F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ashamed to admit that, without doing sufficient research in advance, I recently bought a 2014 XLT with the 3.5 EcoBoost engine. Now that I have it, I'm getting the impression that this engine isn't exactly the pinnacle of Ford automotive engineering, to say the least. I've been experiencing engine shuddering under hard acceleration, an apparently well-known phenomenon that I'd have known about if I'd read up on the engine before buying the truck. I'm by no means a mechanic -- I change oil, tires, brake pads/fluid on my cars, but that's about it -- and I'm really dreading taking the truck to the Ford dealer to find out how much I'm going to get skinned for having them fix whatever combination of issues they decide are causing the problem: spark plugs, valve gunk, intercooler crud, sensors, the turbos themselves, etc. I've read all about catch cans and oil/air separators, but after dozens of forum threads and YouTube videos on which kind to install, or whether to install one at all, or whether to drill a hole in the intercooler, my brain is officially blown (pun intended). So here's my admittedly-ignorant question: Is it feasible to "de-turbo" the engine? I don't plan on towing any large boats or trailers, so I'm not convinced that the extra power from the turbos is worth dealing with what seem to be a whole lot of turbo-related issues. If that's not doable, maybe I should just replace the engine with a rebuilt normally-aspirated engine and call it a day.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You're not taking the turbos off the engine. Dont believe the hype. Go ahead and change out your spark plugs for starters. Drill the drain hole. There's plenty of reading on the site. The search bar is in the upper right corner.

Just do the maintenence, and you'll be fine. No need to reinvent the wheel with drastic, and almost impossible changes. You may as well get a new truck if you're willing to go that far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don’t worry yourself with all that stuff. Just swap the spark plugs. Easy to do yourself with the right flexible socket extension on amazon and some anti seize. Don’t try without at least both of those. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BVSA3S8. And keep doing these every 40k with the gap posted in the forum not the one in the manual.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've had the plugs out of my truck 6 or 7 times, never used any special tool. Regular long extension, 5/8 spark plug socket, and an 8mm socket for the coil. No anti seize either. Most plugs have a nickel coating on the plug and says not to put it on there. Only goop you'll need is the stuff you put in the coil boot before reassembly.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
This engine was actually and is the "pinaccle" of Ford engineering.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm no expert but have done my share of homework before and after buying my 2016 3.5.
Best advice was from a fellow Ecoboost owner on the job site. He said "at operating temperature GOOSE the throttle, and look at the tail pipe for carbon cloud to sputter out." He said something about carbon build up on the valves due to the turbos. Didn't make sense to me so I researched. The build up is from direct injection. It's apparently common for DI engines. Normal multiport injection or carbureted flows fuel over intake valve. DI for some reason places the injector in position after intake valve spraying right into cylinder. Therefore not "washing" intake valve with fuel. Google images!
Have to agree with an earlier response. This is Fords top motor and I love it. The 19s I read have a hybrid fuel injection. I assume sending some fuel over intake valve but mainly DI. Don't baby her let her breathe and if you see a hill give it some gas. Ford designed these motors to work! Goose it and shake that carbon loose

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you took the turbos off the truck, it would no longer be a truck. You'd be in volkswagon territory, and I'm not talking the super new volkswagons, but a 60's beetle. The truck would also likely throw a bunch of codes. Almost everything about this motor is monitored and adjusted by a sensor of some sort.

·
Administrator
9,511 Posts
Every bit of the programming in this seemingly complicated pcm is built around having boost. It would take a talented tuner to make it run I'd imagine, if it's even possible.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am right there with you. I bought my truck a few months back and after a couple weeks, issue after issue has occured. I changed out spark plugs and gapped them to .28 as suggested here on the forum and drilled the intercooler hole and the truck is about 90% better. I have new blow off valves to replace my leaking one and then I should be 99% complete after I figure out the service engine soon light. Do those 2 fixes (spark plugs weep hole) and you will be surprised how many issues it solves.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
They make a perfectly designed version of the un-turbo V6. Makes about 300HP and will run and run and run. (I love that package for just a people hauling F150)

Yes, it needs airbags to do this:

I'll NEVER sell this truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
That a regular 3.5L non turbo? Like the one my Taurus has? If so, yeah, good engine!

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
I think it was 3.7 in 2012?

But I bought this truck solely for chasing college football games during one of the kids college stints. I totally underestimated how much pleasure I was going to get out of it.

My first F150 ever.
I had driven Super Dutys my entire adult life.

The rest is history. F150's everywhere I look now. And my brothers recent conversion to a Max Payload 18 from his 7.3 has just about ended our family diesel Era as well.

·
Administrator
4,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
I showed up at the car wash in the Miata and the owner stepped outside and blocked me with his arms crossed. Keep in mind the MX-5 is a tiny little 2100lb gocart, so Alfredo towered above me as he looked down.

Me: Wazzup Alfredo? (pause) What?

Alfredo: Where's the Z? (I have a "vip account" at the car wash. A set monthly fee for as many visits as I desire. I don't take advantage of Alfredo, but he does have a hard time keeping up with what truck/van/car I might show up in)

Me: Ummm, it's in the barn. Under a cover. Why? (evel grin on my face)

Alfredo: So, you have two 2-seater convertible sports cars?

Me: Wellllll, yea. I guess I do.

Alfredo: So you're keeping them both?

Me: Why you ask? You want the Z?

Alfredo: (eyes wide) How much?

Me: I stole that sweet ride for 13. I'd like to recoup it. I'll throw in the custom made cover.

Alfredo: 13? WTH? What's wrong with it?

Me: Nothing that I could find. I'll go fetch it for you.

Later in the day I get a daughter to follow me over with the Z

Alfredo: (he sees me arrive and immediately comes out. I park it in HIS parking area behind the office) So, tell me again why you're selling it?

Me: I stare him down for a few seconds. Then say "I'm NOT selling it! YOU said you wanted it!

Alfredo hasn't let me have it back. It's been about 11 days. I think I only have 1 sports car now. I do regret paying the state of Texas taxes on it though. Lol

·
Administrator
9,511 Posts
They make a perfectly designed version of the un-turbo V6. Makes about 300HP and will run and run and run. (I love that package for just a people hauling F150)

Um, how many trucks do you have?!

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
I keep stuff, if possible. Especially if it's paid for.
So as I get old, I have a barn full of my life's accumulation.

I really despise recognizing depreciation. Lol
So I avoid it. I think it's dead wrong to take less than something is worth to me unless a loved one is the benefactor. I just can't do it.

Every once in awhile a son, daughter, nephew, niece asks for "a good deal". Those cars, trucks, motorcycles exchange hands.

At some point I'll be done. I am kind of curious what the kids will do instead. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had the plugs out of my truck 6 or 7 times, never used any special tool. Regular long extension, 5/8 spark plug socket, and an 8mm socket for the coil. No anti seize either. Most plugs have a nickel coating on the plug and says not to put it on there. Only goop you'll need is the stuff you put in the coil boot before reassembly.
The joint on this tool will help prevent cracking the plug ceramic on removal. Good to have if your not experienced enough or have to use a bad angle. Never heard about the plug coating not needing anti seize. Where did you read that?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

The NA V6’s are underrated. I had a Ram 1500 quad cab V6 in the Bay Area as a rental and it moved right along and got seriously good mileage. I did a write up on it in the competition section.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
23 Participants
waterbuffalo
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing