F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DYNO-2017-04-14A.jpg

Here are the results of both stock & tune (with minor bolt-ons) with Torrie's tune. Done on a Mustang Dyno, which tend to be more conservative than a Dynojet, so I am very happy with the numbers. Unfortunately I had to "crop it" to make it fit.

The results are stock (speed limiter removed) & tuned by Torrie with the following mods (Banks Cold Air, Wagner CAC, Full Race catted Down Pipes & Custom 3" exhaust). All runs were done if 4th gear.

Torrie's tune has a ton of low end torque and makes max HP at a lower rpm ... which is what I wanted from Torrie. It is my favorite daily driver tune, and I think it would work as a trailer tune too. The gas I ran is not very good and the shop said I would get more power if I drove into Washington State and ran their 91 with Ethanol.

Stock (dotted line) 310RWHP @ 4900rpm & 392RWTQ @ 3000rpm
Tuned (solid line) 372RWHP @ 4900rpm & 577RWTQ @ 2500rpm

The shop (RG Racing in Port Coquitlam, BC) was quite surprised on the numbers.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I'm guessing hard launches will test your transmission.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That kind of torque down low scares me. I hope my tune from torrie doesn't spike like that.
Depends how you use it. I don't do any hard 4WD launchs nor go to the track (because there aren't any where I live).

But I do pull things occasionally, and that torque down low is great for normal street driving. It is what makes if fun to drive.

Reactions: Lizardking419

·
Registered
823 Posts
392 stock tq is a pretty high reading even with your bolt ons, but even if we think the dyno is reading "high" on TQ down low, subtract 30 from stock (say 360 is reasonable baseline you'd expect) and then do the same for the tuned version - 547 is still pretty much turned up to 11 at 2500rpm!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From my various discussions with other people, the Mustang Dyno (which I was on) tends to read lower than DynoJet. I did the runs in 4th gears (Torrie removed the speed limiter in a version of the stock tune so it was comparable).

If I wasn't looking at installing the GT Turbos & ported manifolds later this year, I would discuss with Torrie about tweaking this tune further. But, of all the tunes I have tried (and I've tried a lot), this is my favorite tune.

The main reason I had my truck dyno'd was to monitor the changes when I do install my GT Turbos. Now I have a benchmark and can compare what "Turbos" with the stock tune and bolt-ons really add to the base run I did. Then I can get it tuned and dialed in by Torrie doing some 0-xxx runs. Then when I think we are close, I will do dyno run and have Torrie tweak it for me ... to make sure I don't get TOO greedy and break something.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Those numbers are a lot better then the advertised numbers from 5*, I wonder how much is contributed to the down pipes.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I ran the mods with the stock tune (speed limiter removed) and I estimate I am making about 30-40RWHP more than the typcial stock truck dyno run I've seen with all my mods ... the Downpipes probably account for 75-80% of the gains based on my "dyno butt" when I had them installed (I did the DPs last, about about a week after all the other mods). I definitely noticed the DPs the most of all the other mods. The Wagner CAC helped WOT in the 60-100MPH range btw.

BUT then the next question, with all the OTHER MODS, did it help get the most of the DPs? I say yes. I also believe ALL the mods work together and produce more power than they would individually. Even the Banks CAI that probably produces nothing all by itself on a bone stock engin.

Obviously the TQ curve is much flatter and broader than your typical stock (no mods) dyno run (even with the stock tune, the mods alone greatly improved driveability all by themself).

BUT ... if you consider that the Mustang Dyno I used typically produces 10% less than a DynaJet (something most vendors who do dyno runs use ... possibly because the DynaJet produces a higher rating). This would indicate I could make around 400+RWHP on a DynaJet dyno vs a Mustang. Subtract 30RWHP for DPs and it would probably produce around 360-370RWHP on a Dynajet without DPs.

BUT ... I can also tell you that with the mods AND Torrie's "re-tune" ... I got even more power. Initially, I had "just a tune" from Torrie, and there was a definite power increase (based on my 0-100mph runs) over my stock tune based on the improvement I saw from 0-100mph. I also tested a number of other Tunes and that is how I determined Torrie was one of the fastest tunes. (I would have to check my notes to see what the improvement was on Torrie's initial tune and stock parts from 0-100mph).

Later, when I did all my mods, and I got a 3-4/10th improvement with the mods and using Torrie's initial tune. Then Torrie did a re-tune for me, and I got a further 3-4/10th improvement again. I just recall those off the top of my head and would need to check my notes to verify the actual improvement.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should add, that I was re-reading an old post on another Forum when these trucks first came out, and people were trying to see who could get the best times based on tunes & mods.

Initially, Torrie was one of the first tuners to put out tunes that "kicked butt". But later, other tuners started putting out tunes and it seemed the people into "drag racing" started going for these "other tuners". I would say, it seems the people who typically drag race their truck use other tuners. And based on the tunes I tried, those other tuners DO put out some impressive WOT tunes.

BUT ... when I started considering the part-throttle portion (and how I drive 99% of the time), none compared to Torrie's tune in overall driveability. AND ... Torrie was willing to work with me to get me a tune I would love in Part-Throttle AND kill in WOT too.

I don't drag race my truck (other than my 0-100mph test runs to check how their perform and if the tune ... even Torrie's is better or worse). But I think the majority of Torrie's customers don't drag race their truck either. If they did, and would give the datalogs to Torrie, I have no doubt Torrie could create a killer WOT Tune (which it really is).

For the typical "daily driver" do you really care if your tune is the QUICKEST in the 1/4 mile? OR .... would you rather have a GREAT part-throttle tune that is probably within 2/10th of the fastest WOT tune (that has part-throttle driveabiltiy issues)?

I prefer the latter. BUT ... if I ever move closer to a place with a Drag Strip, I just might ask Torrie to work with me and get that extra 2/10ths.

Reactions: MAXXPAY

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I should add, that I was re-reading an old post on another Forum when these trucks first came out, and people were trying to see who could get the best times based on tunes & mods.

Initially, Torrie was one of the first tuners to put out tunes that "kicked butt". But later, other tuners started putting out tunes and it seemed the people into "drag racing" started going for these "other tuners". I would say, it seems the people who typically drag race their truck use other tuners. And based on the tunes I tried, those other tuners DO put out some impressive WOT tunes.

BUT ... when I started considering the part-throttle portion (and how I drive 99% of the time), none compared to Torrie's tune in overall driveability. AND ... Torrie was willing to work with me to get me a tune I would love in Part-Throttle AND kill in WOT too.

I don't drag race my truck (other than my 0-100mph test runs to check how their perform and if the tune ... even Torrie's is better or worse). But I think the majority of Torrie's customers don't drag race their truck either. If they did, and would give the datalogs to Torrie, I have no doubt Torrie could create a killer WOT Tune (which it really is).

For the typical "daily driver" do you really care if your tune is the QUICKEST in the 1/4 mile? OR .... would you rather have a GREAT part-throttle tune that is probably within 2/10th of the fastest WOT tune (that has part-throttle driveabiltiy issues)?

I prefer the latter. BUT ... if I ever move closer to a place with a Drag Strip, I just might ask Torrie to work with me and get that extra 2/10ths.
Thanks, now I have to email Torrie again, bc this is the same type of tune I've been trying to get out of him;) You apparently did a better job at explaining.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, now I have to email Torrie again, bc this is the same type of tune I've been trying to get out of him;) You apparently did a better job at explaining.
^^^ Yeah, that makes 2 of us, that seem to like what Reaper's tune sounds like. I've been too chicken to cross the plane.

Curious G.R., how long have you been running Tunes, and moreso Tunes with Torrie?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
^^^ Yeah, that makes 2 of us, that seem to like what Reaper's tune sounds like. I've been too chicken to cross the plane.

Curious G.R., how long have you been running Tunes, and moreso Tunes with Torrie?
Already got mine back, Torrie is the man! Now just need to get the downpipes and CAC installed and I'll really be in business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I first got tune about 9 months after I bought my truck. I bought it in the summer of 2013 and started trying tunes in the spring of 2014. I initially tried a number of MPT tunes. Some tunes were more performance oriented but had driveabilty issues on my truck. The other tunes had good driveabilty, but didn't have the same performance level.

I then tried LET. It had major driveability issues that made the tune unuseable for my truck in daily driving.

I then tried SSI. I had no problems dealing with Shawn and he did make a great performing tune. But, I also had a driveability issue that made it unuseable for "cruising on the highways with my cruise control set between 60-70 mph ... my most common spot driving. There were also other changes I wanted to my tune based on my driving preference.

So then I contacted Torrie and told him my experiences with other tuners and what I was looking for ... both in a tune AND a tuner too. Torrie delivered BOTH to me. Torrie's initial tune was closer to my expectations than all the other tuners. And Torrie's Tune was both powerful, fast AND gave me the daily driving experience I was looking for (some extra tip-in so my throttle feels alive, firmer shift and reduced the WOT shift points to 5,600 rpm ... which my actual dyno results confirm is the optimum place to upshift).

And, some of the changes were also after driving a period of time too. After a few initial tunes (based on datalogs), I then would drive for a few weeks, and then ask Torrie if he could modify the upshift/downshift firmness, modify the tip-in, and finally, after I installed all my mods over 2014, if he could do a re-tune for me in the the spring of 2015 (which he did).

And a year later, after driving, I asked if he could lower the rpm shift point from 5,800 to 5,600 rpm ... and he did ... and now the truck feels perfect.

What I didn't realize (until I saw the dyno graph) that Torrie's tune is not only a great performance tune, but I also think it is a good tow tune (upto 5,000 lbs). If I towed anything more, I would ask Torrie to see if he could increase the bottom end torque ... BUT, when you already have 544RW Lb/Ft of torque, I have never felt like I was suffering from "loss of low end torque". I will also say, the low-end torque makes it a GREAT daily street tune. At part-throttle, with the extra tip-in, I quickly have that low-end TQ available to me to move out quickly without having to drop the hammer. Reminds me of the Big Block cars of the 1960s that I use to drive in the early 1970s.

I would probably try using the Tow/Haul option on my tranny first if I ever had anything heavy to tow. Then I would ask Torrie if he could help me find the optimum shifting with a heavy load. I just don't have anything that heavy ... but I think this tune with my current options is a great starting point for a heavy tow tune.

To be honest, it is really making me reconsider my "next adventure" which is installing my ported manifolds, GT turbos and those ported adapters. The mods will definitely reduce the bottom end torque curve. More of a flat torque line around 500 lb/ft from 2,000 rpm to 5,000 rpm, and a much higher HP curve past 4,500 rpm.

The mods would make it fun to drive and really make it quick. But I can already say, that my truck is already a blast to drive and I have NO PROBLEMS passing big semi-trailers on our mountain roads (my main reason for wanting extra power). Right now, I am always looking for a reason to take a road trip somewhere - especially if the company is picking up the expense.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I ask what RG charged you for the dyno time?
$100 plus taxes. It took around 1 hour and that was their hourly rate. They did a couple "setup runs" then they did 3 Stock runs and 3 Tuned runs (retuning took 10 minutes). Originally they quoted by the "run" (3 for $100). I told them exactly what I wanted done and I was willing to give them $150. But, they only charged me $100 as we were able to get it done in 1 hour. I believe the graphs are the "best" ... but my truck was very consistent and within a couple of HP each run.

If you plan to go to them (nice guys btw), mention that you were referred by "Glenn" who dyno'd his red Ford F150, and he highly recommended them. They only had a couple of F150s over the last few years, so they should remember me. Tell them there are a number of F150 guys in the Lower Mainland that are looking for a good place to dyno their trucks, and RG was recommended. They will likely give you a deal like mine, and if we could organize a "group" day, we might be able to get a better price for a whole day.

It would be nice to compare a few more trucks on the same dyno.

Reactions: crankinaway

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
I plan on booking mine in at RG Racing the second or third week of May to get my Baselines. My truck is currently 100% stock other than a tune performance wise.

I'm very curious to see how my numbers compare to Grimm's both stock and tuned on the same Dyno.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I plan on booking mine in at RG Racing the second or third week of May to get my Baselines. My truck is currently 100% stock other than a tune performance wise.

I'm very curious to see how my numbers compare to Grimm's both stock and tuned on the same Dyno.
Are you going to get a "special" stock tune that only removes the speed limiter so you can do your stock run in 4th gear? (That is what I did to get my "stock" run).

If it is near the Victoria Day weekend, I might try and make it down to watch (and then have a beer & burger to chat about). Also, you may want to try using the same fuel? I use Chevron 94 (in spite many say it doesn't behave like 94 Octane should ... not for turbo vehicles anyway). Some time in the future, I would like to compare dyno results using different fuels.

I'm REALLY getting the itch to get my GT Turbos & ported Manifolds installed too. Just wish the "wife situation" was resolved (one way or the other), so I could move on.

Reactions: MAXXPAY

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Are you going to get a "special" stock tune that only removes the speed limiter so you can do your stock run in 4th gear? (That is what I did to get my "stock" run).

If it is near the Victoria Day weekend, I might try and make it down to watch (and then have a beer & burger to chat about). Also, you may want to try using the same fuel? I use Chevron 94 (in spite many say it doesn't behave like 94 Octane should ... not for turbo vehicles anyway). Some time in the future, I would like to compare dyno results using different fuels.

I'm REALLY getting the itch to get my GT Turbos & ported Manifolds installed too. Just wish the "wife situation" was resolved (one way or the other), so I could move on.
We are in the same boat . At the end of the day, you still have your truck and the dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts