F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Moderstrator
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I’ll connect the battery maintainer today and start shopping for a new battery. And plan more substantial driving trips.

Font Document Number Parallel

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,239 Posts
You never know. That battery could be toast, but it could have a lot of life left.
That alert could be from nothing more than a random parasitic draw last night?
Have you been short tripping for a few days?

Regardless, that battery maintainer can supplement the the F150's battery charging strategy and extend the life of that battery for a long time.

Of course if fussing with the maintainer isn't appealing, that's a different story.
Pretend it's your block warmer and you live in Fargo? :)

· Moderstrator
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of short trips recently. But I’ve noticed the passenger door touch to open doesn’t always work until I’ve driven the truck a bit. I’ve replaced both remote batteries - no change - so I am guessing a new battery is in order.
This one doesn’t look old but that means nothing (us older gents will understand that).

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

· Premium Member
17 Lariat SCLB Max Tow 4x4
1,202 Posts
Throw the tender on it!

· Moderstrator
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any issues connecting this way?

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Playstation portable Communication Device Mobile phone Portable communications device Font

· Registered
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
2,113 Posts
The connections look as in the video

He's not the ultimate authority and I discount some of his theories, but in this and many other things I consider his info "dead on". KM

· Moderstrator
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s what I see with OBDLink -

Font Circle Technology Darkness Symmetry

· Registered
852 Posts
I recieved that message daily when I first bought my truck. It was a brand new battery and I received it for about a month. I received it frequently again about two years later. Now I am still on the battery 4.5 year later and haven't received the message for a year or two. In my experience it has nothing to do with the true battery voltage. I think it is a bug in their code.

PS Given my work commute is 112 miles round trip I definitely was not short tripping it during any of those times.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
4y 8m on that battery. Could be coming to end of life. And with the colder weather, as well as short trips, I could see this popping up.
But who knows, after a few longer drives it may be just fine. Then again, maybe not.

· Moderstrator
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then again, maybe not.
I agree - maybe not. There have been telltale signs since the cold weather has encroached - passenger door touch to unlock not working and my kiddo's DVD player running from the rear 12V accessory socket started to turn off as soon as I turned off the ignition (it used to run through the power point time out period if we let it go). So, I'm gonna go get a new battery - I will try to use my FordPass rewards points at the dealership to cut costs a little bit.

Reactions: Scott91370

· Moderstrator
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yesterday (Wednesday)
Ordered new battery via parts.ford.com
Get 2 separate emails a short while later saying - you’re battery is in and you can pick it up today after 3:00 pm!
I was busy so decided to go get it Thursday…

Today (Thursday)
Go to my friendly Ford parts department with my old battery…
Guy processes my core refund but only after conversing with three - 3! - other parts professionals in person and one person on the phone. (I think the phone call was to his wife or GF because that was the only time he was happy and smiling). I was his first core refund to an online order. Ever. Lucky me.
I get my receipt for bringing in old battery, core refund to be processed by parts.ford.com to my credit card, and guy says “next!”.
I interject and ask “where is my new battery?”.

Guy looks at me blankly.
My stomach sinks. (Did I mention I just came from a dentist appointment?).
Guy says I thought you already have it, which is why you’re bringing the core back?
I acknowledge this is probably the typical scenario but not for me! I wanted to avoid 2 trips so brought old one in while picking up new.

Guy converses with three - 3! - other parts professionals, but forgoes calling wife / GF this time. He then goes to “the back” and eventually (after eating a snack and having a smoke or two) comes back to say….
“We are out of that battery.”

Intermission: yes, these events really do occur in my life.

I ask the guy - when will you have my battery, which my 2 emails say is here, actually here?

For the sake of civility, the ensuing discussion I had with the Guy and three - 3! - other parts professionals about “those are parts.ford.com communications, not Dealership communications” will be omitted here.

Guy says they’ll hot shot a battery and call me later today once it arrives…

Lo and behold, Guy calls me at 2:30 to say battery is there.
After a couple of work calls I head there, pick up the right, new battery and as I turn to leave the Guy says - nothing!
I reply in kind.
New battery is installed.
It will sit 8 hours or more uninterrupted and I hope I don’t have to reset my radio and SiriusXM presets.

· Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
15,239 Posts
Amazing world class customer service!

Seriously, before putting it in the truck if possible. Let a smart charger set as low as you have time for, to take that battery all the way through a charging cycle. I think they call it something like wetting it down.

Supposedly the best preparation for the longest life.

· Registered
234 Posts
It will sit 8 hours or more uninterrupted and I hope I don’t have to reset my radio and SiriusXM presets.
Just replaced my battery today (4 yrs, 9 months) and happily it held everything saved in the Sync 3 unit. Took 4 attempts in yesterday's Manitoba cold to start it. Pretty sure it was due a long time ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts