F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The claim to fame on the ecoboost with the maximum towing package is its ability to tow 11,300 (4x2) or 11,100 (4x4) pounts. I am referenceing the Lariat SuperCrew.
Does anyone have any real world experience towing a Recreation Vehicle over a distance with mulitiple hills? Ford's video towing stock racing cars tucked in behind the tailgate around a relatively flat track isn't quite "real world". Most RVs approaching the maximum towing weight are quite long (mine is 38' and 8500 lbs empty) and have a large frontal area that provides lots of drag.
How does the F150 Ecoboost handle a very unaerodynamic, heavy load such as this?

The dealership has offered to let me take the 2013 I am interested and hook it up. I may just do that...

Thanks for any advice.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Don,

I have pulled up to 11k (27' enclosed trailer using dist. hitch) over 600miles round trip through the Alaska's passes and mountains. I have a 2012 Max Tow PKG SuperCrew 6.5' bed 4x4 (36gal fuel tank).

The truck handles well and does not get pushed around. The motor and tranny combo are a great team. There is more than enough on tap to pull up some of the steepest hills even keeping speeds at 60mphs going up and I often have to back out of the gas. The truck still manages to use 6th gear alot along the trip. MPGs will be low teens (11-13mpg 65mph) and worse I seen with about 20mph head winds was 9.9mpg going 65mph (given the conditions and weight of the not aerodynamic load that is still good in my book). Tranny never got smoking hot (stayed below 209 degrees) and I was still able to pass other trucks pulling trailers up the steep passes.

To give you a comparison my buddy has a simular built 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi with the 3.90 rear end pulling about 8500lbs. His best MPG was 9mpg and worse he saw going thru the windy section was 7.5mpg. Truck would down shift to 3rd and rev out while the EcoBoost hummed along at 2100rpms and never down shifted pass 5th and would continue to build speed.

The EcoBoost bulled better than my Early Superduty with a V10. Smoother and more confident in both pulling and stopping.

I am with Mike and take a test drive and let us know what you think. The feel of the wheel will always make the deal. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
AK - KingBoost
Really glad to read your post. That is exactly what I want a truck to do and why I am considering a '13 F150 EB SC 4x4. I am concerned about the technology only being 3 years old and what lies ahead. I only tow 1-2K per year out of 12K per year. Can't see the need for a F250 for 10K personal driving out of the year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've pulled Catarina Coachmen bumper pull behind my 2011 4x4 Super Crew quite a few times, and other than it being bumpy becuse it's a bumper pull, I've had no issues towing it in the extremely windy area of coastal South Texas where I live. We hardly ever have winds below 15mph on any given day and I towed my trailer from Corpus Christi, TX to my ranch up in Goliad, TX up some windy, narrow roads in pretty high winds and I never felt like my truck was lacking in power. I always disable 6th gear when I'm towing or hauling, but it only dropped into 4th when I went to go around someone on the highway. It had plenty of power and handled the drag nicely.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On my first F-150 EB (I love saying that, lol) I drug my 8000 pound Wolf Pack to Taylor Park and back twice, a 900 mile trip (1200 if I include the side trips) and pulled it to the Dunes at Waynoka 6 or 7 times, rolling hills a good part of the trips and all over the Texas panhandle. I keep 6th gear locked out when towing and so far have been able to maintain up to 65 miles an hour up both sides of Raton Pass, over Monarch pass, Colorado and Cottonwood pass (12,000 feet but no where near those speeds) This thing pulls like a bull. Diesels can certainly pull harder but this thing will get the job done VERY well. My son has two Dodge diesels, an older 2003 and a 2011 with a monster of an engine. I can out pull his old one hands down until he sets his tuner for max power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would take them up on the offer. My dealer was willing to let me load up one of my IH Scouts on my car trailer and take one for a test drive before I ordered one.

I have 3 5.4's in my fleet and one 5.0 but I could tell from just a normal test drive how much better the HP and TQ were compared to the 5.4 and 5.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have towed my 26 ft travel trailer to Colorado with my from Houston twice. I have a 2011 FX4 EB. My previous truck was a 5.3 liter Suburban. I got similar mileage when towing 9 - 12 mpg. Wind direction has a major impact. The EB engine is much nicer for towing. The thing that is obvious right off the bat is the torque. The suburban would downshift on freeway overpasses to maintain 60 mph. The ecoboost engine just groans a little more and the MPG drops. You will not be sorry. I love this truck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kind of on the subject. Has anyone looked into an in bed auxilliary fuel tank. Plan on doing a lot of RVing myself and thought it might be nice to carry an extra 20-40 gallons just to skip a few fuel stops.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Trailer&Truck#2.jpg

I find that by the time I need to gas up... I need to get out of the truck and stretch my legs anyhow..... so I wouldn't invest in one unless it was a necessity based on how much range you need.

Frankly, if I was towing a monster trailer or towing for a living I'd go with a diesel, but for a moderate sized trailer especially if you will being putting most of the miles on the truck around town the EB is the best choice. Diesels don't ride as well because of the springing necessary to hold up a diesel engine. The original investment of the EB is also far less. After all the wild stories, the EB pulls most like a small 5.9 L Cummins ala about 2003..... and that's not bad! I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Kind of on the subject. Has anyone looked into an in bed auxilliary fuel tank. Plan on doing a lot of RVing myself and thought it might be nice to carry an extra 20-40 gallons just to skip a few fuel stops.
I would like this also. I have the smaller 26 gallon fuel tank and when towing it drastically limits my range. I would also like to be able to buy more fuel when I find a decent price or I am out of Chicago. Chicago has the highest gas prices in the country, so it would be nice to buy extra when I leave the state or crook county for that matter.

SPPD

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fortunately my truck will come with the 36 gallon tank. After talking to several after market tank manufactures adding an extra gas tank might not be a good idea. Diesel tanks don't seem to be a problem. Since I will have a cap on my truck I am not wild about a 40 gallon gas can sitting in the bed of the truck. Also having a 5.5 bed added to the problem. About the only thing that will work is a tank in the bed but it could only be done with an electric motor with a 12' hose. Essentially having to pull out the hose turn on the electric motor and pump into my regular gas tank. No automatic transfer pumps allowed for gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All that extra gas and tank would eat up quite a bit of your payload anyway. Since you are getting a 5.5' bed, by the time you have people inside, a cap on top, and a trailer hooked up, I suspect you'll need most of it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Fortunately my truck will come with the 36 gallon tank. After talking to several after market tank manufactures adding an extra gas tank might not be a good idea. Diesel tanks don't seem to be a problem. Since I will have a cap on my truck I am not wild about a 40 gallon gas can sitting in the bed of the truck. Also having a 5.5 bed added to the problem. About the only thing that will work is a tank in the bed but it could only be done with an electric motor with a 12' hose. Essentially having to pull out the hose turn on the electric motor and pump into my regular gas tank. No automatic transfer pumps allowed for gas.
Check with TransferFlow. Most of their tanks are gravity fed and I believe they do have options for gas. They also do replacement tanks for the OEM location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
18 Posts
The claim to fame on the ecoboost with the maximum towing package is its ability to tow 11,300 (4x2) or 11,100 (4x4) pounts. I am referenceing the Lariat SuperCrew.
Does anyone have any real world experience towing a Recreation Vehicle over a distance with mulitiple hills? Ford's video towing stock racing cars tucked in behind the tailgate around a relatively flat track isn't quite "real world". Most RVs approaching the maximum towing weight are quite long (mine is 38' and 8500 lbs empty) and have a large frontal area that provides lots of drag.
How does the F150 Ecoboost handle a very unaerodynamic, heavy load such as this?

The dealership has offered to let me take the 2013 I am interested and hook it up. I may just do that...

Thanks for any advice.

Don
Would love to know how you did with the EB on your trip. We did great towing 5k TT. When we moved up to 8k we have yet to have a successful tow. Hope you figured out to tow safely and successfully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What does an unsuccessful tow mean?
I joined this forum to try to figure out how to tow our TT without sway, squat, and wandering in lane. Solved the sway with the ProPride hitch, and stabilized the ride more with new LT tires( we were using the P's truck came with ), been working with wt distribution bars to bring down steer wheels for greater control and relieve some of the squat. Still wanders a bit, and towing downhill we have to rely on brakes too much for our liking. We have been told to install RAS or air bags. But we are beginning to believe that we R asking too much of our EB. and it is getting too expensive to make it behave like a bigger truck. Some seem to have no problems...not us.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yea, I'll currently towing a Swift 264BH, that weighs around 6000#. The EB tows much better than my old 5.3 GM. Just chugs along around 1800 most of the time.

I'm not sure how 8000# would feel. I say if your pulling that regularly, get a diesel.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I joined this forum to try to figure out how to tow our TT without sway, squat, and wandering in lane. Solved the sway with the ProPride hitch, and stabilized the ride more with new LT tires( we were using the P's truck came with ), been working with wt distribution bars to bring down steer wheels for greater control and relieve some of the squat. Still wanders a bit, and towing downhill we have to rely on brakes too much for our liking. We have been told to install RAS or air bags. But we are beginning to believe that we R asking too much of our EB. and it is getting too expensive to make it behave like a bigger truck. Some seem to have no problems...not us.
Ah gotcha. To me an unsuccessful tow means it doesn't move the trailer or it crashed from failed brakes. You're towing just not ideally/comfortably. Yeah I've never understood why anyone would tow loads that big with a half ton especially when I switched to a 3/4 for a few years. Just the sheer extra weight provides so much more stability.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
About this Discussion
60 Replies
33 Participants
meaz93
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing