F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The radio in my truck will turn on with the on off button even when there is no key in the ignition. I found this out today when my son ran ahead of me and jumped in the truck and turned on the radio. I was surprised by this because I have never had a vehicle that did this before. Can any of you that have the same radio as me try turning on the radio before putting the keys in the ignition and see if this is normal. I would really appreciate if you guys would help me figure out if I need to take it into the dealer or not.

Thanks,

SPPD

ForumRunner_20130511_183250.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

The radio in my truck will turn on with the on off button even when there is no key in the ignition. I found this out today when my son ran ahead of me and jumped in the truck and turned on the radio. I was surprised by this because I have never had a vehicle that did this before. Can any of you that have the same radio as me try turning on the radio before putting the keys in the ignition and see if this is normal. I would really appreciate if you guys would help me figure out if I need to take it into the dealer or not.

Thanks,

SPPD

View attachment 935
SPPD I just checked my radio and bam it turned on must be normal I probably would've never found that out if it wasn't for your son . I think I like it thought.Hey that isn't the same one to come up with Ecobeast is it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SPPD I just checked my radio and bam it turned on must be normal I probably would've never found that out if it wasn't for your son . I think I like it thought.Hey that isn't the same one to come up with Ecobeast is it.
It is indeed the same one lol. BTW z-max I think we talked on another forum FRF about the towing mirrors. Glad to see you over here as well. Thanks for checking and making me stop obsessing about having an issue. I am glad that it is normal. We are out in the SolAire for the night and it was bothering me when I should be relaxing at the CG. Now the fire seems warmer, the marshmallows taste sweeter, and the stars a little brighter lol.

Regards,

SPPD

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure it'll turn off when a low battery is detected...
Yes it does, it just had me a little worried since I have never had a vehicle that did this. I towed my canper today and yesterday put the trailer battery charge relay and fuse in. It made me think I fried something when putting those in.

SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey SPPD, I'll check my radio out in the morning. You might try removing the battery charge fuse and relay and see if still does it. Very interesting. I haven't pulled my trailer since putting in the fuse and relay.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey SPPD, I'll check my radio out in the morning. You might try removing the battery charge fuse and relay and see if still does it. Very interesting. I haven't pulled my trailer since putting in the fuse and relay.
That was the first thing I did thinking it was related, but even with the charging fuse and relay removed it still did it. I also disconneceted the battery for 10 minutes thinking it might reboot the system. It still does it. I am guessing since z-max's truck does the same thing it is probably normal. If my son had not turned on the radio before I got to the truck with the keys I would probably have never noticed it, as I would never have tried to turn on the radio without the keys. The radio will remain on until the shutting down to preserve battery warning comes on or until I turn it back off.

I am still curious what yours will do Wayne so let us know.

Regards,

SPPD

·
Registered
24 Posts
SSPD I think you are right about the mirrors. also I think we talked on another forum the forest river one . my screen name there is jdefeo1.lots of good info on that one as well .well I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend at the CG

·
Registered
311 Posts
Guys,

My truck also allows for radio play w/o key in the ignition. I have the same radio as z-max (2013). The radio faceplate illuminates with a blue screen and Ford logo when the load cell in the drivers seat sees weight. The radio can be powered up any time with or without sitting down in the seat. I used the feature when the truck was new and I was learning how to use the Sync commands as well as USB features. I do not know how long the radio stays running but it can go for awhile.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yup, my radio comes on without the key too. I thought it would time out like when you turn the key off (10 minutes) but, it didn't. The radio also stays on when you open the door. I guess this is so we can sit by the camp fire and enjoy Wille's Road House, Classic Country. I did find that if you turn the key on and then back off that the radio then seems to go on and off normally. We to learn something new about these trucks each week.:)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I didn't try removing the fuse & relay. I think you have already proven that test SPPD.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Reminds me of the CB days... Breaker 1-9 for a radio check... "I got mine!"

But seriously, folks, mine does too. Only problem I have is frequently it loses my iPod on the USB connection. Most of the time a voice command will reactivate but sometimes I need to disconnect/connect to get it back.

Amazing what we learn around this place!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Breaker Breaker 1-9 You got a copy Come on! Keep an eye for them bears.:p

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Reminds me of the CB days... Breaker 1-9 for a radio check... "I got mine!"

But seriously, folks, mine does too. Only problem I have is frequently it loses my iPod on the USB connection. Most of the time a voice command will reactivate but sometimes I need to disconnect/connect to get it back.

Amazing what we learn around this place!
I've found that when I shut the truck down and leave it in acc mode then start it again it drops and puts it in A/V mode...have to do the same! Wish they could make a fix for this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
akmedic77
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing