F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
The datalog was for the 93 performance tune.

I figured the adaptive tune was locked, but thought I'd ask if it were possible to make that change since it isn't altering any other part of the tune.

At this point if I haven't heard anything by Friday, even a simple email response, I'll just move on to a different tuner.
I spent good money with another tuner that comes recommended here and had over a week response time and then once communication was established, told that it would be an additional week and a half before I received the services I paid for. I was pretty upset because it ended up changing the plans I had made after spending a considerable amount for a few tunes.

I had went with BCB for my first time getting into ecoboosts and they had terrible turnaround times, poor response time and when I did get a response it was like I was a burden.

Went to Gearhead tuning for some stuff and communication and response times were great but they refused to revise a tune after a datalog.

I’m with MPT now and as busy as they are, I still get informative replies within a day, revisions within a day and honestly, the truck has never felt as good as it does now. They perfected the shift strategies and the way the truck runs on ethanol is a huge improvement from tunes on 93. Mike has been extremely helpful when it came down to go over datalogs. He’s helped me chase a boost leak and a fuel pressure issue.

I feel some of these companies offering tune services should be held accountable for having poor customer services. The masses spends good money and I know several people with bad experiences but they just say oh well, and go to another tuner. I’ve started leaving reviews in hopes people will do some research before spending the money.

·
Moderstrator
1,864 Posts
I feel some of these companies offering tune services should be held accountable for having poor customer services. The masses spends good money and I know several people with bad experiences but they just say oh well, and go to another tuner. I’ve started leaving reviews in hopes people will do some research before spending the money.
Factual reviews, both negative and positive, are very helpful for others to make decisions. Other than a first hand account or referral from a person you know, the reviews are next best thing. But searching through them to weed out the bitter or false reviews or even the purchased positive reviews from people who have never tried the service or product is challenging.
Perhaps we can create a product review thread in our Forum?
I’ll check on this…

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
I spent good money with another tuner that comes recommended here and had over a week response time and then once communication was established, told that it would be an additional week and a half before I received the services I paid for. I was pretty upset because it ended up changing the plans I had made after spending a considerable amount for a few tunes.

I had went with BCB for my first time getting into ecoboosts and they had terrible turnaround times, poor response time and when I did get a response it was like I was a burden.

Went to Gearhead tuning for some stuff and communication and response times were great but they refused to revise a tune after a datalog.

I’m with MPT now and as busy as they are, I still get informative replies within a day, revisions within a day and honestly, the truck has never felt as good as it does now. They perfected the shift strategies and the way the truck runs on ethanol is a huge improvement from tunes on 93. Mike has been extremely helpful when it came down to go over datalogs. He’s helped me chase a boost leak and a fuel pressure issue.

You mentioned everyone's name except the first one. Who was that?

·
Registered
732 Posts

It's kinda validating to hear your experiences were similar to mine. I've got high standards, and I can be a bit of a nuisance so I don't always expect other's experiences to match mine..

I'm not going to post names anymore, but if anyone wants to hear about it I'd talk about it via PM.

For that reason I've decided to keep tuning info to myself for the most part. I've had some good experiences and some bad, but every situation is different and I don't want to crap on someone for what might be a one off scenario.

·
TL Tech Custom Tuning
94 Posts
From a tuner's point of view, it is challenging to manage the tune files of several customers at the same time. However, speaking from experience, when I know I'm going to be working on a difficult problem or a complex tune that requires my 100% attention, I let my other customers know that it might take a few days to get back to them. A lot of these shops underestimate the importance of communication and they take on too many customers at one time. There is no way a tuner can do a good thorough job when they are tuning for multiple customers at one time. I'll just add that it is a lot easier if your tuner has physical access to the vehicle and to a dyno. The process goes a lot faster and the result is better. Tuning remotely w/datalogging will get you 90% there, but nothing beats working with a vehicle in person.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,586 Posts
It's kinda validating to hear your experiences were similar to mine. I've got high standards, and I can be a bit of a nuisance so I don't always expect other's experiences to match mine..

I'm not going to post names anymore, but if anyone wants to hear about it I'd talk about it via PM.

For that reason I've decided to keep tuning info to myself for the most part. I've had some good experiences and some bad, but every situation is different and I don't want to crap on someone for what might be a one off scenario.
This exactly.
I am extremely picky as well and OCD when it comes to this stuff among other things. I’ve come to the point where I try to keep all that stuff to myself as well, but if people reach out to me I will let them know my experiences.
I do have multiple hundreds of dollars in tunes from other companies that I will never use, it’s irritating when I think about it so I just try not to think about it and enjoy the excellent tuning I have now.

I always find it interesting how some companies/tunes just mesh well with some trucks/people and for others they don't, but that is life I suppose as with anything.

One thing for sure there’s not one company out there that I have found where every single customer is happy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
From a tuner's point of view, it is challenging to manage the tune files of several customers at the same time. However, speaking from experience, when I know I'm going to be working on a difficult problem or a complex tune that requires my 100% attention, I let my other customers know that it might take a few days to get back to them. A lot of these shops underestimate the importance of communication and they take on too many customers at one time. There is no way a tuner can do a good thorough job when they are tuning for multiple customers at one time. I'll just add that it is a lot easier if your tuner has physical access to the vehicle and to a dyno. The process goes a lot faster and the result is better. Tuning remotely w/datalogging will get you 90% there, but nothing beats working with a vehicle in person.
I appreciate you posting from the Tuner's POV. Not many stick around forums much these days.. I can make a guess why.

·
Registered
732 Posts
This exactly.
I am extremely picky as well and OCD when it comes to this stuff among other things. I’ve come to the point where I try to keep all that stuff to myself as well, but if people reach out to me I will let them know my experiences.
I do have multiple hundreds of dollars in tunes from other companies that I will never use, it’s irritating when I think about it so I just try not to think about it and enjoy the excellent tuning I have now.

I always find it interesting how some companies/tunes just mesh well with some trucks/people and for others they don't, but that is life I suppose as with anything.

One thing for sure there’s not one company out there that I have found where every single customer is happy.
I've wasted more money on worse things.. Each tuning experience has been a valuable learning experience and that to me is worth the money spent.

·
Registered
2019 f150 3.5 ecoboost crew cab 4x4 heavy tow package fx4 6.5' bed highly modified
6,586 Posts
I've wasted more money on worse things.. Each tuning experience has been a valuable learning experience and that to me is worth the money spent.
Amen to that brother

• Haha
Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
2 weeks tomorrow, no revision still. I did get an email back on Thursday after asking for some kind of confirmation that they even received my datalogs. Was told 1-2 week turn around on revisions, which is unacceptable to me. I'll just leave things how they are on that front. I get paid on Friday and am going to give MPT a shot.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
A big thing when it comes to tuning, is how the tuner writes the file. A well know tuner will use your latest strategy and work off it. While others use a very old strategy that they built off of years ago and copy everything over. The preloads atleast do a better job at this than some companies. Hence why I always tell people to try them first. This I believe is how trucks react differently.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
A big thing when it comes to tuning, is how the tuner writes the file. A well know tuner will use your latest strategy and work off it. While others use a very old strategy that they built off of years ago and copy everything over. The preloads atleast do a better job at this than some companies. Hence why I always tell people to try them first. This I believe is how trucks react differently.
This I have found to be true as well.
I personally don’t know about BCB but I know for a fact companies like MPT do just from conversations I've had with Mike and 5 Star also who I chat with occasionally. 5 Star has actually within the past year went through and redone all their base files to update to newest strategies.
It definitely makes a difference.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
2 weeks tomorrow, no revision still. I did get an email back on Thursday after asking for some kind of confirmation that they even received my datalogs. Was told 1-2 week turn around on revisions, which is unacceptable to me. I'll just leave things how they are on that front. I get paid on Friday and am going to give MPT a shot.
I think you will appreciate the timely response time from Mike @More Power Tuning ;

Edit :
Again though, not taking anything away from BCB, I have zero personal experience with them.

Reactions: JaBoogedy

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,733 Posts
As I mentioned I am happy with the BCB service but do remember my proximity makes face to face tune discussion and updating simple. KM

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
well I can relate.... I have gone through 6 well known tuners and all have their good, med and bad points........... as I have pointed out, the most well rounded are the hard ones to find

I should do a very detailed thread about them a;;, contact, communication, time between and end product .....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had similar delays and other issues with 5*, and considered BCB…very glad I went with MPT instead,

kist like others in this thread, Mike and @More Power Tuning are top notch. My tunes are awesome, but above all the customer service is amazing. I get revisions within a day, email responses to questions that are full paragraphs, and quick problem solving. Mike worked with me to get the tunes to my liking and is even doing a special request(87 E50 tune!).

glad you decided to go with them!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Final update on this saga. BCB still hasn't sent a revision.

Flashed the MPT 93 PR-X tune today. Wow what a difference in tuning styles. The bcb tune ran good, it was pretty responsive and felt like it was making pretty good power. But the drive ability for day to day was a little behind stock. They had the Trans shifting sequentially, but it was sometime a little harsh, surely from throttle input pushing it to a different table and fuel mileage was down from stock quite a bit. Average dropped from 20.2 stock to 16.8. Same kind of driving.

MPT feels like it makes more power, though it could be how it gives you the power. BCB felt a little soft by comparison. BCB would never chirp tires on a shift, MPT 1-2 results in wheel spin and 2-3 is a nice scratch, I know that comes down to line pressure in the Trans tuning. The drive ability is where the biggest difference lies. It's like OEM+ the Trans shifts sequentially, but you almost can't feel the shift just hear a change in RPM. No idea about mileage yet, but I suspect it will be somewhere in between stock and bcb if I keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Final update on this saga. BCB still hasn't sent a revision.

Flashed the MPT 93 PR-X tune today. Wow what a difference in tuning styles. The bcb tune ran good, it was pretty responsive and felt like it was making pretty good power. But the drive ability for day to day was a little behind stock. They had the Trans shifting sequentially, but it was sometime a little harsh, surely from throttle input pushing it to a different table and fuel mileage was down from stock quite a bit. Average dropped from 20.2 stock to 16.8. Same kind of driving.

MPT feels like it makes more power, though it could be how it gives you the power. BCB felt a little soft by comparison. BCB would never chirp tires on a shift, MPT 1-2 results in wheel spin and 2-3 is a nice scratch, I know that comes down to line pressure in the Trans tuning. The drive ability is where the biggest difference lies. It's like OEM+ the Trans shifts sequentially, but you almost can't feel the shift just hear a change in RPM. No idea about mileage yet, but I suspect it will be somewhere in between stock and bcb if I keep my foot out of it.
did you do a kam and tcm reset in between tunes? The weird shifting may just be the truck adjusting to the new strategy, and resetting things may help

21 - 40 of 65 Posts