F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Been having trouble with my rear driver side rotor fitting back over my parking brake. For reference I just recently got the Powerstop Z36 set for all wheels and the passenger side rotor went on just fine without much trouble. Can't seem to get this one to fit. Seems to be hitting the parking brake just enough to not want to get on. I can wiggle and shimmy it enough to get over the lip but I don't want to continue to force it on that way. Seems too tight. I have moved the adjustment sprocket all the way tight so there isn't any play left from that end. Any other advice that you guys might have to get this on a bit easier? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Got the pads on correct? There is a front and back. I think.....mickey mouse ears are on the back set. There was discussion on the forum about this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try swapping the one you already installed to the side you're having trouble with -
that'll tell you if it's a rotor problem or not. Also, drum brakes (parking) are usually
able to move a little on the pivot, maybe you bumped the shoes over a little when
you removed the rotors

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Oops-misread this...PB....don't know:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update, ended up taking some penetrating oil to the rust and buildup around the top portion of where the brakes pivot and did a little pounding with a rubber mallet to knock them loose a bit. Seemed to help. I then took one of my bigger one-handed bar clamps and brought them in that way. Was able to move them in enough for the rotor to fit back on. Appreciate the insight guys! Hopefully this gives someone else another way to get over the issue next time.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Got the pads on correct? There is a front and back. I think.....mickey mouse ears are on the back set. There was discussion on the forum about this.
For reference, I think I recall the "ears" are on the front pads, not the rear. Its been a while since I did mine, but you are correct that whichever set that has the ears, you MUST install them correctly on the right side or they won't seat properly and you risk damaging the pads and/or disks. If you find you are not able to get the pads and caliper to seat properly, double check the ear tabs to make sure you didn't install them on the wrong side.

Also for rear disks not installing due to the parking brake, make sure the parking brake is not depressed or engaged at all before you start the brake job. Drive a bit (forward & reverse) if you accidentally did to loosen them. If you are having problems installing the rear disks due to the parking brake/shoes, you then need to adjust the shoes a bit. The parking brake shoes probably expanded too much outward due to wear on the old drum. Plenty of videos on YouTube on the procedure.

Finally, (with the engine running) if your brakes feel a bit soft when you first push down or there feels like there is a bit of play when you depress the brake initially, that quickly goes away after you pump your brakes a couple of times; you probably need to bleed your brakes a little (not uncommon after a brake job). Your brakes should feel hard when you first pump the pedal - not on the second or third pump. When you bleed your brakes, make sure you start with the rears (furthest away from the Master) rear pass, rear driver, front pass and finally front driver. THEN you can top your brake reservoir with fluid to the proper level as it may be down a little.

Again, there are plenty of videos of this on YouTube. You don't need any fancy equipment (like some videos show) ... I prefer to have a second person to "slowly pump" the brake pedal while I bleed each wheel. Just be careful to not get any brake fluid on any painted surface or driveway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts