F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on google and this website but nothing helpful was provided. Has anyone removed the resonator and installed a straight thru pipe into the stock muffler? I do not want increased noise, just increased airflow. Please anyone provide insight! I will not be installing an exhaust as I prefer the quiet on these trucks....

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
FWIW, that would be considered Illegal in the State of Texas. Would it be enforced, most likely not. However, any exhaust modification that reduces or changes the backflow pressure of a certified new vehicle would be considered tampering with the emissions..a big No NO!!

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the resonator doesn't affect emissions? I know removing muffler or cats would but not the resonator?

·
Registered
537 Posts
The way it is worded is that if it increased exhaust flow it would not be in compliance with the certified emissions and there for could be considered as tampering. I know it is a far stretch, but in theory this would also make it illegal to do a cat back dual exhaust for the purpose of a more free flowing exhaust.

Someone had posted in another post that in the owners manual it states that an aftermarket exhaust or intake could result in denial of warranty. It could be emission laws like this that give them that power to do so, since emission alterations are a violation of law.

Tampering of Vehicle Emission Controls ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i put a cherry bomb glass pack on my 2011 3.7l f150 and the inspector never said i thing to me

·
Registered
537 Posts
Like I said, it would be a far stretch to get gigged on this, and with many laws and regulations open to interpretation. However, on face value of wording it is what it is.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What is the "Cherry Bomb Glass Pack?

·
Registered
868 Posts
why would anyone put a cherry bomb on their eco ?
is a better question.
cherry bomb is a brand name for mufflers and exhaust stuff
their motto is disturbing the peace since 1968 if that is enough explanation.

i cant even imagine the crackling cackle and cabin drone you would endore with a 6cyl and variable cam timing

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dumped the resonator here in Hawaii. Straight pipe to the stock muffler. Sound level very slightly better. Haven't seen any difference in the performance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My own add on. When I was racing in high school, we used the Cherry bomb as a muffler and as a resonator. As i understand it, the resonator only helps to deaden the sound level..a muffler deadens the sound and provides the engine the back presuure for operation. I have run the Cherry Bomb by itself and as a resonator with Turbo muffler. Don't know the statutes of your area as to reconstruction vehicle requirements.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I pulled my stock resonator today and replaced it with a straight pipe from ford. No noticeable change in volume thus far. Haven't taken it on the highway yet so I can't comment on drone. I will know for sure tomorrow on my way to work.
The stock resonator has not restriction, meaning you can see straight through it. it does however open up in to a large chamber with baffling.

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Thanks !!! ^^^^^^ keep us posted

No estoy baneado

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I pulled my stock resonator today and replaced it with a straight pipe from ford. No noticeable change in volume thus far. Haven't taken it on the highway yet so I can't comment on drone. I will know for sure tomorrow on my way to work.
The stock resonator has not restriction, meaning you can see straight through it. it does however open up in to a large chamber with baffling.
Me too! Well I have the Corsa 3" and res delete and I can tell you it sounds like crap above 2500 rpms. Exactly like a civic with a glass pack. Raspy cackle comes to mind. Idle is wicked though. I'll give it a week and then make a decision. Idle is so sick...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike, add an aero muffler before your corsa muffler (where resonator was). You'll fall in love with it, trust me. I believe it's an Aero 3030 maybe? It eliminates rasp.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mike, add an aero muffler before your corsa muffler (where resonator was). You'll fall in love with it, trust me. I believe it's an Aero 3030 maybe? It eliminates rasp.
Any videos of this set up? I'm interested esp since the aero mufflers are pretty cheap.

I didn't think my truck sounded raspy with the db and res delete, but I may be wrong. I don't have the worlds greatest hearing.

Does adding the aero cut down on the overall sound output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I deleted mine and added a flow master 40 series and love it. Sounds great and throttle response is insane. Resonator is only for sound deadening not emmissons. At least here in Colorado it is not needed for testing as it has nothing to do with what comes out the tail pipe except dbs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
I pulled my resonator and added pipe from ford. No difference until about 3k RPM and then it's a subtle difference but no doubt louder. To be honest this is the way it should come from the factory not sure why its even there. If you want a small increase in performance without the noise this is the way to go. Don't seem to lose low end torque like I experienced with the AFE 4 inch system that was long gone after a month. Horrible loud. It does feel a bit more responsive like the turbos spool a bit quicker. For 80 bucks and 10 minutes to change its worth a try.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Thanks Kc311! I know I have seen a sound clip of this somewhere, but I can't find it now and it was only at idle. Most of them sound awesome at idle... There is the 3030 and the 3030XL. Aero Turbine Mufflers & Exhaust | Aero Turbine XL Muffler
I wonder which one is the best for our setup and would it be a direct bolt on replacement [long shot] or would I have to hack my new res delete pipe to salvage the flange to bolt up to the down pipe? I guess I could take the flange off the stock resonator, but I'd like to keep all the stock parts in tact in case I need to trade her in on a new one.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts