F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried Silver Stars, and am currently running 9w Cree projectors, and they're very bright, but don't have and bulbs shining on the reflectors so it's like 2 flashlights with no ambient light. I've seen ones like what I have, which also have bulbs going around the housing to shine on the reflectors, anyone using these? Let me know what you're running and pictures would be great if possible.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have some 6k Phillips that I got from a local Pep Boys. They are more expensive than most on superbright, but worth it IMO.

image-3657612425.jpg

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
There are other threads on this if you search the forum. They seem bright because of the color temp (looking into the light) but from the drivers seat backing up at night they suck. I know this, I've tried several...finally put some off road lights in my rear bumper.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396315394.618051.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396315454.178546.jpg

Sent from my HAL9000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do these light up considerably better? Are they halogen? Part number?

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Our reverse buckets are too small to really get any noticeable light out of. I went with the Recons, but I was disappointed severely. I ended up adding flush mount Rigids in my rear bumper, and Vol soon followed suit with some Kc's... ;P

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0960.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg

I'm running Rigid Dually floods w/ the Starkey wiring harness (highly recommend the harness).

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Reverse showoff! ;0) ... I will try to find the link to that other thread guys, and also the part number for the LED bulbs. But I think Pinero and I both learned the hard (expensive) way that the reverse and fog LED "upgrades" are for looks and not function. The best ones may be a whiter color, but are still about 30% less useable light than a good halogen.

And for the record...my bumper lights are Putco ;0)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1396354183022.jpg

The best I found. 20 bucks on amazon. I don't have to ride the brakes, these led lights work great for review camera.

Faster then Ecofx86! Lets see what he brings to the street. ...

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
View attachment 10444

The best I found. 20 bucks on amazon. I don't have to ride the brakes, these led lights work great for review camera.

Output pics bro...all of em look like that looking straight into em. Take a pic from your drivers seat into your side mirror...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Output pics bro...all of em look like that looking straight into em. Take a pic from your drivers seat into your side mirror...

Okay I can do that. I see what your saying. I was looking at them. Sorry I'm not a pro when it comes to pics...

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Here's a thread on the fog light deal, and there are about a half dozen on reverse lights:

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/18-f150-ecoboost-appearance/285-fog-lights.html

On reverse lights, maybe it would be different if I had a backup camera, but I doubt it, because other guys WITH backup cameras have said the same thing. There's more than one reason that the OE's use halogen bulbs in fogs and reverse lights. Sure, it saves cost, but there simply isn't a viable option for useable light output (lux) right now that is much "whiter" in color than the factory halogens. You can go a little bit higher color temp on a halogen, but in my experience once you get much above 3200-3400K, even on a halogen, the "whiter" you get, the more lux you lose. There are 3800K, 4000K and 4400K halogen bulbs, and most LED's are in the 5000-6000K(ish) range. That's why they all look so whoop-a$$ in cell phone pics, or when you're looking right into them. But make no mistake, it's an APPEARANCE "upgrade".

The best results I got from a reverse LED bulb is the Putco "Plasma" - which basically matches the style and technology of their Optic 360 fog light bulb. Pretty good, but still not as much useable light looking in to the side mirrors on my truck. Same with the fogs....much "brighter looking" in a picture or staring at the front of the truck, but about 30% less lux at 10 meters than the 3200K halogen bulbs.

And I have some foglight bulbs for sale if anyone is interested. I upgraded mine to "off-road" LED.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts

No worries....Not baggin' on anyone, like I said, I learned this the hard (expensive) way myself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
No worries....Not baggin' on anyone, like I said, I learned this the hard (expensive) way myself. :rolleyes:
Honestly the leds I have are far better then stock. I couldn't see backing up without riding the brakes, now I can see without doing that. It actually throws a lot of usable light out about 25ft I can see through the cam.... before it wasn't nearly like that.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Honestly the leds I have are far better then stock. I couldn't see backing up without riding the brakes, now I can see without doing that. It actually throws a lot of usable light out about 25ft I can see through the cam.... before it wasn't nearly like that.

Yeah it may be a backup camera deal (which I don't have) because the camera is located close to the same plane as the bulbs. I could imagine where having a "whiter" bulb might work better. But try using your mirrors instead of your backup camera monitor. I bet you'll notice a major difference. :cool:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
You can find LEDs with a projector on the end. I was able to find a set through my usual place (AK LED Industries). They have two LEDs on each side and one firing out the projector. I can see the ground about ten feet back with the shadows front the projector lens.

When I get home, I'll try and get some good pics. Currently in TX and had a one way ticket down here to work, so I don't have a timeline.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You can find LEDs with a projector on the end. I was able to find a set through my usual place (AK LED Industries). They have two LEDs on each side and one firing out the projector. I can see the ground about ten feet back with the shadows front the projector lens.

When I get home, I'll try and get some good pics. Currently in TX and had a one way ticket down here to work, so I don't have a timeline.

Do they look anything like THESE? :p
2014-01-30 15.19.44.jpg

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Probably like these
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1200550142.html

2011 lariat crew 5.5 bed Leveled, machined rockstars , grabbers, weather tech mudflaps , sub mod, tailgate assist
Very similar to these. A little different. Extremely bright. I can see white light in the back up camera.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I totally agree that Pinero has the best and most functional setup when it comes to reverse light output. I apologize for my recommendation, for they are more bright when I took the picture with my cell phone. As they aren't enough, they did give me a slight edge over the stock bulbs. I just wasn't looking to cut into my bumper or spend a bunch of $$$. I would take the advice of the more experienced guys on here. I'm fairly new.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts