F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for a f150 single cab xl trim with the 3.5 na or the 3.3 engine for a work truck, but days ago an opportunity for a 2017 3.5 EcoBoost HO raptor engine came in...
Is it too difficult to swap the raptor engine into that truck? Can the 6 speed hold the power?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I'm looking for a f150 single cab xl trim with the 3.5 na or the 3.3 engine for a work truck, but days ago an opportunity for a 2017 3.5 EcoBoost HO raptor engine came in...
Is it too difficult to swap the raptor engine into that truck? Can the 6 speed hold the power?
I’m about to do this swap on a 2018 Lariat with the 10 speed, that originally had the standard 2018 3.5. I’ll be putting in a 2019 3.5 HO engine from a Raptor. Everything I’ve read indicates that it’s a one-for-one swap with an ECU tune. What I’ve been reading from the guys with the 6 speeds is that they hold up as long as you’re not brake torquing while drag racing every weekend. I’m VERY curious to know if you’ve done this swap yet and to know how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I’d be interested too..but you know for what your spending trying to do this,you could just swap out a short block on any gen2 ,as the main difference is the cranckks shaft oiling for the pistons,turbos are different,but both the gen2 and the HO maybe making some big numbers but I keep being told they both blow up just like the gen1 when pushed too hard...
id swap out the rods pistons etc..and install upgraded turbos and your done..

also the 6r80 is stronger than the ten speed ..the 6r80 has handle 800hp and 1000tq many times ask the Diesel guys

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’d be interested too..but you know for what your spending trying to do this,you could just swap out a short block on any gen2 ,as the main difference is the cranckks shaft oiling for the pistons,turbos are different,but both the gen2 and the HO maybe making some big numbers but I keep being told they both blow up just like the gen1 when pushed too hard...
id swap out the rods pistons etc..and install upgraded turbos and your done..

also the 6r80 is stronger than the ten speed ..the 6r80 has handle 800hp and 1000tq many times ask the Diesel guys
I guess you could swap whatever you want. My swap went very smoothly, on time (2 days) and on budget ($6k) The engine ran on the original tune without any codes but not very well. The custom ECU tune from Gearheads completely changed the characteristics of the engine and transmission and has been working for me for 1,000 miles. I'm a little disappointed to be getting 18mpg driving with a light foot but it was a good swap. It's fun to drive and I have a one-of-a-kind sleeper. <><

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
congrats on your swap, I was basically pointing out it’s the same engine with only a couple of differences , I get your installing the 10speed although the 6r80 is the better..and if I already had the gen2 what I’d do..
ford rated the HO on 93 and the NONE HO on 87, just running 93 increasing the power anyway ,and just a tune will give you way over the raptors 450hp and match any tuned raptor...
BUT again congrats and enjoy it, cause it is cool , as I wanted a scab with a HO ,but you can’t even get it in any Scab no matter the trim unless it’s a raptor..so your in a class of your own..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts