F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a pretty nice Ecoboost, with one problem. It is geared 3.31 and my plans for it involve a lift with big tires and towing a good size trailer. Pretty sure 3.73 is the way to go. Should I keep looking for a truck that already has 3.73 or would it be worth it to change this one to 3.73? What would it take to change it as far as parts? Estimates on cost? The truck is a great deal, so I have some wiggle room to put into gearing, just not sure how much it is going to take. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Personally I would go factory 3.73. Is it 2wd or 4x4?

Sent from my iDesk air

·
Registered
608 Posts
Go factory-installed and avoid the headache.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's 4wd. My question is how much will it cost? If the truck is priced a couple thousand less than it should be, is that enough to justify the change? Everything else it just what I want.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Go factory-installed and avoid the headache.
^this. If you can avoid an aftermarket regear, I would. That being said, regearing happens all the time. It will run you about $1500-$2000 for 4x4. If you choose to do a regear, buy the ring and pinion from the shop doing the work to avoid and warranty headaches.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
No. I think it was discussed here before and the price was like $1500 per axle. It's not a job you want to do yourself. You should call around and get local quotes but in the end it's better to just get a factory 3.73

Sent from my iDesk air

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's 4wd. My question is how much will it cost? If the truck is priced a couple thousand less than it should be, is that enough to justify the change? Everything else it just what I want.
Parts are about $400. Labor--in the $1400-1600 range, so the post above is on the money. Make sure the shop knows WTH they are doing or you'll get gear whine, clicking, etc. To me, a nice tune will offset the additional drivetrain loss with bigger wheels. You're only looking at about 20 hp difference with 35s anyway, if I remember an earlier post correctly.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah but with a tune that will oddest the tires, he's not going to be able to tow. Also, it's going to put a lot of wear and tear on the tranny

Sent from my iDesk air

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yikes I wouldn't pay $1500 PER axel. I got 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion installed in my last truck for just under $2k. I suppose prices vary depending on where you live though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yikes I wouldn't pay $1500 PER axel. I got 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion installed in my last truck for just under $2k. I suppose prices vary depending on where you live though.
No, that's total. About $200 for FMS ring and pinion, shims, fluid, etc. Labor is in the $700-800 per axle.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yeah I probably remembered the total price for both axles. Either way I would look for a factory one, but that's just me.

Sent from my iDesk air

Reactions: btswein

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah I probably remembered the total price for both axles. Either way I would look for a factory one, but that's just me.

Sent from my iDesk air
Yup, them were Cali-for-ni-ay prices. Here, Bubba will do it for a can of Copenhagen, a case of Natty Ice, and a fifth of 'shine. Lifts...no stinkin' lifts are needed. That's what them ditches are for!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Yup, them were Cali-for-ni-ay prices. Here, Bubba will do it for a can of Copenhagen, a case of Natty Ice, and a fifth of 'shine. Lifts...no stinkin' lifts are needed. That's what them ditches are for!

Natty ice. Ugh, you know you hit rock bottom when you drink that ;)

Just kidding. I love Bud

Sent from my iDesk air

·
Registered
346 Posts
Natty ice. Ugh, you know you hit rock bottom when you drink that ;)

Just kidding. I love Bud

Sent from my iDesk air
When I used to drink, Pilsner Urquell and Sam Adams imperial ale were my choices... I've seen people do some stupid stuff on Natural Light and Ice.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
It's fueled 3 DUIs for my pops...

Sent from my iDesk air

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Empty cans go in the truck bed... not the cup holder. #**** cops say in the country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts