F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an aero turbine 3030xl.
I'd like to install ing myself. But there doesn't look like there is enough straight pipe after the muffler to clamp to.
Just curious if anyone else installed there own muffler and was able to clamp onto what is left of the front tail pipe section.

2011 lariat crew 5.5 bed Leveled, machined rockstars , grabbers, weather tech mudflaps , sub mod, tailgate assist

·
Registered
674 Posts
It will cost you more to buy clamps and a small piece of pipe than an exhaust shop will charge to weld it in.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the pipe and clamps from another project. That's why I would rather do if myself.

2011 lariat crew 5.5 bed Leveled, machined rockstars , grabbers, weather tech mudflaps , sub mod, tailgate assist

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ahh, I see. When the muffler comes in take a look. If it won't clamp in then spend the $50 bucks and have it welded. Good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Hobart 140. But I've never welded stainless to aluminized metal
I've never welded those materials at all. Only regular steel

·
Registered
674 Posts
I told you already, my exhaust shop welded the exact same muffler into my stock exhaust. They've welded stainless to aluminized for me countless times.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it can be done. I just have never welded those materials. Do I need a certain wire?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After doing some reading I can use the wire and gas I have with low heat. I might try it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always prefer to do my own work.

·
Registered
868 Posts
you can weld onto the stainless and aluminized pipe just fine with your everyday mild steel wire it will just rust over in a few weeks, no big deal
i also weld stainless with my mig but you have to use a different mix of gas and stainless wire is kind a pricey about 8-10 times the cost of 70S mig wire

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ya to Mig stainless you need tri-mix gas and stainless wire. Just weld it with regular wire and your 75/25 mix and go with it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, if you cut right at the muffler, there is a small section of straight 3" pipe. I cut mine and slid the tailpipe up and over the axle and welding it on the garage floor. Can easily be done. Did mine with regular flux from my millermatic, nothing too bad, it just gets hot and can burn through the aluminized if you get too slow in areas.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes, if you cut right at the muffler, there is a small section of straight 3" pipe. I cut mine and slid the tailpipe up and over the axle and welding it on the garage floor. Can easily be done. Did mine with regular flux from my millermatic, nothing too bad, it just gets hot and can burn through the aluminized if you get too slow in areas.
Any videos you can post of your set up for sound?

How does it sound?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Any videos you can post of your set up for sound?

How does it sound?
Here is what it sounded like with no muffler, resonator is still on. Had a decent amount of drone, too much when towing.

If you are wondering, I ditched that setup and went with a Dynomax Dual dumped muffler, sounded awesome, more drone than the muffler delete.

Now I have a Gibson Exhaust and couldn't be happier.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/1...sport-dual-side-swept-single-side-review.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts