F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a B&M rear differential cover. The manual for our truck states there is 5.5 pints of fluid in there. B&M says their cover adds 1/2 a qt. That’s a total of 6 pints or 3 quarts. I’ve put 7 qts in and there is no sign of it being near the fill plug. ???????

·
Modinstrator
3,181 Posts
I just installed a B&M rear differential cover. The manual for our truck states there is 5.5 pints of fluid in there. B&M says their cover adds 1/2 a qt. That’s a total of 6 pints or 3 quarts. I’ve put 7 qts in and there is no sign of it being near the fill plug. ???????
You’ve put quarts ​in the differential? I find that almost unbelievable. Did you mean 7 pints?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Did you take the gears out when you installed the cover?! Good grief! 7 quarts?!
I mean, that's a LOT of fuild!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Is the truck on level ground?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Just watching this one because I'm curious. 7 quarts...?

·
Registered
310 Posts
This video they put 7 QUARTS!

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sure did. I even looked it up and the B&M instructions: Adds .5 Quarts Fluid Capacity

Which would be 6 pints... Guess someone forgot to change the measurements when the wrote the booklet!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
FYI, there are 2 pints in a quart. So if the cover adds 0.5 quarts, that would be an addition full pint. So it should take 6.5 pints, perhaps as much as 7 pints if their cover specs are inaccurate. How much came out? Were you able to measure? I don't even think you could get 7 quarts in there.

·
Modinstrator
3,181 Posts
Gotta back out of my assumption on this. Look how high the fill hole is in that cover. It’s gotta be filling up the axle tubes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. I’m aware there are 2 pints to a quart. Between the ford owners manual and the b&m instructions there should be 6 pints or 3 quarts. I put 7 quarts of Mobil 1 75-140 synthetic in. That’s $140. So yes. I’m sure what I added. 7 qts put it up to the fill hole. Look at the video posted about this differential. They add 7 qts

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Is that cover designed for high pinion?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Diff covers are kinda like valve covers...they look good but add no value. And in this case, just cost extra money. For instance, my 30 year old neighbor just put new tires, a lift, and a diff cover on his Ram. I installed an SCT tuner. I got a ton more power and he got looks. And the F150 still looks better!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have to agree. SO many people in other threads say "if you're smarter than the engineers" but this is one time I have to agree. Yes you get more fluid but since there is no external cooling does it really do anything?

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I have to agree. SO many people in other threads say "if you're smarter than the engineers" but this is one time I have to agree. Yes you get more fluid but since there is no external cooling does it really do anything?
I don't exactly agree with you and @USMstang. Most people get a after market covers so We can actually see the oil level so you don't have to pull the plug and see how much is in it, plus it makes it so much easier to change oil. New covers also have cooling fins inside and out to help cooling if towing extreme loads for Long distances. Just my 2 cents:):)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't exactly agree with you and @USMstang. Most people get a after market covers so We can actually see the oil level so you don't have to pull the plug and see how much is in it, plus it makes it so much easier to change oil. New covers also have cooling fins inside and out to help cooling if towing extreme loads for Long distances. Just my 2 cents:):)
I've not seen a diff cover with cooling fins on the inside yet but won't disagree that some fins on the outside may aid in cooling. And these drain plugs/level windows seem pretty cool too, just not $225 cool to me. I see by your sig line that you like cool looking stuff and that's great. I prefer functional parts with a lot of bang for my $$.

Reactions: looqw
1 - 20 of 51 Posts