F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
334 Posts
Everything I get DOES have a better function except for a few that are for looks only. I'm just blessed to be financially set to have some better things in life than most. God, family first. I completly understand where your coming from and respect it.

$343
View attachment 150056
Not to revive a thread from the dead, but just so no one else sees this and thinks hey I should get one of these. Watch the video that banks made on the square edge covers, they do not work well, worse than oem even. The diff fluid does not flow as it should.
G2, B&M, etc are good options if you want external cooling fins and fill/drain plugs.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Not to revive a thread from the dead, but just so no one else sees this and thinks hey I should get one of these. Watch the video that banks made on the square edge covers, they do not work well, worse than oem even. The diff fluid does not flow as it should.
G2, B&M, etc are good options if you want external cooling fins and fill/drain plugs.
Haven’t seen any body have issues. that vid is only opinion based with no facts of having any failures with it. but if you have please post.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Haven’t seen any body have issues. that vid is only opinion based with no facts of having any failures with it. but if you have please post.
It's science. Real video, and it shows fluid movement.

Even my Dana 44 HD covers, one is Cast Iron, one is welded steel. Both follow standard Dana 44 cover dimensions.

The standard covee flow also helps thw fluid flow up into the axle shafts and into the axle shafts bearings.

Watch the vids. The science is simple. It's all on video that any idiot like us can see.

Reactions: looqw

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
It's science. Real video, and it shows fluid movement.

Even my Dana 44 HD covers, one is Cast Iron, one is welded steel. Both follow standard Dana 44 cover dimensions.

The standard covee flow also helps thw fluid flow up into the axle shafts and into the axle shafts bearings.

Watch the vids. The science is simple. It's all on video that any idiot like us can see.
Still no reported problems and yes it seems that the oil is slung better with the other covers. But how much oil (slung oil) does it take to keep everything properly lubed? Haven’t seen no long term problems. I’ve got more oil and cooling fins inside and out if things do get hot. I think they were trying to see what temperature differences there was but they never completed it for all the different covers. If you know of any failures or problems please inform us, PS I said facts of having any failures with it , not facts of data

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Still no reported problems and yes it seems that the oil is slung better with the other covers. But how much oil (slung oil) does it take to keep everything properly lubed? Haven’t seen no long term problems. I’ve got more oil and cooling fins inside and out if things do get hot. I think they were trying to see what temperature differences there was but they never completed it for all the different covers. If you know of any failures or problems please inform us, PS I said facts of having any failures with it , not facts of data
Unfortunately it wouldn't be an acute failure obviuolsy, but could it potentially shorten the life of the pinion bearings and wheel bearings? Potentially if they are not getting the proper flow and oil to them. But since rear end failures are a crap shoot anyhow its likely not a measurable difference.

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
Did any of you watch the videos Gale Banks produced when they were studying aftermarket diff covers?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Did any of you watch the videos Gale Banks produced when they were studying aftermarket diff covers?

Yes.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
334 Posts

That is the one I was referring to. How “mr b” is saying that is an opinion is beyond me, you can physically see the fluid does not circulate as it should, sure he can prove failure in the video itself but if you understand the purpose/role differential fluid plays it’s quite apparent you’re going to do damage over the long term with these flat back aftermarket covers

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
While banks "proves" it, if you look at his own data, the flat back covers still are substantially cooler than stock. WIth the large amount of extra fluid, you are still covering your bearings, that is where I call bs on him. If that was the case, LOTS of rear ends would be hainvg problems. I have had my flat back cover on since truck was new...

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
+++++++above That 2 quarts extra he put in is above the recommended fill line thats in the sight glass of covers with one. He worded it as if we were putting that much extra oil in the gearbox but we are because size of the cover and not going over the recommended level. He said that they recommended to? Never heard of that. I do like their cover. I like the air scoops on bottom that direct air over the backside the only thing is if your mudding it might get clogged up or damaged rock climbing but still will cool better than stock anyway. I guess he couldn’t duplicate his cover with plexiglass ...... to bad:(:( we couldn’t see those results.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Extra 2 qrts don't mean squat, once it gets hot it's hot right. Turbulent flow is bad in any fluid system...

Like I stated it isn't likely that you could get any data anyhow unless it was 2 brand new rear ends, driven at same speeds under same loads until failure. I'm sure axle manufactures have done it, I doubt G2 etc has done it.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts