F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have an open rear dif that’s going bad ratio of 9.75. The parts yard has a rear dif but it has an elocker. Has anyone swapped from an open dif to one with an elock? My only worry is the ecu rejecting the switch and it staying locked all the time. Thanks

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Okay so I have an open rear dif that’s going bad ratio of 9.75. The parts yard has a rear dif but it has an elocker. Has anyone swapped from an open dif to one with an elock? My only worry is the ecu rejecting the switch and it staying locked all the time. Thanks
I think if you get the harness and the dash switch with it, it would be possible.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,960 Posts
What @winchested said but I think you are confused about gear ratio. 9.75" is the ring gear size. Make sure you get the same gear ratio.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I'd just swap the whole diff in.

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
61 Posts
Depending what part of the diff failed, id personally rebuild it and install a Detroit Truetrac locker. I ran one in a built 7.3 f250, and then later ran an Eaton posi in my old 08 f250 6.4. The truetrac was much smoother and more responsive, for lack of a better term. Its a helical gear posi, no spider gears involved.

I'd actually rather have one of those than my E locker in the back of my f150.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Depending what part of the diff failed, id personally rebuild it and install a Detroit Truetrac locker. I ran one in a built 7.3 f250, and then later ran an Eaton posi in my old 08 f250 6.4. The truetrac was much smoother and more responsive, for lack of a better term. Its a helical gear posi, no spider gears involved.

I'd actually rather have one of those than my E locker in the back of my f150.
To get it lock up on two different surfaces you need to Learn to modulate the brakes and or run with the E brake a few clicks on.

The E locker is always on if selected under 35 mph.

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
61 Posts
To get it lock up on two different surfaces you need to Learn to modulate the brakes and or run with the E brake a few clicks on.

The E locker is always on if selected under 35 mph.

As someone who actually owned one, i disagree. Helical LSDs do not free wheel. The amount of differential action is closely limited to the speed difference on turns, mechanically. Im telling you it was always an extremely positive and very smooth transition. You could go from rounding a corner to hammering the throttle and go into a very smooth controlled tail slide. The second you released the heavy torque load, the diff relaxed and would allow varying wheel speed again, zero wheel hop or binding.

The E locker is limted to 20mph, actually. When its engaged, you hop around corners, naturally. It also has enough slop to cause quite a bit of wheel hop when hammering the throttle from a start. I've Since installed one of those SPD diff switches, but that just removes the speed restriction. It's fundamental flaws still exist.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
As someone who actually owned one, i disagree. Helical LSDs do not free wheel. The amount of differential action is closely limited to the speed difference on turns, mechanically. Im telling you it was always an extremely positive and very smooth transition. You could go from rounding a corner to hammering the throttle and go into a very smooth controlled tail slide. The second you released the heavy torque load, the diff relaxed and would allow varying wheel speed again, zero wheel hop or binding.

The E locker is limted to 20mph, actually. When its engaged, you hop around corners, naturally. It also has enough slop to cause quite a bit of wheel hop when hammering the throttle from a start. I've Since installed one of those SPD diff switches, but that just removes the speed restriction. It's fundamental flaws still exist.
I have a truetrac in my 79 Scout. On two different surfaces, one tire on loose dirt, one on rock, or one on gravel, one on pavement, they do not lock up enough. I still prefer it 100% to an autolocker however.

You Don't use an E-locker on the street for going around corners. It's for offroad use or going in a straight line.

As for the over 20mph thing you can bypass that easily with the raptor module.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a truetrac in my 79 Scout. On two different surfaces, one tire on loose dirt, one on rock, or one on gravel, one on pavement, they do not lock up enough. I still prefer it 100% to an autolocker however.

You Don't use an E-locker on the street for going around corners. It's for offroad use or going in a straight line.

As for the over 20mph thing you can bypass that easily with the raptor module.
It's interesting that's your experience with it. I never Offroaded the f250 as far as rock crawling goes, but apparently it's bias was strong enough for everything i was doing (including the winter driving here in the north).

I'm Aware of the proper uses for a locker, i was making an example as far as the tire scrub goes.

The raptor tccm/4wd switch crossed my mind but the SPD relay won out that battle as far as cost goes. I did notice they removed the 11-14 f150 from the application chart after i bought and installed it. The use of this relay causes the selector switch to operate opposite it's design So switch pulled out, diff is disengaged, switch pushed in diff is engaged. Maybe that explains the removal of the 11 to 14 trucks from the list.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
As a person who is seriously considering swapping my eLock for a TrueTrac; I basically only use my eLock for when the roads are slick and/or covered in snow/ice during winter.

Due to high brokerage fees, the cost to deliver to Canada is far too expensive. I have to wait for this Covid thing to subside so I can again go across the border and use one of those Shipping/Warehouses and use their address to have parts shipped, and I pickup and drive back home. Then I just have to pay Federal GST and Provincial PST only (like any other purchase).

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
As a person who is seriously considering swapping my eLock for a TrueTrac; I basically only use my eLock for when the roads are slick and/or covered in snow/ice during winter.

Due to high brokerage fees, the cost to deliver to Canada is far too expensive. I have to wait for this Covid thing to subside so I can again go across the border and use one of those Shipping/Warehouses and use their address to have parts shipped, and I pickup and drive back home. Then I just have to pay Federal GST and Provincial PST only (like any other purchase).
Yup can't wait for those days when all this BS is done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a TrueTrac in the old Jeep I used to have. The only regret I had with it was the 12 years of one wheel peeling I did before I got it.

That said, with an extreme traction difference, it would free wheel. In my case, that was one wheel on hard packed gravel and the other on polished ice while trying to start moving up hill. Unfortunately the hand brake cable going to the wheel on ice was broken. In normal driving, it gave much better traction on snow and ice, and smooth operation on pavement. There were mud holes on a road trail I would often go down that were questionable in 4wd with open differentials that I could run through confidently in 2wd with the TrueTrac. When I was looking to buy my truck, before I knew about the eLocker, I had planned to have a TrueTrac dropped in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts