F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after some more investigating and having my wife blip the throttle for about 5 minutes while I crawled all around under the truck the sound seems the loudest from the driver side catalytic converter..
Very strange.
Either that or it's coming from the driver side of the transmission and echoing off of that area, but I'm 99% sure it's coming from that catalytic converter area

Honestly I'm just happy it's not the damn engine LOL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
That's actually GREAT news. Mostly because it makes you feel a lot better.

Still, you aren't 100% sure. But you've narrowed it yet more.

Your next investigation just might be the one! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sounds suspiciously like the noise my truck was making. Ended up being a bad vacuum check valve right in front of the driver's seat in the engine compartment.
Runs the Auto hubs.
The noise wasn't coming from the valve, coming from the hubs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds suspiciously like the noise my truck was making. Ended up being a bad vacuum check valve right in front of the driver's seat in the engine compartment.
Runs the Auto hubs.
The noise wasn't coming from the valve, coming from the hubs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The iwes?
That was my first initial thought but then once I tracked the sound down to the transmission area then possibly catalytic converter I figured that's probably not it.

Well that and the well-known off acceleration rattle was my first thoughts

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's actually GREAT news. Mostly because it makes you feel a lot better.

Still, you aren't 100% sure. But you've narrowed it yet more.

Your next investigation just might be the one! Lol

Definitely! I think I'm just going to roll with it for a while though I'm sure there's going to be a recall for this truck for something else sooner than later and then at that time when I take it in I'll have them look at this, if I don't figure it out in the meantime.

On a side note I just took a first generation Raptor LOL he was a cool older dude. When we got to the next stop sign he said, damn! You just beat me!

·
Registered
275 Posts
wastegate rattle maybe?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wastegate rattle maybe?
I have that rattle as well, but only for the first minute of cold start.

This sound is definitely coming from the transmission area more towards or at the driver side catalytic converter

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts to.
If it’s easy maybe check the torque converter nuts.
I'm 99.9% sure it's not the wastegate rattle, I have that as well. I'm not going to mess with the torque converter or any of that crap on a truck with less than 4000 miles.
As soon as a recall comes out for something else, which should be anytime now knowing Ford's track record, I'll have them look at this as well.

I pinpointed the sound and it's at or near the driver side catalytic converter.
I also took off all skid plates and tested just to make sure none of them were the culprit, sound didn't go away.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also it doesn't matter if the truck is cold or has been running for an hour or so, sound is always there and sounds the same.

It has a metal tinny sound, it really sounds just like a loose heat shield but none of them are loose, but that's the kind of sound it is

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check exhaust and random heat shields like you said. That is not your engine IMO
Yeah definitely not engine.
I checked all heat shields and everything's tight.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
On the earlier years, such as my truck year (2012), there was a little heat shield above the driver's cat which mounted to the frame of the truck. It was shaped like a triangle and mounted in the most stupid to reach manner. Perhaps it's something similar between the turbo and the cat?

Should be easy to find if you flick it, it should vibrate.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the earlier years, such as my truck year (2012), there was a little heat shield above the driver's cat which mounted to the frame of the truck. It was shaped like a triangle and mounted in the most stupid to reach manner. Perhaps it's something similar between the turbo and the cat?

Should be easy to find if you flick it, it should vibrate.
I've been flicking an bopping everything lol
So far all the heat shields and what not seem pretty tight.
I just got another video and I put my camera on a creeper and moved it around while I was blipping the throttle.

Maybe it is the wastegate after all as a couple of you guys suggested, I do have the start-up wastegate rattle which sounds totally different but I'm beginning to wonder now.
At the end of the video is when I slide the camera underneath the wastegate somewhat.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay, the sound isn't as loud near the wastegate, it's definitely the loudest when I have the camera near the driver side catalytic converter.

I'm done troubleshooting it, I did my due diligence.
Just going to send it now. Fook it

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
I just got another video and I put my camera on a creeper and moved it around while I was blipping the throttle.

I want a video of you shooting that video.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Aren't you guys still under warranty? Take it in to a dealer. In the new videos it doesn't sound like a heat shield to me. It sounds like some sort of mechanical "chatter" or "rattle", like a PCV valve with a ball inside it. Are the design of the turbo solenoids the same as the past?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts