F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stone just the right size get lodged in between the rotor and shield on the back side and making a hell of a racket. Tried all the tricks I know to persuade it out but was resigned to taking it apart.

I managed to get it out by removing the calliper and coaxing it with a long narrow screwdriver. I was just wondering how to remove the rotors. I haven't done too many brake jobs but when I have the rotors are simply retained by the wheel or some have small screws to attach to the hub.

I assume there is a nut behind the aluminum center cap on the rotor. How does one get that off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hit the hat with a hammer or the rotor has a jake screw hole in the hat that you can put a screw/bolt in and tighten it. That will force the rotor off. I suggest the second cause it will not bang up your rotor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dont hit the actual surface where the pads sit, hit between the studs. Or get a deadblow hammer(softface rubber) and hit the backside of the rotor. The aluminum center cap is hiding the nut for the axle.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Also, be careful using a jack screw to pop it off, I've stripped them in the past.
A little bit if tension, then pop the rotor hat with the whammer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, seems fairly straight forward.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I also like to use rubber mallets. I recently swapped off my mounted snow tires for my mounted summer tires and had one F of a time getting my back wheels off. (And the dealership claimed they rotated my snow tires just a week before when I took it in for service ... Funny, the snow tires had the SAME markings from the tire store that installed the snow tires in the first place ... just goes to show you CANNOT trust a Dealership).

I ended up having to heat the hub with a blow torch, and lots of WD40, before I could finally persuade the the tire/rim to come off ... and with a lot of persuasion from my largest rubber mallet.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
I also like to use rubber mallets. I recently swapped off my mounted snow tires for my mounted summer tires and had one F of a time getting my back wheels off. (And the dealership claimed they rotated my snow tires just a week before when I took it in for service ... Funny, the snow tires had the SAME markings from the tire store that installed the snow tires in the first place ... just goes to show you CANNOT trust a Dealership).

I ended up having to heat the hub with a blow torch, and lots of WD40, before I could finally persuade the the tire/rim to come off ... and with a lot of persuasion from my largest rubber mallet.

This is why you anti seize the hubs before you put the new wheels on.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
This is why you anti seize the hubs before you put the new wheels on.
Yes, the tire shop SHOULD have done that when they installed the new snow tires with new rims. Not impressed with the Dealership lying either.

Glad I was at home to remove them and I didn't breakdown on the highway with a flat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You should have a screw hole in the actual brake rotor. If so just find the correct sized bolt and start ratcheting it in until the thing pops.. It'll sound like something just broke when it breaks loose.

( I haven't verified this on my truck.. this is normal on all other cars I've worked on.. so i could be mistaken)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts