F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 SC EB with factory remote start. When it gets real cold the remote start does not work. It simply makes a click, lights flash and won't start. When I start manually it starts and runs no problem. This happens with both remotes and has no problem starting running when weather is warm. Also seems to be fine when running and letting warm up and restarting after a short trip.

This kind of defeats the purpose of having a remote start for the cold mornings. Could it be the battery is not getting enough juice because it is cold? Maybe a battery warmer?

I use the block heater as well and know this is good for the cold mornings when starting, but should not have a impact on the remote start. At least I think anyway....and does not make a difference if I use the block heater overnight.

Truck only has 16k on it and does not seem normal and thought to ask here before taking to dealer and having them tell me nothing is wrong and this is normal.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would say there is definitely something wrong in your situation. My truck has started everytime I used the remote start.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have a 13 sc eb 4x4 and have had the same exact problem was messing with it sunday when i cleaned it and the lights would flash and no start i have noticed this for months and plan on taking it to the dealer as soon as i get time

·
Registered
271 Posts
haven't had a problem with mine.. including starting with the remote in -35C weather...

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Here comes another "who has done what in the coldest climate" pissing match.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not "cold" by any means here in comparison to other places I have lived, but I just had the same issue with remote start not working. The air temp right now is 48F which leads me to ask could it be some other factor than temp?

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
I wish I had the remote start

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390371828.367548.jpg

Sent from my space grey 5S using an aPP called Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Could it be an issue with the good pressure switch getting stuck? It also will not work if a CEL is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
112 Posts
that is the exact model of key remote that i have and i have noticed the problem before the cold weather set in but i think i didn't pat it no mind till i went to use it more consistantly since the weather has got cold, a buddy of mine at work has a 13 eco xlt and starts his from inside the shop and his key has a light on it that blinks periodically to let him know the truck is running, possibly maybe it is the key huh

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Do you have the one or two-way? The one way (I think that's the 100 series) is only a one way. The key above is the same I have. It's only one way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 13' has that same problem but it is intermittent.
I have experienced the same problem since early January 2014 on my 2013 F150. I live in central illinois and we have had an unusually cold winter but regardless I expect remote start to operate when cold. I took it to the dealer and they found no issue of course. They changed the remote battery out of lack of better ideas on what the problem was. The next day I had the same issue when leaving work. It was around 15-20 degrees F outside and it wouldn't start. I called Ford customer support and they didn't acknowledge any issue and referred me back to the dealer. I have an appointment this Friday to bring it in but have very little hope they will find anything.

This seems more than just a rare occurrence but rather a system problem that FORD has. Anyone else have any luck in getting to the bottom of this?

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
My question is, when you hit the lock button twice then the start button, does the parking lights flash twice? If so and the truck doesn't start, does it honk? After reading in the manual for a while, It said there is a problem if the truck honks and it will not start the truck.

With that being said, the manual also says the range is better for the remote start than the lock/unlock feature. Well that doesn't make much sense when you have to hit the lock button first. I work on the 10th floor of a building in Downtown Omaha and park Caddy Corner on the roof of a parking garage that is 8 stories high. acting like a chimp jumping around trying to get the lock feature to work and nothing. Kind of a let down. I also wish that these remotes WERE two way so you would know if your truck was started from the comfort of the restaurant rather than having to get up and check for yourself

·
Registered
3 Posts
My question is, when you hit the lock button twice then the start button, does the parking lights flash twice? If so and the truck doesn't start, does it honk? After reading in the manual for a while, It said there is a problem if the truck honks and it will not start the truck.

With that being said, the manual also says the range is better for the remote start than the lock/unlock feature. Well that doesn't make much sense when you have to hit the lock button first. I work on the 10th floor of a building in Downtown Omaha and park Caddy Corner on the roof of a parking garage that is 8 stories high. acting like a chimp jumping around trying to get the lock feature to work and nothing. Kind of a let down. I also wish that these remotes WERE two way so you would know if your truck was started from the comfort of the restaurant rather than having to get up and check for yourself

Agreed. Although I can't say for certain it does this every time...many times the horn doesn't honk but the lights flash once after hitting lock twice and pressing the remote start button. It's a bit frustrating that no diagnostics are logged to help the dealer/technician troubleshoot. Perhaps there are and my dealership is not capable of figuring it out...have not been real impressed with the service department thus far.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think the first thing to check is that your hood is completely shut and the hood handle is all the way back in. I am not sure where the hood sensor is, but the system is supposed to NOT allow the vehicle to start with the hood open. About the only other thing you might be able to do is check all of the connections. If you do something else that they find, you might get into a warranty issue. Beyond that, the best bet is making the dealer try it until it happens again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts