F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
You could also verify the fluid level at the OEM plug on the front of the differential cover. With your truck level check the height of the stock fill port to the ground (or smooth surface like a garage floor), then do the same with the B&M fill port. Maybe there is a discrepancy. I would fill using the OEM hole and verify the 2 holes are the same height. You would only need to do this once and note any difference for the next time you drain and fill using the B&M ports. You don't want to overfill.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
I've not seen a diff cover with cooling fins on the inside yet but won't disagree that some fins on the outside may aid in cooling. And these drain plugs/level windows seem pretty cool too, just not $225 cool to me. I see by your sig line that you like cool looking stuff and that's great. I prefer functional parts with a lot of bang for my $$.
Everything I get DOES have a better function except for a few that are for looks only. I'm just blessed to be financially set to have some better things in life than most. God, family first. I completly understand where your coming from and respect it.

$343
IMG_3397.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well isn't that the coolest freakin diff cover!! Thanks for sharing the pic and I too have been blessed financially which means I'll probably "have to have" one of these bad boys! :cool: I'm not sure whether to thank you or not. LOL I spent the afternoon in "LA" Monday...I knew I was there as soon as it promptly began raining at 1 pm (in Mobile). Back in the day I lived there for about 7 years and I'm pretty sure it rained every day during the summer at 1pm.

Reactions: Mr B

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Well isn't that the coolest freakin diff cover!! Thanks for sharing the pic and I too have been blessed financially which means I'll probably "have to have" one of these bad boys! :cool: I'm not sure whether to thank you or not. LOL I spent the afternoon in "LA" Monday...I knew I was there as soon as it promptly began raining at 1 pm (in Mobile). Back in the day I lived there for about 7 years and I'm pretty sure it rained every day during the summer at 1pm.
All I wanted was a diff cover with a drain plug, and not wanting to spend too much, so I ended up with a G2 cover. Only about 1/2 quart more capacity than stock, but fits my bill. IMG_20160720_175955.jpg

Reactions: bespurcell and Mr B

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I have mag hytec on mine. Great piece and looks the best out of any cover IMO.

Those of you replacing fluid in your diff, it is simple, plug the fill plug on side of housing. Truck on level ground, when the fluid starting weeping out the hole as filling up, youre good. Same procedure on transfer case, except that has a drain and fill plug.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Those questioning the cover, for most it is a waste of money. The benefit of it is built in drain plug for maintenance and if youre towing a lot or running larger tires/wheels or both. The extra capacity of fluid helps keep everything inside cooler simply due to having more fluid.

The mag-hytec has a dip stick thats magnetic as well. The factory unit only the fill plug is magnetic. This helps pull the metal out of fluid a lot more vs stock.

·
Modinstrator
3,178 Posts
Had a Mag Hytec on my last one liked it a lot. Didn’t love the engraved script.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Reactions: Elmore328

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
I'm not expecting it to keep cooler or make my gears last longer. I simply want an easier fluid change.
Those questioning the cover, for most it is a waste of money. The benefit of it is built in drain plug for maintenance and if youre towing a lot or running larger tires/wheels or both. The extra capacity of fluid helps keep everything inside cooler simply due to having more fluid.

The mag-hytec has a dip stick thats magnetic as well. The factory unit only the fill plug is magnetic. This helps pull the metal out of fluid a lot more vs stock.
Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
14 Posts
All I wanted was a diff cover with a drain plug, and not wanting to spend too much, so I ended up with a G2 cover. Only about 1/2 quart more capacity than stock, but fits my bill.
Nice, i like that cover alot, adds a little rigidity too in case you bash it on a rock

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Nice, i like that cover alot, adds a little rigidity too in case you bash it on a rock
Pretty sure steel covers dent and aluminum covers come off in chunks?

But that looks better than the other super capacity deals.

·
Modinstrator
3,178 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This video they put 7 QUARTS!

Old thread I stumbled upon but I wanted to mention since it wasn't said already that they completely bungled the install here. The Ford factory fill plug sets the fill level. The fill port in the cover they are using is above the axle tubes! If you read the video comments you will see this pointed out

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
The fill and check plug on F150 diffs is in front and at the axle tube bottom level. The fill plug on the aftermarket is above the top of the axle tubes backside of the diff. KM

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just to add another thought (no need to shoot me down...lol)...more fluid height is not always good. Just to state, I have not checked the parts myself...the higher level may affect seal and weeping through, as well as increased pressure and temps inside the housing. Air space will compress, fluids will not and may be forced through seals. There will be extra fluid resistance on the gears, and increased fluid movement required. If it is designed to draw fluids up instead of be somewhat submerged you will not get the cooling. As mentioned, these are just thoughts (when comparing to different industrial applications) so no need to exert any attitude. Happy New Years to ALL!
CHEERS, Sadz.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts