F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have a reoccurring issue I wanted to see if anyone else is having. About 2 months ago the rubber bushing holding my driveshaft center bearing blew causing a crazy rattle and 0 drivability. This center bearing is "non-serviceable" and I was told by a few places that the entire driveshaft assembly would have to be replaced. After doing some digging I did find a heavy machinery & driveline shop that had a "kit" that replaces the entire center assembly of the factory driveshaft with a serviceable/replaceable bearing. So I pulled the driveshaft, brought it to that shop to have the kit installed then put it back in the truck. 3 days later... boom, it happened again. I called the shop, the part is warrantied, the guy said it must have been a defective bearing after asking me some questions about the installation. Brought it back for a new bearing, put it back in the truck (very carefully, couldn't see any issues) Then yesterday (about 1.5-2 months after the original failure, the bushing blew again. So today I had it towed to an actual auto shop, they could not find anything out of place or any underlying issue, they slapped a new bearing in there and sent me on my way, I don't have a lot of faith that it wont happen again. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
728 Posts
It is not exactly rocket science. The bearing is improper, improperly installed, or the rotating assembly is out of balance for some reason. You may need a drive shaft repair service spin balance to see if it is out. If that checks then you may need to check for a shaft or flange it connects to getting it off balance. Phasing can be affected with lifts or lowering kits resulting in incorrect pinion angles as well. You average parts swapper at Midas or low level Ford tech aren't usually your friends in this situation.

As as someone who has spent nearly 30 years actually working on vehicles I can tell in my experience bearings seldom just fail for no reason.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Ryjonsey91, don't you have a 2011?
The 11's and 12's experienced some driveshaft issues and ended up needing to be replaced. As Jsrunnlus said, it's highly unlikely that such a mechanically simple part as a bearing, is the culprit. It could be that your driveshaft is warped or bent and causing undue stress on the bearing. Have you been noticing any slight vibration recently?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Is the truck stock or do you have a leveling kit and or helper springs etc?
Had helper springs on my 04 Titan, and continuously had bearing issues. The angel of the rear end was putting added stress on the drive shaft.
Of course the Titans had shi* rear ends to start with.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lift or leveling/lowering kit. The shaft has been spun and checked for balance, everything is balanced and to spec on the drive shaft. It was in the shop yesterday and they said they couldn't find any reason (suspension or driveline wise) that would be causing the bearing to repeatedly fail. I know this is not rocket science and there is some sort of underlying cause (that the driveline shop, and the auto shop cant pinpoint) im running out of ideas how to figure out what that is

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Almost seems like the rear end might be dog tracking....slightly out of square with the drive shaft? How are your rear tires wearing?
Man I feel for ya. My 04 Titan drove me crazy on munching pinion seals.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I know someone who had their bearing die on older model...took it to a shop and they cut the shafts and made it right with better stuff.

Maybe see if you have any qualified driveshaft services in your area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts