F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost - SuperCrew 6.5ft bed with Max Tow and FX4 packages
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time poster here. Ended up going from my 2015 GTI to this bad boy. I've had this 2018 3.5 EB long bed for about 3 months now. A lot of people will rag on me for this one I'm sure, and that's OK! That being said I'll move on: I wasn't able to find a ton of information on removing the rear blocks. I mean it makes sense considering most people either lift/level or just leave their F150 the way it is. There are a few forum posts here and there but a lot of the pictures aren't viewable anymore. I wanted to share some pictures of what my truck turned out like after I removed them for anyone who was thinking about doing this or lowering shackles. I am very pleased with the outcome. Honestly the only major difference I notice so far is I'm not looking into the sky out of my rearview anymore and there is still some rake left. The back of the bed is lower so it will be easier for me to get things in and out of, I wanted the long bed mainly because I refurbish old furniture and a lot of the stuff I pick up is just too big for the 5.5. If I end up needing to haul a heavy load I'll just throw the blocks back in so I'm not blinding the birds. It doesn't take long to get them in or out, even though there is a lack of photos there is still info out there on how to do it for those who want to know. I have a lot of things planned for this truck, I'm excited to be a part of this community! She's not super clean, it just rained here so don't look too hard.

Before (day I picked it up):

After:

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
That’s exactly what I did to one of my Gen1 raptors back in 2013. It did ride a bit more rough due to the shocks being slightly more compressed but it looked good :cool:

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks for sharing this, I've been wanting to do this and just haven't gotten around to it, you have confirmed what I want
looks great, welcome to the forum

·
Registered
776 Posts
Nice, looks great! I remove the blocks on every one of my trucks and usually add a 1" spacer in the front to get it completely level. Just did the same thing on my 2021 XLT.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK quick question. Blocks and lowering shackle combination. Is it either or...or combination?

·
Registered
776 Posts
OK quick question. Blocks and lowering shackle combination. Is it either or...or combination?
Never done the lowering shackles, but I'm pretty positive you can do both the blocks and/or the shackles, whichever you prefer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to just do this for the price of a new 21mm deep socket before I messed with shackles. I won't end up doing the shackles i don't think, I'm pretty happy with this "stuffed" look. I'm going to be doing some performance mods so it helps keep me on the sport truck path, plus it really does help when I pick up my furniture. Glad some of you are liking it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I only asked because I purchased the drop shackles before I knew about the blocks BUT haven't had time to do anything yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only asked because I purchased the drop shackles before I knew about the blocks BUT haven't had time to do anything yet.
Oh, I see. I know some people do the blocks and shackles, there are a couple pics out there from a few years ago of people that did that combo to their truck

·
Registered
37 Posts
No poking fun here, I did the same to my 18. My wife was prego at the time and we have a 3yo who likes to try and climb in and out on his own so I did the poor mans level to help them out fully intending to put the blocks back and level the front down the road. Baby is here (been here 4 months lol) and "down the road" is still...down the road. I like it well enough, rides the same and I have yet to need the height on any trails we have hit so Ill leave it be till I decide otherwise.

Matt

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Something that you get along with a level stance. Removing the blocks helps with rear axle wind up and poor traction. The axle is mounted closer to the spring and the whole connection is less likely to twist. Something to consider between shackles and blocks. KM

Reactions: Tim_M

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not so sure about that from a physics standpoint. Is it easier to stop rotation closer to the axis or further out??? A 90 degree brace (block equivalent) off a shift will be more solid the further away from the axis. Think torque wrench or Johnson bar. The further away it is, the better for leverage. I may be wrong in this application...just thinking out loud so don't beat me like a rented mule...LOL

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I always figured the axle provides the twist that can wrap the spring out of shape. The larger the distance from axle shafts to the spring the larger the force multiplication, "Think torque wrench or Johnson bar". I do know my block less F150 does not have nearly as much spring wrap/ axle hop compared to spacer block equipped F150's. Thinking out loud myself. KM

1 - 20 of 48 Posts