F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ripped Up and Rolled on Part 1

2018 F150 5.0, Stock Hankook Dynapro AT-m Tires at 38 Psi, Stock Platinum 20" wheels, 3.31 Gear.

Stock exhaust, stock intake.

Base Line Dyno Pulls with the Stock Tune Done in 5th gear.

93 Octane 348rwhp and 386rwtq

Whipple Super Charger Install April 2018

Inked2018 Ford F150 Base Runs-1_LI.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Better numbers than I thought for the 5.0

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
4,509 Posts
Good question. But for whatever reason, I'm leaning to a lower gear than 1:1 when the time comes.

Maybe it yields lower numbers? I don't know all the reasons. Regardless, I'm not keen on multiple runs at speeds that seem so un-truck like.
Not worried about the motor. More concerned with the rest of the drive train.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ya using any gear other than one that is 1:1, or as close to 1:1 as possible, will give different dyno results. It increases/ decreases the mechanical advantage the motor has to the wheels

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya using any gear other than one that is 1:1, or as close to 1:1 as possible, will give different dyno results. It increases/ decreases the mechanical advantage the motor has to the wheels

5th gear dynos lower numbers then 7th

·
Registered
509 Posts
5th gear dynos lower numbers then 7th
Really? I would have thought 5th would produce higher numbers because it's a lower gear.
I must admit tho I don't know much about dyno's

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Speed limiter is the reason. And lower gears read lower numbers. For better power figures you want the 1:1 ratio, but.... 7th gear at 6000 rpms is like 170 mph wheelspeed. Pretty sure it would chuck the driveshaft out the truck at that speed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can someone explain why a higher gear gives you higher number on a dyno. I don't get it. Wouldn't 4th gear let the motor turn the wheels easier than 5th because of the mechanical advantage of the ratio?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Can someone explain why a higher gear gives you higher number on a dyno. I don't get it. Wouldn't 4th gear let the motor turn the wheels easier than 5th because of the mechanical advantage of the ratio?

That's how I see it as well. More torque multiplication should yield higher numbers.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts

I imagine it might be like putting torque on a bolt. The less resistance the bolt offers the less torque u can apply. The more gear you have the easier it is to spin the drums and the less the engine can push against it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Boosted engines typically will show higher numbers in higher gears, not as significant with a n/a motor typically. At least that’s my experience on my personal dyno (mustang awd 500) which is load bearing, inertia dynos my be different however.

Reason mechanical advantage doesn’t really come into play is because part of the calculation on dyno is wheel speed acceleration vs rpm. The other part of the equation on my dyno come from the load cell attached to the eddy current brake. I dyno in lowest gear I can keep the wheels from spinning on the rollers but high enough to have good resolution in the data log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep. They easily earn the 20 hp higher rating over the 3.5TT now. Whereas before the power output was definitely in line with the 385 hp (possibly even was overrated)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I wanna see a 2018 5.0 with Garrett g series in a twin scroll setup. If someone makes a kit I will never look at another ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wanna see a 2018 5.0 with Garrett g series in a twin scroll setup. If someone makes a kit I will never look at another ecoboost.

Hellion can get you done

one nice thing about the coyote is, you can get tuned no matter what power adder or combo you go with.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts
About this Discussion
252 Replies
30 Participants
TX-Ripper
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing