F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm having a continual issue on my 2018 3.5 EB F150. Anytime my tank runs low and i attempt to refuel, it will not let me fill past 13 gallons. Any suggestions? I've tried 6 different gas stations, tried waiting and letting the fuel settle, tried using the funnel, tried pulling out the wand, done all I can!!! Anyone experience this or have heard of it?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Like the pump pops and shuts off automatically. Very weird.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 230 Miles roughly..

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Can you get more into it with a gas can after you get 13 gallons into it? I wonder if you have only a 25 gallon tank?

I wonder if these have a bladder inside he tank and maybe yours has a leak which let gas outside of the bladder but still is contained within the factory installed tank?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your fuel guage is clearly misreading your fuel level.
What does the fuel gauge have to do with it if it's the gas pump that's shutting off? Sounds like he's got an obstruction to me.

·
Administrator
9,507 Posts
His point is that he thinks when the fuel gauge reads empty it's not actually empty and there is plenty of fuel left in the tank.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yep. Try a test. Next time you get close to empty, put a full gas can in the bed and keep driving. See if you actually run out shortly after hitting "empty" or do keep on going?

·
Registered
149 Posts
His point is that he thinks when the fuel gauge reads empty it's not actually empty and there is plenty of fuel left in the tank.

Gotcha. I figured he'd already tried that (run out of fuel).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you or did you mess with the DTE setting for towing? It can mess this up after you set it back but it only takes about 500 miles to clear.

However this would only make sense if your strictly using the dte gauge as your only fuel gauge, as the regular gauge will still register the correct amount of fuel if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curios, why don't you take it back to the dealer and let them sort it out? Like next time your near empty! Myself I don't care to run out of fuel with anything .

·
Administrator
9,507 Posts
Sometimes with simple issues, that's easier said than done. For small stuff I fix it myself. It's easier than trying to arrange to get it to the dealership and arrange another ride. Even if they gave me a rental I still have to arrange to get the truck there. My dealership does not provide a rental until a diagnosis has been reached and it is decided that it IS covered under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check your digital read out for “Miles to Empty”, see if it reads different than the regular fuel gauge. ‘This could help so you sort it out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
19 Participants
ConvictedConvict
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing