F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the headlight lens and painted the chrome body color or black etc...?

I am also considering lightly smoking the tails as well.

Damn chrome XLT package on my silver truck

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have done both.
The headlamps were a royal pain in the arse but they look like factory now.
I did the tails with nightshades and went darker around the edges, I think i'm going to do one more coat.
If you do your own tails, look up the correct way to do night shades, with clearcoat, wet sanding and polish.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I'll be pulling apart my heads once I get back, and I'll do a write up on it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'll be pulling apart my heads once I get back, and I'll do a write up on it.
Your arms are gonna hurt lol.
Mine were killing me afterwards from the amount of pulling required, even after heating several times.
O don't forget the torx screw in the back or you will break the inner signal light chrome, been there done that.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Your arms are gonna hurt lol.
Mine were killing me afterwards from the amount of pulling required, even after heating several times.
O don't forget the torx screw in the back or you will break the inner signal light chrome, been there done that.
I have the OEM HID's, I'm changing out the projectors to the EVOx-r's from Hella. Should make a huge difference when I pair them with 55w bulbs and ballast.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Let me know how that turns out and please take pics along the way.
I'll borrow the dlr and get some high quality before/after output pics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll press my luck with my stock ones first. If all else fails I can find the FX4 style front and rear for $350/set.

Has anyone/is there a kit to turn the base headlights into projectors?

Does anyone have some pics of their own work? I have seen the work the pros do, just wondering about the non pros results

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Look at projectoretrofits.com and the retro source.

I have the OEM projectors and HID's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a pretty cool kit. I have been seeing all the stock HID stuff pop up for about 1200 which is a hard pill to swallow

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Having a set retrofitted isn't bad, but it's not an easy DIY project. If mine weren't bolt on, I wouldn't be doing it myself.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im an electrician so its not too far out of my realm of skills. I think Ill attempt to black the insides of my stock housings out for now tho.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Electronic/PLC tech here, it seems to me that the hardest part would be mounting the projector securely and straight. Everything else is just dress up.

I've never actually attempted it yet though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Electronic/PLC tech here, it seems to me that the hardest part would be mounting the projector securely and straight. Everything else is just dress up.

I've never actually attempted it yet though.
The straightness thing is what i was worried about.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
The straightness thing is what i was worried about.
You and I both...

There are some really good how to vids on youtube, but this kit is supposed to have the same bolt pattern as the factory projectors.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I just heard back for tuxedoblack11, he now has the upgrade kits back in stock and ready to ship.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts