F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

New to the forum. I picked up a 2014 F150 Tremor 2 weeks ago. I lusted over the Tremor when it came out a year ago; but, the dealerships wanted $10k over the MSRP. I just couldn't do that. So, waiting a year, I got a similar truck, to the one I was looking at last year, for $10k under MSRP.

I haven't had a hot rod pickup for 45 years. This truck is FUN.

I'll start a build thread soon.

I've read just about all of the posts in all of the threads on this forum and I've searched; but, I can't find the question answered. So, Please be nice to a new guy

I launch with locker in place; but, I still get wheel hop. I can't have that; so, I've been looking for traction bars. I see some discussions about Lakewood Traction Bars; but, I haven't seen enough discussion about the Roadmaster Active Suspension RAS traction aids. This is a sophisticated vehicle; so, I was thinking about a sophisticated solution to wheel hop & cornering.

Those of you that have traction aids, what is your opinion.

Thanks, jp

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know there was one guy on here that installed the RAS system. I think he liked it. I'm interested as well. If it works as advertised it should reduce wheel hop and stabilize my truck when towing my camper.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the RAS and it is great for towing or heavy payload. It has not however stopped wheel hop at the ~25% setting and my truck is pretty much stock. I will be putting it up to ~40%this spring and will test when I get our TT out of storage for wheel hop again. :)

If traction and wheel hop are your concern, at this time I do not consider it a traction aid, and I would go with a more dedicated mod for traction and wheel hop. IMHO

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have to agree with what was said above. I have the RAS on my '13 and primarily for the ride and load handling attributes. It would NOT be a purchase for me if I was looking for a traction aid. It has helped with some of the axle wrap I've noticed (I didn't have a heavy shudder like some). If traction aid is your #1 concern then skip the RAS and head straight for true traction bars. Caltracs come to mind from other online reviews I've seen....might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Erick @ LET is also developing a set of traction bars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to EcoMax & MCDavis for the knowledgeable info; good to know. This won't be a work truck (for now anyway). So, the RAS is out.

Thanks to Basshurts & denjolicoeur for the info too. I'll keep looking at either Lakwood or Caltracs.

This is why I like forums. People who are gearheads share info very well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Research is a good thing. The majority of my time spent on the forums (all 3 of 'em for this truck) is spent researching items. Lights, tires, suspension, etc. Gotta love the interwebs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
+1 on the good info as well, I was considering the RAS as a form of traction aid for the wheel hop. Thinking Caltracs it is!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think I might give these a try since I tow a lot in the summer. Sounds like they work well for towing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am with DBA2GO in wanting wheel hop information. Does anyone have experience with the mentioned Lakewood Traction Bars for an FX4 Tremor. Thanks in advance from another Forum newbe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I posted this in another thread yesterday as well. It's my writeup on my install, etc. Don't know if you guys saw it, or if you're interested in the read. Here ya go:
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/2...ive-suspension-just-installed.html#post179755
That was a great writeup. Thanks.

I'm convinced that the RAS do not solve the wheel hop issue. Thanks for all of the great info on RAS.

I've started a thread on CalTracs. I'm now seriously considering them to solve wheel hop. I don't want to mix this thread with the CalTracs; so, please see that thread for any discussion on that.

·
Registered
442 Posts
RAS cures/helps with a lot but you're on the right track with looking into Caltracs. That's likely the best setup for what you want to achieve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts