F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Envious... We have a '13 Eco that has towed heavy flawlessly in 7-10,000 ft. elevations for the past 5+years.Fans always kicked in if needed at 224 or 225. They ...Ford.. reflashed ours transmission the first part of July.The first tow after that was 1st part of August up to one of 2 of our favorite campgrounds. I notice the temps were higher but didn't think much of it at the time. DW & I are on a 5,000 mile jaunt up to the Northwest part of the country and have had several times where the temps have gotten up in the 230's range & tranny temps up in the 220's when I have put the boost to it.. For what ever reason the the high temp fans are not kicking in like they use to. I know it has something to do with that reflash. It or they changed or deleted the signal for the sensor to kick on the high temp fans. I'm going to find a Ford dealership & see if I can get some answers. Finally figured out how to keep the temps from going over 228 when pulling a 6% grade for 5 or 6 miles. But that relash change it.
  • Ok I'm glad I'm not imagining things here! Yeah I find it weird they changed it to run hotter as well. I bet for emissions and MPG reasons.. but all more of a reason to stay tuned lol. If you find anything out please post it up! I know masshole sent me a PM and showed that his fans should hit high at 225. Do you have a tuning device that you can pull the stock file? I'm sure someone can dissect it and take a look.

·
Registered
138 Posts
  • Ok I'm glad I'm not imagining things here! Yeah I find it weird they changed it to run hotter as well. I bet for emissions and MPG reasons.. but all more of a reason to stay tuned lol. If you find anything out please post it up! I know masshole sent me a PM and showed that his fans should hit high at 225. Do you have a tuning device that you can pull the stock file? I'm sure someone can dissect it and take a look.
Running completely stock. Our fans use to kick on at about 225 but now they don't. I got into the fuse box & moved those big relay fuses around hoping maybe the fan relay was bad & also disconnected the battery hoping that would do anything.NOPE! I even moved little fuses from different fans around. When climbing the temps would climb to 230ish, I'd let off the accelerator and let the boost drop & the temps would drop to 206-208 in an instant, then resume until it would climb again. I also found if I could leave the cruise control on (45-55 mph) the temps would not climb as high and as fast. I got only one code once. Don't remember the # but was a hot coolant code. The temp went up to 240 ish that time cuz I wasn't expecting it. Tranny temps are also higher than normal. 220-225 ish range when this **** happens. After I figured out how to better control the temps, coolant has been in the 224-226 range with the occasional 228 & tranny temps 215-218 range. Thats with climbing 6% grades for 3 to 5 miles at a time.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Running completely stock. Our fans use to kick on at about 225 but now they don't. I got into the fuse box & moved those big relay fuses around hoping maybe the fan relay was bad & also disconnected the battery hoping that would do anything.NOPE! I even moved little fuses from different fans around. When climbing the temps would climb to 230ish, I'd let off the accelerator and let the boost drop & the temps would drop to 206-208 in an instant, then resume until it would climb again. I also found if I could leave the cruise control on (45-55 mph) the temps would not climb as high and as fast. I got only one code once. Don't remember the # but was a hot coolant code. The temp went up to 240 ish that time cuz I wasn't expecting it. Tranny temps are also higher than normal. 220-225 ish range when this **** happens. After I figured out how to better control the temps, coolant has been in the 224-226 range with the occasional 228 & tranny temps 215-218 range. Thats with climbing 6% grades for 3 to 5 miles at a time.
It has to be for emissions. While cruising my coolant temps are 190-195. I I stalled a stant super stat. From what DNADan saw it looks like it opens more and a lot quicker to keep temps more consistent. Of course it doesn't do much good if you aren't moving.

That's crazy that it changed up your temps so much. Maybe get a stock tune with a modified coolant/fan schedule?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like airflow issue , how clean are the fins to your a/c condenser and radiator fins? Did you install anything recently that could block air flow? Offroad bumper , lights? I would give your a/c and radiator fins a good cleaning to start out with.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Why did they make the trucks run hotter? Are they trying to "ensure" that the transmission fluid is always very hot to reduce the likelihood of the lead frame/speed sensor failing in some way? Or does a failed sensor that the PCM is ignoring require very hot fluid so the tranny doesn't blow itself?. Does the hotter fluid splash around more and allow the magnet to pull more solids out? This is very peculiar. I don't see a satisfying reason why they would need to make the motor run hotter when addressing a transmission sensor issue

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like airflow issue , how clean are the fins to your a/c condenser and radiator fins? Did you install anything recently that could block air flow? Offroad bumper , lights? I would give your a/c and radiator fins a good cleaning to start out with.
bad454SS.. only change is that tranny reflash, nothing added or changed with front air flow since day 6 when I put a little grill plate in the bottom hole to help keep rocks & debris from getting in to the condenser coils, but that was installed way back in 2012 just after we got the truck and it's clean. I've checked & cleaned the fins. The high temp fans aren't kicking in anymore when they are suppose to!

·
Registered
412 Posts
What was the reason for the reflash ? On my 14 I had the buzz noise in park , tsb said it needed lead frame and reflash. I didn't have it done because i didn't want the reflash , when i did a transmission fluid service at 30,000 miles I had tech re-torque the valve body and now noise is gone . He said a few bolts were not to spec

·
Registered
138 Posts
What was the reason for the reflash ? On my 14 I had the buzz noise in park , tsb said it needed lead frame and reflash. I didn't have it done because i didn't want the reflash , when i did a transmission fluid service at 30,000 miles I had tech re-torque the valve body and now noise is gone . He said a few bolts were not to spec
The reflash was done cuz of the recall of 2010-2013's F-150's for a sensor failure that would/could cause the transmission to suddenly downshift. Guess there were quite a few that downshifts suddenly from 6th to 1st gear when traveling down thr road at 40, 50 or even 60 mph. Mine was one em called in to reflash that sensor. Noticed nothing different about the way it shifted or drove when it wasn't towing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts