F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been gone a little bit due to personal circumstances. A few days ago I was running my stock tune and parked the truck and coolant was at 213* light driving and boiled over. The next day I had my recall for my trans downshifting and all the software got updated ECU and TCU. Later that night I was at the drive through and my coolant temps were up to 217* and no fans kicking on. However, when I put AC on the fans turn on without an issue. I checked fuses but not relays. SCT is reporting the temp. What should I start checking?? Now that I think about it. I don't know if my AC fans ever hit high.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've heard of the fans running more after the recall flash, but not this. Since you said the temps were up a day before you flashed it, I'd suspect you had something else going on there. If the coolant levels are all good, i'd say you'd be correct in next suspecting relays and such.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also wouldn't be unheard of for a thermostat to fail in weird ways. Maybe it's not opening all the way, some junk caught in it, i'm sure we've all seen and heard of some weird failures on those. Might also be worth a look. It's at the cheaper end of the spectrum anyways. I know i'd be pissed if I replaced relays and later found out it was a T-stat :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also wouldn't be unheard of for a thermostat to fail in weird ways. Maybe it's not opening all the way, some junk caught in it, i'm sure we've all seen and heard of some weird failures on those. Might also be worth a look. It's at the cheaper end of the spectrum anyways. I know i'd be pissed if I replaced relays and later found out it was a T-stat :)
Thanks for the reply! When I drive and air is hitting the radiator it stays in the normal temp range. I just I stalled a stant super stat a few months ago. If I drive with ac fans on it stays at 193 - 195. Got a multimeter and gonna try to test relays today and see what I find!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do a battery disconnect first , see if that helps . The Fans have 3 relays , i would swap all 3 out , You should of not boiled over till 250+ deg check you radiator cap. Pressure in your system keeps you from boiling over. If your not holding pressure water/coolant will boil at 212+ deg

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do a battery disconnect first , see if that helps . The Fans have 3 relays , i would swap all 3 out , You should of not boiled over till 250+ deg check you radiator cap. Pressure in your system keeps you from boiling over. If your not holding pressure water/coolant will boil at 212+ deg
Agreed I got an oem cap from ford when I had my recall. Gonna replace the relays tomorrow since they are cheap. I hope ford has them on hand!

With the new cap I didnt boil over at 217 so that's a plus lol and it didnt get too hot so I dont think I hurt the engine

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New relays in and disconnected the battery. Nothing. Taking it back to ford on Wednesday. It may be the ecu update or something obscure.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Do the fans work if you bump the relay?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Probably meant if you close the circuit manually. Like with a screw driver er something like that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably meant if you close the circuit manually. Like with a screw driver er something like that.
Makes sense. I saw a comment from superdave23 stating the low fans come on at 213-214 and high come on at 225*? Maybe I am paranoid. Prior to that my stock tune would turn on the fans at 205-207 I thought? I am going to go try it out now and see if they turn on.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I know little about when they kick on myself. I know all summer I never seen temps over 197, so i'm good with that. I just assume they run :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Perhaps the set points changed with the re-flash? Naw, I'm betting on the paranoia.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think they may have. Just ran her hard and then idled in park and as soon as 214 hit they kicked on. Temps dropped and it started all over. I hit 218 while getting on it and it feels warm and dry here but my weatherbug says it is 85. So I think the reflash and stock tune run hotter than I am used to hence me being paranoid!! lol

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Was the truck ever re-flashed since new? Perhaps that change occurred a while ago but you never had your truck re-flashed? I always run my AC, so I hear the fan almost immediately. I think mine is coming on just over 200. Strange.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was the truck ever re-flashed since new? Perhaps that change occurred a while ago but you never had your truck re-flashed? I always run my AC, so I hear the fan almost immediately. I think mine is coming on just over 200. Strange.
Pretty sure I had the same strat code as it had rolling out of the factory. I have never seen temps this high but I also haven't been stock in like 2 years lol. Masshole PM'd me and confirmed what I posted. Superdave23 is seeing the same temp range.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Envious... We have a '13 Eco that has towed heavy flawlessly in 7-10,000 ft. elevations for the past 5+years.Fans always kicked in if needed at 224 or 225. They ...Ford.. reflashed ours transmission the first part of July.The first tow after that was 1st part of August up to one of 2 of our favorite campgrounds. I notice the temps were higher but didn't think much of it at the time. DW & I are on a 5,000 mile jaunt up to the Northwest part of the country and have had several times where the temps have gotten up in the 230's range & tranny temps up in the 220's when I have put the boost to it.. For what ever reason the the high temp fans are not kicking in like they use to. I know it has something to do with that reflash. It or they changed or deleted the signal for the sensor to kick on the high temp fans. I'm going to find a Ford dealership & see if I can get some answers. Finally figured out how to keep the temps from going over 228 when pulling a 6% grade for 5 or 6 miles. But that relash change it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts