog was sent in Monday evening. Here it is Friday evening and I haven't heard anything from them yet, how quickly or slowly do they turn around tune revisions? I flashed the Highlander tune and saw it doesn't shift sequentially so I emailed on Tuesday asking if that could be changed to sequential shifts and never got a response back or an updated tune. I'm not bashing the tuner, nor do I want this to turn into that, I'm just curious if this is normal response time for them or just my luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The BDX cloud service is very unreliable. I would always urge people to manually download logs/tunes.

There are a few members on this forum still running their tunes. I do not know their turnaround but I bet it’s usually 2-3 days depending on how busy they are.

Have you tried the preloaded tunes? You’d be surprised how refined they are.:cool:
I did end up doing the datalog manually, which is fine. I would like the cloud part to work since it's a feature of the device, though.

I did try the preloaded tune. It was OK, the base 93 performance map feels better so that's what I'm running with right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BCB is a small shop with about 4 people working there. Casey does all the tunes. Been a very busy year for them so be patient. I can tell you the phones are simply jammed with calls and the personnel handling them moved on, an email sent to BCB has a better chance of a quicker answer.
The BDX needs a very solid wifi connection to work with the cloud data system, I have to use a wifi booster in my garrage to get a connection. Otherwise you can directly hook up to a home network computer with a USB patch cable. My experience with BCB is direct face to face in the shop, they are close enough and a reason I chose BCB. Trying not to sound the fanboy, I am very pleased with the tunes, the shop, and the people! KM
It just seems like a week with no response at all is a little long. Maybe I'm spoiled by my old tuner for a prior car, not sure. The base tune feels pretty good, so I'm not complaining. It's just a few little tweaks that I'd like done for the adaptive tune, mainly shift strategy.

My old tuner for my Focus ST was unusually fast. I'd send him a data log and usually have a revision within 2 hours. Hell I sent a log at 1:30am one time and had a revision at 2:15. Lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you hook the BDX directly to a computer with internet connection the process is quick and sure, Derive will normally turn a datalog file back to you via email in a day. Remember to save all the files for future reference.

I use the Highlander during cold weather in WI. due to limited traction. The 93 octane performance runs great in my 2017 2wd RCSB 2.7, even generates respectable MPG of 24+ on long trips. I do add 10% shift presures thru 4th for snappy shifting. KM
How do you add 10% shift pressure? Have to request it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Corv, did you get thru to BCB?

As I normally go to the shop I did not know the email is specific.
"After You Purchase

A few things happen behind the scenes after making your tune or device purchase.

• After your purchase our staff will then process your order in the order it was received. If you are purchasing hard parts (not tune files) you will receive an automated email with tracking info once all of your parts ship.
  • If you purchased a device with your tune, we will prepare your shipment. Also at that time your vehicle information is placed into our calibrator’s queue in the order it was received.
  • If you purchased a standalone tune file your information will be placed into our calibrators queue. Stand alone tune files usually take between 3 and 5 days depending if all information has been received. ECM, Stock file, Serial….etc
  • If any information is absent, missing, or unclear we will proactively reach out to you for it.
  • Once you receive your tuning device we will need some additional information. The following information must be sent to [email protected].

Please do not send this info to other email addresses as it may not get to our calibrator.

• If you own an nGauge we will need your stock file read nGauge Reading Stock File
  • If you purchased an SCT product we will need your ECU or ECM strategy number and device serial number
  • If you purchased the EZ Lynk with the app running you will need to tap on the “ ? “ and lynk [email protected] as your technician. You will receive a notification on your preferred device when your tunes have arrived.
  • If you purchased the Cobb send your VIN and the serial number of your Cobb device, (ex. FORXXXXXXX).
  • Once your customer file is complete the calibrator can then write your tune files.

Once your tune file(s) have been completed you will receive an email with instructions on how to load the tune file into the device and onto your vehicle. "

quoted from BCB website Tuning 101. KM
Still haven't heard anything from them as of today. The datalog was sent via the 'send a datalog' link on their website, but I asked Casey directly about changing shift strategy on the Highlander tune and mentioned I had sent the datalog via the website link. Still a week with no response of any kind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Highlander tune is fixed and can not be adjusted, except with your changes to the shifting when installing the tune. Your BDX allows customization for shifts by adding or sutracting shift presure in 5% increments. Other changes to the tune need the switch to a custon data loged tune, 91 or 93 custom performance tunes for example. The custom tunes can be updated and shifting strategy changed in the programing of the custom tune. The Highlander is an off the shelf tune and cannot be altered by Casey. KM
The datalog was for the 93 performance tune.

I figured the adaptive tune was locked, but thought I'd ask if it were possible to make that change since it isn't altering any other part of the tune.

At this point if I haven't heard anything by Friday, even a simple email response, I'll just move on to a different tuner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
2 weeks tomorrow, no revision still. I did get an email back on Thursday after asking for some kind of confirmation that they even received my datalogs. Was told 1-2 week turn around on revisions, which is unacceptable to me. I'll just leave things how they are on that front. I get paid on Friday and am going to give MPT a shot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Final update on this saga. BCB still hasn't sent a revision.

Flashed the MPT 93 PR-X tune today. Wow what a difference in tuning styles. The bcb tune ran good, it was pretty responsive and felt like it was making pretty good power. But the drive ability for day to day was a little behind stock. They had the Trans shifting sequentially, but it was sometime a little harsh, surely from throttle input pushing it to a different table and fuel mileage was down from stock quite a bit. Average dropped from 20.2 stock to 16.8. Same kind of driving.

MPT feels like it makes more power, though it could be how it gives you the power. BCB felt a little soft by comparison. BCB would never chirp tires on a shift, MPT 1-2 results in wheel spin and 2-3 is a nice scratch, I know that comes down to line pressure in the Trans tuning. The drive ability is where the biggest difference lies. It's like OEM+ the Trans shifts sequentially, but you almost can't feel the shift just hear a change in RPM. No idea about mileage yet, but I suspect it will be somewhere in between stock and bcb if I keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
did you do a kam and tcm reset in between tunes? The weird shifting may just be the truck adjusting to the new strategy, and resetting things may help
I did, yes. The BCB tune was just not as aggressive feeling. Maybe that was because it was just the base tune and I could never get them to send a revision. Not sure, as I have nothing to base it off of with them. The base map from mpt is definitely more aggressive feeling on a base tune. Definitely going to drive it some and datalog it after it learns a little.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
When I had an e85 tune from BCB, they did three revisions. Casey has tuned a bunch of these trucks, so he likely has a pretty stout base tune… not turned up all the way, but pretty close.

he added timing and boost in my second and third revs. The trans tune and other things are likely ’final’ on what you got. I sense that MPT is likely similar, but with their own ‘flair’
I've been waiting for 3 weeks now for a revision. I was able to get them to confirm that it was received and was also told, "we have received it and you're in line to have it looked at. Our turn around times are 1-2 weeks for tune revisions." It's been a week or more since then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That is really a shame.. I don't doubt Casey's ability as a tuner, but something is keeping him from turning revs over quickly..

Torrie @ Unleashed is your guy if you want quick response. I think I did 8 revisions/logs in one day.. My final tune took close to 30 revs and we did that in less than 2 weeks.
I
That is really a shame.. I don't doubt Casey's ability as a tuner, but something is keeping him from turning revs over quickly..

Torrie @ Unleashed is your guy if you want quick response. I think I did 8 revisions/logs in one day.. My final tune took close to 30 revs and we did that in less than 2 weeks.
Torrie has a pretty good reputation. I thought about using him too, I know a lot of people that have used him on other platforms and they've all been satisfied.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
An update for the questions about BCB. Was in the shop today and the place is empty, Marv I and another customer talking. Casey and Kelly decided to close and move on with their young families. I can not fault them for that. Best of luck and life to them.

The info denied to customers is for others to decide. It could have been handled better. KM
That would make sense for the lack of communication. I hope the best for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey guys.
Not to hijack, same topic and looking for a bit of advice on how to handle this similar situation.
I have ran a LMS canned tune for a couple years, was looking for something more. I was undecided on a new tuner for awhile, especially after regretting my LMS choice. I bought a BDX, plugs and 91 custom and E85 custom tunes from BCB on 8-22, shipped within 2 days. I sent them the required info to the tune email listed on their site a little over 2 weeks ago. I still don’t have their 2 canned tunes or the base custom tunes.
I have been lurking and know their website is gutted and I did email them one more time to check in and tell them I hope everything is ok with them personally and professionally. Still have not heard anything. I had made an assumption they would continue their remote tuning, especially since they shipped me the parts after they closed the shop.

I really would like the tunes from them, I am not upset and I don’t want to fight or * about them. I have a friend with their 91&E85 tune and it’s awesome. We both “think” Casey will get back to me.

So other than go back in time and buy from them sooner, or not buy at all, what is the most appropriate thing to do now? Do I keep waiting or do you think nothing will happen?

As a person who works with projects, engineers and high stakes at my job also, I understand how things get and how customers can be. I can even empathize or theorize why they may have decided to close shop. All I’m saying is I understand, but at the same time, when the music stops here, I want a chair too, I am willing to wait a little, but I want to get what I paid for and not less.

Thanks for reading

Rollie
I did eventually get a tube file back from them, a few weeks ago. But last I heard they shut down shop and likely won't be sending anything else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I appreciate it! I knew they were closing shop but I heard or thought they were specifically continuing remote tuning, so I bought it after they closed, they shipped it, that’s why I’m just concerned after later seeing the website come down (mostly), and FB page paused, and some other later clues, that I’m not going to be receiving anything further. It’s on me for making an assumption but I also would never ship a product to a customer I didn’t intend to support, and I didn’t think they would either. He may still respond so I’m not writing it off but gave it one more chance with it this morning. If I don’t hear anything I will dispute it with CC, I think I have 30 days.
Just curious CorvZ061, did you try out the tune they sent back?
I appreciate you guys chiming in to give your perspectives, very much. Lots of good guys on this forum.
I did not. I moved on to MPT and haven't looked back

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I am the same way when it comes to throttle mapping. I don't like skip shifting, but can live with it. With my MPT tune it was as you described. 1/2 pedal felt like full throttle with very little discernable difference once you did go WOT. I told them I wasn't a fan of that for normal drive modes as it really just hurts fuel economy with how I normally drive being used to carbureted engines in my other stuff. They changed the throttle mapping to be a linear curve with pedal position.

The only thing we're working through now is a harsh downshift from 9th to 8th when completely off the throttle. But it's been improved on with the last revision and I suspect it'll be completely gone this time since I was able to catch it in a datalog which I've never been successful doing before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts