F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a slight cold start rough idle issue. It happens for around 30-60 seconds or so. I can resolve the immediately by blipping the throttle. Truck has around 1100 mike on it. I just started noticing the issue around 200 miles ago. Anyone having this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
897 Posts
I feel a little something about once a week. I always blame it on the heat out here, never really felt it before it got so hot. Mine also goes away as soon as I hit the throttle.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i notice my truck having a slightly rough idle when its cold and first comes down off of high idle but its not something i will worry about because it is still not up to temp to start reading the O2 sensors for fuel mix
when i say cold i mean in the mid to upper 40's because the truck has never seen anything less than that yet.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Happens every time since new here. I noticed the same on my last turbo vehicle, so I call it normal. I might be wrong, but I have 5y60k for it to get worse or it might be worth a mention next time I go in for an oil change.

SPPD

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'd say it's mostly normal. They do it worse at -20!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
A rough idle can be caused by (CAC) charge air cooler leaks. Also check that crankcase oil is not overfilled as a rough idle can result. Also check oil for fuel contamination of crankcase - possibly from leaking injector or high pressure fuel pump. There have been some issues with leaking injectors but will normally will show up as a misfire on Mode 6 Data.
TSB 12-2-10 3.5L GTDI calibration update - various issues- built on or before 2/7/12 usually will improve idle quality and other various issues but now has been superseded to 13-8-1.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A rough idle can be caused by (CAC) charge air cooler leaks. Also check that crankcase oil is not overfilled as a rough idle can result. Also check oil for fuel contamination of crankcase - possibly from leaking injector or high pressure fuel pump. There have been some issues with leaking injectors but will normally will show up as a misfire on Mode 6 Data.
TSB 12-2-10 3.5L GTDI calibration update - various issues- built on or before 2/7/12 usually will improve idle quality and other various issues but now has been superseded to 13-8-1.

Thanks for the info. My truck was built 4-1-13 so I assume the issue has been addressed.

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a slight cold start rough idle issue. It happens for around 30-60 seconds or so. I can resolve the immediately by blipping the throttle. Truck has around 1100 mike on it. I just started noticing the issue around 200 miles ago. Anyone having this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having this exact issue, I'm now at 1200 miles, are you still having this issue?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am having this exact issue, I'm now at 1200 miles, are you still having this issue?
Yes still having the issue even after taking my truck in for a PCM recall. It seems to be more prevalent on mornings that are more humid.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I notice this as well, namely on the first cold start in the morning, after the first few seconds of run time it seems to idle rough and make some odd noises, but it's pretty minor and always seems to go away after I let it idle for about a minute. I haven't had the truck in cold weather yet, been in the fiftys here at night since I've had it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys im new here, i have a 2012 eco-screw and love it, but it idles rough ... Pisses me iff, its been. Idling between 990-1000 rpms lately it used to idle at around 5 or 6... Please help... I replaced plugs twice all crafully gapped to .030, i always run 93 octane, livernois 91 octane tune, aem drop in airfilter, i have a nice oil separator on my pcv valve, so ya... Why is it idling soo rough?!?!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes still having the issue even after taking my truck in for a PCM recall. It seems to be more prevalent on mornings that are more humid.

The pcm needs to "re-learn" as I was told. I had mine reflashed early this week and it seems to be getting better. Also I'm slowly picking up mpg too. Was averaging 14.2mpg and as of yesterday 14.3mpg

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Thanks for the info. My truck was built 4-1-13 so I assume the issue has been addressed.

OUCH! An April Fool's Truck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuel mileage is better after recall and the PCM learning. Now if I can just resolve the crappy cold start idle!!!! Going to check plug gap this weekend.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This is typical on cold start in the ecoboost v6.... Its normal. My explorer sport ecoboost does the same thing... Wothin a minute it smooths out.... Normal

FWIW... Im a ford senior master technician and i dont worry about it one bit....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is typical on cold start in the ecoboost v6.... Its normal. My explorer sport ecoboost does the same thing... Wothin a minute it smooths out.... Normal

FWIW... Im a ford senior master technician and i dont worry about it one bit....
With all do respect, how can you say "it's normal". My trucks MSRP was over 50k. I expect a smooth idle to be the norm. I also assume that this would a non issue for a car company that has been building cars for over 100 years. I have stayed away from American cars markers for this reason for the last 15-20 years.

But then again the so called ford engineers can't even figure out how to fix a condensation/intercooler issue that I have never had in any of my other Jap turbo cars. Their fix is to block off 3/4 of the intercooler and de-tune our trucks. Might as well rip the damn intercooler out.

Rant over ;)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
With all do respect, how can you say "it's normal". My trucks MSRP was over 50k. I expect a smooth idle to be the norm. I also assume that this would a non issue for a car company that has been building cars for over 100 years. I have stayed away from American cars markers for this reason for the last 15-20 years.

But then again the so called ford engineers can't even figure out how to fix a condensation/intercooler issue that I have never had in any of my other Jap turbo cars. Their fix is to block off 3/4 of the intercooler and de-tune our trucks. Might as well rip the damn intercooler out.

Rant over ;)

I own an ecoboost equipped vehicle (explorer sport)...and i also drive multiple vehicles equipped with this engine each week....i can say that when starting them COLD, 9 out of 10 of them had a noticably rough idle...for a very short period.... when you can duplicate the same trait in multiple vehicles...especially when they are new...this can be considered NORMAL....typical operating characteristics, inherent to vehicles with this engine.

i really dont see what the big deal is...it doesnt affect the driveability of the truck...and its gone by the time your out of the driveway.....but if enough folks ***** about it...they will probably come up with a fix...most likely in reflash form....

how long ford has been making cars has nothing to do with it....theyve only been making turbo/DI v6 engines for 3 years.....not 100......

·
Registered
130 Posts
I own an ecoboost equipped vehicle (explorer sport)...and i also drive multiple vehicles equipped with this engine each week....i can say that when starting them COLD, 9 out of 10 of them had a noticably rough idle...for a very short period.... when you can duplicate the same trait in multiple vehicles...especially when they are new...this can be considered NORMAL....typical operating characteristics, inherent to vehicles with this engine.

i really dont see what the big deal is...it doesnt affect the driveability of the truck...and its gone by the time your out of the driveway.....but if enough folks ***** about it...they will probably come up with a fix...most likely in reflash form....

how long ford has been making cars has nothing to do with it....theyve only been making turbo/DI v6 engines for 3 years.....not 100......

but but but this is a 50k truck! lol.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I was told that the reason it idles rough upon start up is that there are multiple injections (prob the wrong term there) of gasoline on the compression stroke to "make sure" it starts. It had to do with introducing gas right at the flame front and into the fireball at the spark plug. I was told this happens at each start up reguardless of the temperature of the motor or outside. I recieved this information from the dealership after I complained about a big puff of black smoke that would occasionaly come out of the exhaust when I would start it in the summer after is was warmed up and I would shut it down and then restart within like 2 or 3 minutes. There was something that had to do with a dimple or recess in the piston that was supposed to funnel the air/fuel mixture as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Turbos and direct injection is not anything new. And ford has been using the tech longer than 3 years. Having a smooth idle on cold start ups is not asking for much. It's engineering 101, turbos and DI having nothing to do with it.

It's embarrassing to have people in your brand new truck, start it up and it starts idling rough. I guess I just have higher expectations. If 9 out of every ten ecoboost vehicles you drive have this issue.... then that should tell you something. There is a issue.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts