F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has talked about in here but I can't seem to find anything...

just recently bought my first ecoboost f150 and I am hearing a lot about the carbon build up problems. My question, are there any fuel additives that can help keep the fuel system and valves clean that wont void my warranty or cause any problems with the turbos? With ford not having any approved "safe" fuel system and intake cleaning services that dealers usually can perform I feel that I need to do what I can to keep my truck running strong with no issues for it's life as I plan on owning my new f150 for at least 10 to 15 years.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm a Chevron fan through and through. Put over 150k miles on an '05 Accord V6 using nothing but Chevron the entire time and the valves, head and pistons were all carbon free (which I found surprising). So I've only used Chevron in my Eco.

But it to be more scientific about this, the fuel isn't going to help much if at all in keeping valves clean. We have direct injection, which means no fuel air mix spraying across valves to keep them clean...only oily air mist. Best current option seems to be running a catch can to keep all this gunk from coking onto the valves and creating build up.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I agree with some of Mike Woods comments, but not all (no disrespect, Mike :))

With the design of our direct inject engines there is absolutely no way to completely eliminate carbon build-up (valve coking). But there are steps that can be taken to help slow the inevitable considerably, and get a long life span out of your trucks engine.
1. Run the highest quality fuel possible and with that, many will suggest the highest octane possible as well. Good, clean gas will burn more efficiently and pass less junk in the exhaust cycle than low grade stuff.
2. Increased frequency in oil changes. Do not listen to the Ford's owners manual suggestion of 7500 miles between oil changes. The most prevalent suggestion by many is to do it at least every 5K (I chose to do mine every 3,000-3,500).
3. Use a good quality, full-synthetic oil when doing your oil changes. At the very least, use a good quality semi-synthetic blend.
4. Even though i have my negative issues with them- install a catch-can, they are proven to help....whether it be a little or a lot is up for argument, but they do help.
5. Take care of your ride but don't be afraid to perform the "Italian Tune-Up" every now and then. In other words, get on the throttle and run that thing hard every now and then. This is supposed to break up little bits of contaminants and pass them right on through the system.

Hope this helps. - Clark

Reactions: Mike Wood

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you gonna put 87 in... At least every 5 fill ups, put techron and 93, then do a few open throttle rides before that mix is out. It help clean things up.

That said, I was at AZ the other day looking for one of those door stopper things because mine disappeared some how. Anyways, I took a glance at the price of techron and dude just started telling me how I should look at the foam because his eco ride is on fire driving like mad. Good luck to that guys. Lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Use top tier fuel and quality oil at recommended oil change intervals.

There have been ZERO independent studies on the 3.5 Ecoboost that show they suffer from intake valve deposits like the older Audi/VW and BMW engines suffered from. Until a real fleet study is done where these trucks are used similarly and one group uses catch cans and short OCI's while the other group stays stock and runs recommended OCI's those recommendations are at best guesses. Keep in mind MOST of the 500k+ owners of Ecoboost F150's don't use catch cans and change their oil when the dealer says to or using the OLM and there simply isn't a widely reported issue.

I'm sure the catch can fanboys will flame me on this in 3...2...1

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Techron

·
Registered
79 Posts
Use top tier fuel and quality oil at recommended oil change intervals. There have been ZERO independent studies on the 3.5 Ecoboost that show they suffer from intake valve deposits like the older Audi/VW and BMW engines suffered from. Until a real fleet study is done where these trucks are used similarly and one group uses catch cans and short OCI's while the other group stays stock and runs recommended OCI's those recommendations are at best guesses. Keep in mind MOST of the 500k+ owners of Ecoboost F150's don't use catch cans and change their oil when the dealer says to or using the OLM and there simply isn't a widely reported issue. I'm sure the catch can fanboys will flame me on this in 3...2...1
Exactly lol. Because it's direct injection that moisture is pretty much steam cleaning the valves when the pcv gunk goes back in. All that water from the charge air system is like water/meth injection lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts