523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice: #13E03

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Dealers

SUBJECT: DELIVERY HOLD - Emission Recall 13E03
Certain 2013 Model Year F-150 Vehicles Equipped with a 3.5L GTDI Engine
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module

AFFECTED VEHICLES
Certain 2013 model year F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L GTDI engine built at Dearborn and
Kansas City Assembly Plants from April 2, 2013 through June 5, 2013. Affected vehicles are
identified in OASIS. In addition, for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership, visit
https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com. This information will be available on July 25, 2013.

REASON FOR THIS EMISSION RECALL
In all of the affected vehicles, the Downstream Catalyst Monitor Sensor (DCMS) Onboard Diagnostics
test does not complete. While the DCMS test is running and not completing, the engine air-fuel
control may remain biased rich, which has a negative impact on emissions and fuel economy.

SERVICE ACTION
Before delivering any of the vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to reprogram the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM) to the latest level using IDS release 85.02 or higher. This service must be
performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner Letters are expected to be mailed by September 20, 2013. Dealers should repair any affected
vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Taking mine in tomorrow. Found out about it after completing a vehicle health report, and reviewing the findings report on syncmyride.com

·
Registered
728 Posts
At least the F150, unlike the Focus ST I bought in June, made it to the house from the dealership before the VHR notified me of this item.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Taking mine in tomorrow. Found out about it after completing a vehicle health report, and reviewing the findings report on syncmyride.com
I found out after running a health report that my truck has the recall as well. Joe, did you see fuel mileage increase after the update?

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have perceived an increase in miles per gallon. I was averaging 14'ish, now I'm at 16 or close. The increase while cruising down the highway I would guess is good for 2 to 3 MPG.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just had this flashed to my truck and mpg dropped from 19 freeway to 17... That's only over 400 miles so ill wait for it to "learn" before I get too upset.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Maybe they idled it around the shop. Doesn't take much of that to kill your mileage. Seems to be whatever vehicle I take in, to which we shop, standard operating procesure is to kill that tanks mileage haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took mine in to the dealer and they initially said that this recall did not apply to my truck. Then after an hour they came out to the waiting room and told me that they went ahead and re-flashed the PCM anyhow with the newest programming. Whatever they did, I like it! I went into the dealer with a truck that routinely averaged in the high 13's, and left with one averaging in the high teens....and that's while running e10 fuel!!! I have not noticed any loss of power, responsiveness...notta, nothing. Even after hot dog'n it around, I'm still seeing 16.7 mpg, and that's a combo of city/highway/and a few WOT blasts. I'm finally very happy with the ecoboost!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
How long did the update take?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It took them about 1 1/2 hours to update mine

·
Registered
75 Posts

The bulletin says it allows the dealership .4 hours labor - the rest will depend on how fast you get through your dealership.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The bulletin says it allows the dealership .4 hours labor - the rest will depend on how fast you get through your dealership.
Agreed. I just contacted the dealership I bought my truck and they told me that I am the first person they've seen with this recall notice. That sure gives me the "Warm and fuzzy feeling (NOT)". They told me 2+ hours to do it.

I suspect the extra time is to install a new PCM should they flash it wrong.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine was 10 minutes at the most. I was in and out of the dealer in 15 minutes. No exaggeration. I had spoken to my service adviser the day before bring it in, he said they could do it first thing in the morning without waiting. They performed the PCM update in the service drive.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My dealership said they need the truck for a half day. ;(

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost App

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got mine done today. I was there 40 minutes total. I live 20 miles from the dealership, so not a lot of driving to test it out, but I got 26.1 MPG with the cruise set the whole way (flat, back roads, 40mph). Never been able to do that before. The best I ever got was 24. Hope it holds true from now on.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I feel like my truck needs this update based on my hwy mpg I'm getting. I drive 70 miles daily for work (70 mph @ about 1700 rpms), and haven't seen better than 16.2 avg mpg. My truck is 4x4 with a 2" front level kit and 33x12.5x20 mud terrain tires. However, the date of production for my truck is 3/26/13.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So I live very rural. Typically, I do not get on an interstate unless making a trip to St. Louis. I am on 2-lane roads where the speed limit is 55. On some days, I go to work pretty early in the morning and may not see but maybe 2 or 3 other vehicles along the way. Because of that, I can baby the truck to get the best possible mileage out of it. I click the button on my shifter so that I can always see what gear the tranny is in. When it shifts into 6th, I set the cruise (about 41 mph). Doing that, I could get 24 MPG. I know most people do not have the situation I do that they can do that, but I can, so I do. However, I have found since my reflash that I do not need to do this. I drove 55mph this morning to work and got 23MPG. I would've been around 19.5 or 19.6 before the relfash. Like I said yesterday, if this keeps up, I will be a happy camper.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts