F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2011 f150, which only came with one key. I had a locksmith cut and program another key to start the truck (plain key, no remote on the head). I then ordered another key with the remote on it, had it cut, and have gone through all the programming instructions I can find online. I've tried the "turn it on for 3 seconds, then off. On with the other key for 3 seconds, then off. Then on with the new key for 6 seconds." Didn't work. Tried with the door open and door closed. Then went through the turning on and off 8x trick, no luck. Will I have to take it to a dealer or locksmith? Is it because I may not have the master key? Any help, links or suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
In order to program a new key, you require two already programmed keys. To program a third key, you first put a programmed key into the ignition, turn it to on, then you can turn it back, and remove it. Repeat with the second already programmed key. Then with the new third, and un-programmed key, you can then put it in the ignition, turn it to on, then forward to start, and it should program that new key. Ford has always used this process.

the process for programming the remote access buttons is when you turn the key forward to "on" 8 times until the door locks cycle, at that point you push one of the buttons on the first remote, and it will sync with the vehicle, you then use the second remote to do the same thing.

you will need to have a dealership program your new key since you only have one original key

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The second key is programmed and will start the truck. Because it's not an original key, I can't program another key myself?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
yes, you should be able to with that method, its always worked on ford vehicles before, unless they changed it

·
Registered
1 Posts
In order to program a new key, you require two already programmed keys. To program a third key, you first put a programmed key into the ignition, turn it to on, then you can turn it back, and remove it. Repeat with the second already programmed key. Then with the new third, and un-programmed key, you can then put it in the ignition, turn it to on, then forward to start, and it should program that new key. Ford has always used this process.

the process for programming the remote access buttons is when you turn the key forward to "on" 8 times until the door locks cycle, at that point you push one of the buttons on the first remote, and it will sync with the vehicle, you then use the second remote to do the same thing.

you will need to have a dealership program your new key since you only have one original key
Well you can go for both Locksmith and the dealer depending upon your budget. Also if you don't wanna go there then below mentioned procedure will help you to program it by own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you go with an aftermarket key? I had the same issue and it turns out that the chip in the remote wasn't strong enough. Took it to the locksmith and he replaced it with an oem chip and reprogrammed it. Start immediately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Like the other posters have said. If you have 2 working keys you do not need to waste your money with the dealer to program a third or fourth key. On my 17 the instructions are actually in the owners manual, yet the dealer will gladly take your money

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was able to buy a key from fair way Ford on eBay then believe it or not Lowe's cut the key for free and it works great as a 3rs key!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i just commented in a thread on this. You need two admin keys to program additional keys.

IF you don't, you have to go to dealer. Dealers will cut key for you for free, depending i guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts