F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Now I wonder how closely the Raptor Alt1/Sport Mode setting compares to the GH shifting strategy? Maybe @BC119 can try it out and see how it compares? If I had the opportunity to drive the Raptor for comparison, I'd order a GH tune right now. Might do it anyway after reading the posts from @mattr66 and @snakebitten.
I don't have a Raptor experience to compare to with my GearHead tuned 18 King Ranch, but until this thread I was convinced I had the best shifting 10-speed F150. Lol

Note: I mean OEM hardware version of the 10r80. I'm sure the aftermarket high performance components available for INSIDE the 10r80 might offer an experience that is unobtainable otherwise.

Also note that I am in Sport mode 100% of the time. I despise the transmission strategy that treats the 10 speed as a 6 speed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Glad you took the time to chime in @snakebitten and bring out the experts. Power increases are one thing, and these trucks are already rocket ships, but I was absolutely blown away with how that stock 19+ Raptor transmission felt.

It had the firmer shifts of my tuned Gen 1, but the quick shifts and refinement I would expect from lots of R & D by a specialty OEM department.

@mattr66 I would, but I'm not interested in tuning right now. More curious if any other tuners have driven their own trans strategy and a 19+ Raptor back to back just to see what it feels like. Hard data of shift times and points would be even better.

If I can get a definite yes, we can make the transmission behave like that with software only, or even with a combo of software and solenoids, I'm tuning the truck tomorrow. If not, I may seriously look at trading the truck in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
One thing you can't think in is "shift pressures" on these new transmissions. They have base pressures, and then LITERALLY THE ENTIRE REST OF THE TUNE is done with multipliers and ramp times and torque rates per second.

and then ultimately you tell it to complete the shift with x amount of torque carried into it and it modifies it on the fly based on how the solenoids have been modeled by ford and the torque it sees coming from the engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I may be off base in my description of how it works, and I understand it is a ton more complex than "increasing line pressure" like the hopped up diesel guys brag about.

My main point is, how do I get those alternate solenoids into my trans, and how do we then make it feel like that ford performance mapping.

·
Registered
2020 Leadfoot Lariat
14 Posts
Got the updates from 5*. I just loaded up the 93-performance tune a bit ago, engaged manual/sport mode, and went for a very short run to grab some grub. I must say I was skeptical and didn't have high hopes but the responsiveness of the paddle shifters was substantially improved! It was a quick initial run but initial impressions are all positive.

Traffic lights provided a few opportunities to give 'er the beans. Under heavy throttle, the shifts were firm and practically instantaneous! Each pull of the lever was rewarded with an instant bark from the tires, slight jerk of the head, and a giggle. +shifts seem a bit faster than -shifts. Responsiveness feels tied to throttle input. Before receiving this update, I wished I hadn't forked out the cash for the Raptor wheel and wiring harness, but now I'm glad I did. 5* also made some changes to my perf-tow tunes but I haven't had a chance to try any of those yet.

Only wish I could get my hands on a Raptor for a minute or have a Raptor owner drive my truck. Then we would have a useful comparison.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Success! This is what this forum is all about! When you get a chance, maybe see if you can find a used 19 Raptor at a dealership to compare back to back with your truck.

I'm excited they were able to improve the tune for you, and I'm now very tempted to void some warranties.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Success! This is what this forum is all about! When you get a chance, maybe see if you can find a used 19 Raptor at a dealership to compare back to back with your truck.

I'm excited they were able to improve the tune for you, and I'm now very tempted to void some warranties.
Who needs a warranty when you can have 450 rwhp tune only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got the updates from 5*. I just loaded up the 93-performance tune a bit ago, engaged manual/sport mode, and went for a very short run to grab some grub. I must say I was skeptical and didn't have high hopes but the responsiveness of the paddle shifters was substantially improved! It was a quick initial run but initial impressions are all positive.

Traffic lights provided a few opportunities to give 'er the beans. Under heavy throttle, the shifts were firm and practically instantaneous! Each pull of the lever was rewarded with an instant bark from the tires, slight jerk of the head, and a giggle. +shifts seem a bit faster than -shifts. Responsiveness feels tied to throttle input. Before receiving this update, I wished I hadn't forked out the cash for the Raptor wheel and wiring harness, but now I'm glad I did. 5* also made some changes to my perf-tow tunes but I haven't had a chance to try any of those yet.

Only wish I could get my hands on a Raptor for a minute or have a Raptor owner drive my truck. Then we would have a useful comparison.
Did you drive the tune in auto at all? I'd love a tune that shifted fast and crisp while in auto normal mode. Back when I had a Jimmy, A $15 corvette servo mod made the auto trans in it shift exactly like the early 2000 corvettes. it was freaking awesome!

·
Registered
2020 Leadfoot Lariat
14 Posts

I'm glad you started this threat because I had accepted the fact that the paddles were never going to do what I wanted. Then folks on the board chimed in and provided info that made me hopeful once again. So glad 5* came through for us.

I will keep an eye out for Raptors in my area (Northeast PA and Upstate NY if anyone on here wants to play). Maybe I'll even try to stalk someone in a parking lot and see if they would be willing to drive mine as a comparison? I'm still curious to see how different they are.

As for the warranty issue, just take the plunge. I promise the water is fine. These are the things I told myself when I voided my warranty. Just hope it don't bite me down the road! Then I'll have to make it even faster?

·
Registered
2020 Leadfoot Lariat
14 Posts
Did you drive the tune in auto at all? I'd love a tune that shifted fast and crisp while in auto normal mode. Back when I had a Jimmy, A $15 corvette servo mod made the auto trans in it shift exactly like the early 2000 corvettes. it was freaking awesome!
I haven't put too many miles on it today and the ones I did were mostly in manual mode, just because I can finally enjoy it. To be honest, I never use normal mode. I subconsciously push the mode button 5 times every time I start the vehicle. That's another good question - can Sport mode be programmed as default. I'd bet that has already been asked and answered here. I'll have to search.

I hate the way normal mode skip shifts and is in 8th gear or higher at 35-40 mph. I believe some of my BCB tunes did this in normal mode as well which is why I started using Sport all the time. I think I tried normal mode a couple of times with the 5* 93 performance tune and if I remember correctly it did not skip gears under light throttle and lower speeds. It at least used 1-5 instead of 1-3-5. Seems to me allot of the quality tuners out there can tailor some things if you talk to them and explain what you want. That's what 5* just did for me. And from what I have read from others, the Gear Head shift strategy is really great.

In Sport Auto, the shifts feel different depending how hard I push it (to me anyway). But I don't think it will give you that same exact feel the Corvette servo mod did. I have a 1990 F150 with an E4OD I put a B&M Transpak in and I always loved the way that shifts, so crisp. I did some mods to the trans in my '04 Lariat trying to get it to feel more like the E4OD but could never get that 4R75E to come close. Now with the 10-speed it's just a different world and different feel. Perhaps someone else can chime in a explain it better?

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I haven't put too many miles on it today and the ones I did were mostly in manual mode, just because I can finally enjoy it. To be honest, I never use normal mode. I subconsciously push the mode button 5 times every time I start the vehicle. That's another good question - can Sport mode be programmed as default. I'd bet that has already been asked and answered here. I'll have to search.

I hate the way normal mode skip shifts and is in 8th gear or higher at 35-40 mph. I believe some of my BCB tunes did this in normal mode as well which is why I started using Sport all the time. I think I tried normal mode a couple of times with the 5* 93 performance tune and if I remember correctly it did not skip gears under light throttle and lower speeds. It at least used 1-5 instead of 1-3-5. Seems to me allot of the quality tuners out there can tailor some things if you talk to them and explain what you want. That's what 5* just did for me. And from what I have read from others, the Gear Head shift strategy is really great.

In Sport Auto, the shifts feel different depending how hard I push it (to me anyway). But I don't think it will give you that same exact feel the Corvette servo mod did. I have a 1990 F150 with an E4OD I put a B&M Transpak in and I always loved the way that shifts, so crisp. I did some mods to the trans in my '04 Lariat trying to get it to feel more like the E4OD but could never get that 4R75E to come close. Now with the 10-speed it's just a different world and different feel. Perhaps someone else can chime in a explain it better?
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Although I don't have a Raptor, I am an subconscious 5-push auto-sport-mode selector myself!

Gear skipping mutes how nice that 10-speed can be at keeping the truck in a constant sweatspot. And a tuned version of the strategy is even better.

Great thread. Great post.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
As for the warranty issue, just take the plunge. I promise the water is fine. These are the things I told myself when I voided my warranty. Just hope it don't bite me down the road! Then I'll have to make it even faster?
I'm no stranger to voiding warranties in the name of a night and day difference in driving experience, but I am one of the unlucky 2020 owners that has to have a transmission repaired due to a bad part from the factory. I've also had some other substantial issues with some electronics in the truck, so I'm a bit more weary to dive in than I was on my '11.

I put about 25k/year on the truck, so hopefully after these issues are ironed out and I get some trouble free miles under my belt, the fun will begin. I plan on going with a PaxPower-esque setup, full Raptor suspension swap while retaining factory body panels for an incognito look. Throw on all the bolt-ons and she will be done!

Thank you for taking the time to show us that the tuners can greatly improve the transmission strategy, and with a nice bump in power on 93 from 5*, your truck must be a blast to drive.

·
Registered
2020 Leadfoot Lariat
14 Posts
I'm no stranger to voiding warranties in the name of a night and day difference in driving experience, but I am one of the unlucky 2020 owners that has to have a transmission repaired due to a bad part from the factory. I've also had some other substantial issues with some electronics in the truck, so I'm a bit more weary to dive in than I was on my '11.

I put about 25k/year on the truck, so hopefully after these issues are ironed out and I get some trouble free miles under my belt, the fun will begin. I plan on going with a PaxPower-esque setup, full Raptor suspension swap while retaining factory body panels for an incognito look. Throw on all the bolt-ons and she will be done!

Thank you for taking the time to show us that the tuners can greatly improve the transmission strategy, and with a nice bump in power on 93 from 5*, your truck must be a blast to drive.
[/QUOTE]
I think 5* still offers a warranty if you need that extra piece of mind. Sorry to hear you have had problems so soon. I'm praying I don't or the dealer doesn't notice it's been flashed back to stock if it has to go in! Knock on wood, mine had been fine so far but only 8K miles right now. I usually do about 20-25K miles per year too. Figured my power train warranty would be done in 2 years anyway so I just threw a tune at it after the 1st oil change around 1500 miles or so.

I'm looking at some King Shocks next summer and maybe a few more bolt-ons as well. Got a set of hellwig sway bars on the way now. Hope they improve the handling a bit. I'm really happy with 5*. They are willing to work with you and tailor the tune to your liking as much it can be. It shifts so crisp in the lower gears at WOT that I worry about breaking something if I keep doing it, but it's too fun not to. It is a blast to drive!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts