F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm likely to buy my 1st tuner and skip the whole throttle controller, sprint booster craze.

I have a 2015 3.5l it 6speed auto XLT supercab 4x4 on 35s, lifted, afe pro intake(twin filter), mbrp 3"exhaust(res delete). My throttle response sucks and truck constantly runs in 3rd gear, I run sport mode alot do to it.

Question?

What is the best canned tune?
Prob going with and SCT device and I see that they come with many different canned tunes from different companies depending where I buy the tuner.

I run 87 most of the time but once a month I like to fill up with 91 or 93(when I got $1 off at get go or shop n save, yes I'm in Pittsburgh, PA), so anyway what company has the best canned tune or if I buy a device that comes with 3custom tunes who would you reccomend I get tunes from? I wanna notice and feel better throttle response, torque in low end, and shift pattern do to it constantly jumping in 3rd.

Who provides the most tq, hp, throttle response and boost canned tune wise for 87 octane?

Same Question for 91 or 93?

Who lays down the best custom tune for 87oct and 91 or 93 that will address my needs above?

You tube wise I'm seeing some 87 tunes dont provide much hp n tq, most gains are coming from 93 octane.

I run 87 octane mostly so I guess I'm looking for someone or a company that can provide me with the best canned tunes and or custom tunes for 87oct, when I do switch to 93 most companies seem to provide very noticeable gains so my focus is on that 87oct and being able to feel the tq, TR and shifting gains...

Appreciate any and all advice, kinda of a newbie to the turbo scene but motor sports Ben a hobby since I was 5, n I'm old now, lol.

I'm seeing numbers all over the place and I like to hear real world exp and feel of who has the best canned and custom tunes for 87oct both and 91 or 93oct both. Tired of digging n digging for real world exp and seeing the same videos on you tube n websites mostly only talking n promoting their 93oct tunes.

Ty in advance for any n all the help n advice!!!馃殌馃挩馃挩馃挩

Best forum out...

Registered
What gears do you have? I don't feel like your truck should be needing 3rd, i barely use 3rd towing my 5500 lb travel trailer through the rocky mountains.

The tuner at SCT is Boostking on here and is an excellent tuner. SCT's canned tuned are probably pretty solid, but I have honestly never tried.

Each tuning company has its pros and cons. There is no one company that does everything the best. Its not that expensive to give a few a try, the major expense is really in the tuning device itself. And if you pay for custom tuning from one of the companies, they can tweak all of the crap you mentioned to your liking.

I too am wondering if you have a set of long legs under that truck, perhaps 3.15鈥檚? That combined with a set of 35鈥檚 would certainly result in some of what you are seeing. In fact, 35鈥檚 on there own probably lead to some of this.

Administrator
I second Boostking, but I also second trying whomever you read about that tickles your fancy.

Over the years I've used holiday tune sales to pick a tune up here and there from someone I was curious about trying at a greatly discounted cost. That way I'm not left wondering "what if".

A tune is the single biggest factor in how your vehicle is going to function for you and in so many ways. What they do for what they cost makes it miniscule.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what gears, definitely gonna dig into it tho now. It's a 2015 xlt sport, with sport mode tranny, 3.5l tt.

I also notice it really never stays in 2nd long at all unless I'm in sport mode on tranny. Goes from 1st to 3rd pretty much, riding around the city which is wear i live. It pretty much stays in 3rd or 4th cruising at 25-30mph in normal on shifter. Now sport mode isnt bad it holds 2nd n 3rd way longer. Has a ton of tq if I get on it at stop signs or lights n hitting the freeway. When I get this tuner gonna try a 87 per/row tune a 93 tune and a 87oct trans only tune which I'm hoping tightens up the shifts. Also it never downshifts into 2nd. It with hold 3rd coming to a stop n striaght into 1st as I stop. Shift wise, getting on it at stop sign pretty much right to 2nd, right into 3rd n by that time I gotta let off cause I ran a city block in a few seconds then goes from 3rd to 1st n if I try to get back on it, lag glory. Truck is a beast as is but I'd really like to tighten up the shifts n gain some serious torque with the tune for towing n playing around. On highway it pulls like a bull, several cases I had a few tuned up gm 6.6l's , several 5.9cummings 2500's n a 6.7 ford 250's with stacks, lifted, 35s and other mods as well as many gasers jump on me and this truck has no trouble catching them at all and once I pass them up they CANT catch up too me, off line same deal, once I gain a lead they cant catch me and I'm not even tuned just cai, exhaust and some 93 in the tank every now n again.
One young buck in particular was so mad one day I had him by atleast 8-10+ truck lengths he took his hat off n threw it out the window pissed off.
Was on a stretch of highway about 4miles with a light just alittle better then every 1/4mile. He tried several times even side by side at 30mph n romped it, I pulled on him right away n he couldn't catch up, this young buck in particular was in a 10 or 12 F250 king ranch diesel tuned up n modded.

Now I'm sure that he could drag me the 4mile stretch but as far as speed out the hole n from a rolling smash, couldn't touch this boosted 2015 3.5l.

Perfect match of power n weight for a truck, feels like a small SUV packed with a v8 the way it rides n pulls, LOVE IT, best truck I ever bought.

Time for a tune tho to help get rid of this lag in throttle, gain alittle more power n tq and then work on a intercooler, downpipe, adapter flanges and some other small things like granatelli or msd coils, throttle body n maybe even a fuel pump.

After a few more years get another and give it to my daughter or hang on to it for my son down the road.

Ty for the help, much appreciated 馃挩

Any other ideas or tips or help ghrosn my way be greatly appreciated

Registered
I highly recommend giving the sct canned tunes a try. Boostking is the calibrator for 15+ and those tunes are the best out of the box while being great DD tunes. BK knows his stuff. You get 87,91,93 tunes plus tow safe tunes.

Then if you鈥檙e wanting more power hit up one of the popular tuning companies we all run. Unleashed, Gearhead, 5*, MPT, etc.

Have you adjusted your Speedo for the larger tires? Shifts points are probably a bit off.

But I would start with a tune and go from there. Many people on this forum are more than happy with running just a tune. And then there鈥檚 some wanting more.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I highly recommend giving the sct canned tunes a try. Boostking is the calibrator for 15+ and those tunes are the best out of the box while being great DD tunes. BK knows his stuff. You get 87,91,93 tunes plus tow safe tunes.

Then if you鈥檙e wanting more power hit up one of the popular tuning companies we all run. Unleashed, Gearhead, 5*, MPT, etc.

Have you adjusted your Speedo for the larger tires? Shifts points are probably a bit off.

But I would start with a tune and go from there. Many people on this forum are more than happy with running just a tune. And then there鈥檚 some wanting more.

No I have not!!! I don't have a programmer to do so yet, income tax comes next week, then I will for sure, I thought myself that's what it was. Itz not calibrated for the larger tires that I did, now idk if previous owner did or not I bought it right off the lot with the 35s on it, lift, etc...Had super low miles when I bought it like 33,000 it's a 2015. Bought it July 2019.

Administrator
You haven't corrected the speedo, have you?

If not, I'm not surprised if your shift points are wacky. I believe the PCM uses input on speed for some of the shifting control.

I could be wrong, but I think speedo correction is important for trans operation.

Registered
3.31 gearing is doggy in itself, add 35 inch and heavy tires and it's easy to understand the throttle response.
I have a 2.7 tuned for responsiveness, 31.5 inch tall tires and a 3.73 gear. Still I use high gear lock out to stay about 2000 RPM in 3rd, at 30 MPH +-. As long as going with a tuner and tune switch to the highest octane found locally, this will add spark advance and response. KM

Registered
If you look at some of the fastest ecoboost times they have the higher gearing (3.15,3.31) but As mentioned that鈥檚 running OEM size tires, once you throw a bigger tires on there that changes everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member

Registered
You haven't corrected the speedo, have you?

If not, I'm not surprised if your shift points are wacky. I believe the PCM uses input on speed for some of the shifting control.

I could be wrong, but I think speedo correction is important for trans operation.

Shifting and TC lockup are controlled by speed and throttle position.

Administrator
So larger tires and no correction could cause the shifts to be wonky, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts