F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2012 f150 3.5 platinum 4x4
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I might hear piston slap but on an engine that new, I would think the noise would basically disappear when it got warm as clearances get tighter unless there were something broken. It's tough to diagnose when it's right in front of you but audio clips are really hard for me.

I am going to to pick up some proper sound equipment.
(( I have always been one to diagnose via sound, and this gives me a reason to invest in one the the audio kits that have multi location components.

I agree with you on sound clips being tough to hear what you are looking for.

I'm currently @ 431 miles. When I get home tonight I'm gonna be close enough to 500 that I'm gonna change the oil and see what we have to see.
( now from checking the dip sickle I've not seen a single spec of shiny, BUTTT💁‍♂️ we'll see)

As for the flywheel theory.
What type of damage would you expect to see that would allow this to make the deep hollow clatter sound @ only these very specific events/conditions?

This is the deal,
It feels, sounds, drives fantastic, the mileage is getting better each day.

And with only 10lbs, and no timing it feels stronger than my previous all out tune under the same driving conditions.

I'm on my 4th revision already and everything is spot on.

I've yet to go over 50% throttle and 4k rpm. Ok ok, I did push it to 4500rpm.once..., but in my defense , have you seen the parts list for this thing? It is begging me to flog it!!🤦🏻‍♂️😆🤣.

I also agree that this should be heard cold,
And then not so much once heated up,
And that's not the case.

This is just interesting.

Thanks again
Sometimes just collecting your thoughts in one place while getting the input from others really helps us to move forward.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Here is a pic of the back of the motor( flex plate ) prior to installation, ( maybe if you zoom in something will stand out to you that doesn't stand out to me.

Attachments

·
Moderstrator
4,204 Posts
As for the flywheel theory.
What type of damage would you expect to see that would allow this to make the deep hollow clatter sound @ only these very specific events/conditions?
A crack from one of the bolt holes either goes towards a vent hole, other bolt hole or towards the ring gear. I've also seen the crack go through to the center of the flex plate.

Just a side note as this was brought up earlier. Many of us old-schoolers use the term flexplate and flywheel synonymously when talking about an automatic transmission, they of course have their specific place. Flywheels are used with manual transmissions.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
A crack from one of the bolt holes either goes towards a vent hole, other bolt hole or towards the ring gear. I've also seen the crack go through to the center of the flex plate.

Just a side note as this was brought up earlier. Many of us old-schoolers use the term flexplate and flywheel synonymously when talking about an automatic transmission, they of course have their specific place. Flywheels are used with manual transmissions.

Just to clarify,
I wasn't attempting to correct anyone.
With my track record of miss labeling things that would be the ol' pot vs. Kettle debate.
I use parentheses when I am adding an additional thought or context too my thoughts or writing.

If I'm being completely honest I had to look up which name we use for the automatics, I've gotten those 2 confused for the last 25yrs.

I looked it over well enough before I installed it on the new crank that I would hope something like that would have stood out to me.
But I have over looked something before.
Once. ....🤣

.anywhos
Once I get the mic kit in I'll be able to make a Lil head way.

Being that it's specific condition dependant,
Maybe a harmonic resonace Yada Yada.
Etc etc.

I am no master engine builder.
I have been in the automotive world for 25+ yrs.
In some shape or another I did go to school for automechanics, I have built motors in the past,
And I did assemble these parts to make this brick move.
I'm only saying this, to hopefully add a little value to my piston float theory.

It's gonna be funny as all get out when I proven dead wrong, and humble enough to have a good laugh about it,
I really think there is something to it.
It's something that most 3.5 owners would never experience, and if they did it is so subtle and would rarely happen that it would never really register as something happening .

I only caught it this time ( and remembered it was something I wanted to look into with the old set up )
Due to me leaving an access port open in the fire wall.
Once I closed it up I could only hear it next to a wall.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

That is the kit I was looking @!
Good man.😁

·
Moderstrator
4,204 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm not saying it isn't piston slap, it would be unusual given the circumstances and impossible to diagnose by listening to it on a forum. The fact that you're experiencing it on two consecutive engines makes it even more unusual.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Just to be clear, I'm not saying it isn't piston slap, it would be unusual given the circumstances and impossible to diagnose by listening to it on a forum. The fact that you're experiencing it on two consecutive engines makes it even more unusual.
I agree it is an unusual situation,
And what makes it so unusual( if it is slap ) is the that it does do it under the typical conditions.

And just like you and sirken.? ( think that's his name ) pointed out something in the trans/verter/ flywheel, one of those would have been a common component, which would rule out the motor all together.
That would be a more logical explanation.
Occums razor and all.

I want you to know I genuinely appreciate the input,
It gets the mental gears spinning and it let's the thought and ideas grow into something useful.

These Things tend to grow better with the input from other folks like yourself.

I think until I get some mics ( seriously that was the exact kit I was eyeballing ) it's more or less speculation.
But it still builds it self out in my little thought world.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
And what makes it so unusual( if it is slap ) is the that it does do it under the typical conditions.

And just like you and sirken.? ( think that's his name ) pointed out something in the trans/verter/ flywheel, one of those would have been a common component, which would rule out the motor all together.
Occums razor and all.

It gets the mental gears spinning and it let's the thought and ideas grow into something useful.

I think until I get some mics ( seriously that was the exact kit I was eyeballing ) it's more or less speculation.

Occums razor and all.

I am trying to tie the 2 experiences together.

The original experience, ( which i 1st stumbled upon over a year ago ) then I popped the motor and forgot all about it, and this experience that I stumbled on it again.

I am adding a video with the truck in park.
Phone on the front drivers side tire.

A couple normal revs. ( no clatter sound )
Then I slowly with very little input raise the Revs and you can hear it start to clatter around 21-2300rpm.

This was how I 1st stumbled on to it.

I had been trying to listen for something else and heard this instead.
Then I noticed it driving in manual mode ( basically recreating the samething)

So..
On my truck in park or neutral idling I am showing ((.29-.35 load.))

When this happens it's between (.15-.35 load )
And of coarse a lot higher rpm. 2200+

I have this odd suspicion that it is simply an odd/flat/mis-programmed part of one of the tables that doesn't account for this type of input.

I don't know what is actually clattering.

The more I think about it, if it was a piston to bore clearance issue I would hear it all the time instead of having to fight/work to hear the sound.

I am starting to rule that out.

And perhaps it is something on the trans side of things, but there is nothing there that I can Think of that would cause this under these odd conditions.

Anyways.

Here's another video.
You folks have a listen,
Maybe one of us will get our heads wrapped around this..

Oh, by the way,

This things is running beautifully 😍!!
It sounds so good, so smooth,
Torrie has been getting this thing dialed in.
Changing oil and plugs
( step colder/ proper gap )tonight, then we are gonna make out 1st small wot pass 2500-4000k.
To see what the boost wants to do.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I think Justinjs is on it, I bet you 100$ is turbo wastegate rattle or NVH. I have Turbo wastegate rattle on my stage 2 turbos, and I had it on my old turbos. I’m not sure I have heard an Ecoboost that doesn’t have some sort of rattle like that. The raptors have some kind of NVH noise that’s very noticeable too.
Have you listened to either one of the videos. I attached?

Did yours sound anything like it does in the videos?

I don't think it's improper internal components,

I do think there is something odd here tho.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,073 Posts
Have you listened to either one of the videos. I attached?

Did yours sound anything like it does in the videos?

I don't think it's improper internal components,

I do think there is something odd here tho.
I just listened to your video. Definitely not turbo wastegate rattle or NVH. That definitely is something in the engine itself. I’m not totally sure what it would be though. You should hear the noise all the 2.7s make while idling. It’s nuts, and when you take the oil cap off while it’s running it literally sounds like a metal on metal clunking sound. But it’s apparently completely normal lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I just listened to your video. Definitely not turbo wastegate rattle or NVH. That definitely is something in the engine itself. I’m not totally sure what it would be though. You should hear the noise all the 2.7s make while idling. It’s nuts, and when you take the oil cap off while it’s running it literally sounds like a metal on metal clunking sound. But it’s apparently completely normal lol.
It took awhile for me to get accustomed to all the sounds these things make and pin point what they all are , so when I do get an abnormal sound I'll be able to identify it.

Idk,
This Is an odd one.
Thanks for your input though,
Much appreciated.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,073 Posts
It took awhile for me to get accustomed to all the sounds these things make and pin point what they all are , so when I do get an abnormal sound I'll be able to identify it.

Idk,
This Is an odd one.
Thanks for your input though,
Much appreciated.
No worries man! That’s what we are here for.

Reactions: Boatwaco
41 - 52 of 52 Posts