F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
1,009 Posts
Couple of questions:

@RMB_Ryan referenced a metric size for the heads and turbos, yet I am reading posts where people are using 6AN which I was under the impression was standard thread. I assume that an adapter will be used with the M14x1.5 thread pitch +oring at the head/turbo end and a 6AN on the line end, correct? If this is the case, where did you find these fittings? I am not seeing one that has the oring on the metric side (head/turbo.)

Preference on stainless braided line: Has anyone used PTFE stainless braided lines for this application? I know it is not quite as flexible as some other products but has high heat and pressure resistance. Also does it still require fire shield or does the stainless braid offer same protection?

So in theory, a 90 out of the back of the heads hose straight into the top of turbos for inlet, straight out of turbo and into block for outlet, correct?

From the back of heads - M14x1.5 +oring to 6AN fitting to 6AN 90 to stainless braided line to 6AN fitting with M14x1.5 +oring into turbo.

Same fitting for outlet just without the 90.

Just want to make sure I order what I need and have everything in hand so it minimizes down time.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
1,009 Posts
Need to clarify the following:

The factory Ford water pipe connectors use an oring on the head and turbo side, so when searching for fittings and reading posts I am seeing ORB (oring boss.)

Is the factory Ford part an ORB connection?

Can an oring be put on an adapter that does not come with one or is a chamfered spot required?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Couple of questions:

@RMB_Ryan referenced a metric size for the heads and turbos, yet I am reading posts where people are using 6AN which I was under the impression was standard thread.
I removed a bunch of your quote just so post won't look so long.

I haven't done mine for this same reason. I haven't been able to find exact part numbers/quantities. I have alternate transportation but I don't want the truck to be down more than just the weekend if it can be avoided, especially with it starting to get warmer and I do not ride the motorcycle when it's 90*+ and humid - too miserable.

If you're able to figure this out please post a good list of parts, I think MANY people will appreciate it. I honestly can't believe one of the vendors hasn't complied this to sell as a kit.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
1,009 Posts
Scott,

Will do! Mine is currently down and requires several repairs which includes pulling the turbos, so I figured the factory stuff would be replaced anyway (especially since one is leaking.)

Hopefully it will not be too long of a wait to get everything in and installed to verify.

-T

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did mine. I used PTFE hose for the top line. The block lines needed to be replaced. Didn't leak till I put the new turbos on tho. Go figure.
I also put DEI wrap around the hose just for good measure.
I did not put on braided hose on the block side fittings due to clearance issues. The line that goes behind the AC compressor is just too close. I could however flare it once it got past the compressor, but I didn't really wanna mess with fabrication as my truck had already been down for a few weeks at that time. Taking it apart and putting it back together again several times is extremely frustrating.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
1,009 Posts
Excellent, thank you. What brand of AN fittings did you go with for the PTFE braid adapters, 90's and 45's? My summit, Jegs and amazon cart has all kinds of different pricing and brands in them. In the past I have used Earls brand, but I have also read great reviews on other brands as well.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Understood. But so I can get a visual I used my massive and almost overpowering skills in paint to draw something up.

The head or turbo would connect to the fitting which would connect to the 90 or 45 degree fitting then to the hose which would have the same fittings on the opposite side. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
1,009 Posts
Agreed with Cam, the PTFE will handle much higher temperatures and will not break down like rubber will.

On my 15 there appears to be quite a bit more room between the heads and the firewall as opposed to looking at pictures of 11-14 models. I wonder if it was changed specifically for that? Or maybe I am just being hopeful.

I did find a bunch of things I had not observed before however, such as valve covers leaking slightly, vacuum pump leaking slightly, sigh. I need to do the timing stuff so I may just pull the motor completely out and do it all while it is on a stand. The motor is FILTHY too, so maybe it will behave after repairs and a bath!

I love this truck, but lord buying used has its issues. Haha

61 - 80 of 112 Posts