F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I noticed the other day that my rear window defroster was not working. When I turn on the defroster the side mirrors work and the light on the button turns on, but the rear does not seem to work. I checked the fuses and relay and all seem fine.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do you think the rear window defroster has gone bad and need to be replaced by Ford?

Also my power rear window still works, So I am not sure if it would be a connection problem.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Have you done any research? What gen, year and trim?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you done any research? What gen, year and trim?
I have done some googling and most I see is post about taking the truck in for warranty, and that does not help me. Also seeing a lot where the light does not show up when pressing the button.'

Its a 2016, 1st gen, XLT

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Apparently the rear window has a tendency to burst when rear defrost is used.

That being said, mine went out a couple years ago, cursory search has the whole window being replaced. There are a few "hacks" and tests you can do to see if it's the circuits in the window or contacts, if you're really motivated to attempt fixing it.

I live in a cold climate and used this function maybe 3-4 times in 6 years. It's kind of a gimmick to be honest.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently the rear window has a tendency to burst when rear defrost is used.

That being said, mine went out a couple years ago, cursory search has the whole window being replaced. There are a few "hacks" and tests you can do to see if it's the circuits in the window or contacts, if you're really motivated to attempt fixing it.

I live in a cold climate and used this function maybe 3-4 times in 6 years. It's kind of a gimmick to be honest.
I use it pretty often, for either snow, or defogger. So it be worth to fix for me personally.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I use it pretty often, for either snow, or defogger. So it be worth to fix for me personally.
In the 09-14s they were known to randomly blow out due to the defroster and most unhooked the wires to it behind the rear seats. In the 2015 plus haven't heard of it being an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my '11. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet, so interested to see what the collective comes up with for a solution.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my '11. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet, so interested to see what the collective comes up with for a solution.
If you want to pay Ford $750 for a new window hook it up a and see what happens...

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Is that really the only fix? A new window. I was hoping it may be a relay or fuse, or a bad connection I could hopefully fix.
Have you pulled the rear seat and looked at the connections for power?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts