F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
TSB 13-12-15 seems close to the issue.
Never heard of this one. What's the fix?

And your right, that sounds exactly like his problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well I take that back. Mine was built before this TSB applies. Further thoughts? Build date of 2/8/13.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did see that it only covers a specific time period of build dates and mine does not fall into that period. My build date is 10/12.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've been reading up more and more on this brake vacuum pump and a lot of things are making more sense: occasional hard brake pedal at startup, very loud noise from the area of the BVP, and now this.

The issue will be: how to get the dealer to be mechanics and not diagnosticians.

·
Registered
12 Posts
^^^ That is my problem also. I don't fall into the build date so my dealership won't help much. The service advisor said his does it to but nowhere near as bad and that its a normal characteristic of this vehicle. I don't know what to do. Vibrotruck!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Depending on how many miles you have it may be carbon buildup on the valves which is known to cause a rough idle.

May not be bad enough to cause misfires and throw codes, but still noticeable.

Mine runs a little rough at idle too sometimes, it doesn't really bother me too much. Truck runs just fine otherwise and no one else who has ridden in it can notice it so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Norcal - I've definitely considered this, which is why I asked them about scoping the valves, but I would think that if it was dirty valves it would idle rough all the time, vice idling very roughly (borderline dies now) when I initially come to a stop and then the computer compensates and it is back to a smooth idle.

So further thoughts on this: I've seen lots of posts about the very expensive electronic vacuum pump in pre-2012 exhibiting failures but it seems that the 2013 and up was replaced with the engine driven pump. Also an electronic vacuum pump would not affect any engine vacuum - correct? I can only see in the engine bay what looks like the absence of the electronic pump but I don't really know where to look for the "new one" that is supposedly on the engine. Any thoughts on this? Which brings me to my next question: what would cause the post 4/1/13 builds to exhibit these exact same symptoms but not the pre 4/1/13 builds?

Sorry guys I know it seems like I'm dragging us around in circles- thanks for everyone's help so far.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I would check your intake valves yourself. Harbor Freight sells a cheapo scope for around $80, or for probably around the same price you could pay a shop with a scope to look for you. Ford is not likely to acknowledge or provide a fix for dirty valves, so if thats the case you may be on your own.

If it is a vacuum leak I think you would be throwing codes if the idle is that bad, but I'm not sure. Could be a faulty vacuum check valve, poor braking in the morning seems to indicate a problem with vacuum. I know some people were having issues with braking in the morning but the vacuum pump was fine, turned out to be a stuck/faulty vacuum check valve. I would push the dealership to do a vacuum test.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks for your input on the situation. y'all! As always, it's appreciated. :)

Looks like back to the dealer I go.
Looks like the original problem is back and matches up exactly with Jeff's. A reset made the rough idle diminish, but never go away. Now it's back to exactly how it was after a long trip.

My concern now is: great, so resetting the computer essentially gets the computer to normalize this briefly, but what is actually causing the rough idle in the first place and continuing to do so after a computer reset?

Brittany - can I do the same?
You absolutely can, mooneywa! Go ahead and send me privately your full name, VIN, servicing dealership, and best daytime contact information. If you have the date of the upcoming service appointment, send that along as well. I'll get this escalated as soon as I can!

Brittany

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2011 FX4 with 68K. I have been dealing with an intermittent rough idle for the past 6 months and had it to the dealer 4 times. It started due to a defect in the head, where coolant was getting by and into a cylinder when the truck had about 40K miles. It was hesitating/missing and I got a CEL for misfires on that cylinder. The dealership dug into it, told me what they found, replaced the head and a bunch of other parts. I got the truck back, but when I would pull up to a stop light, the RPMs would drop to around 500 and it felt like it was going to die. It would try to recover back to around 700, then drop back down. I called the dealer right away and they said it would take some time for the truck to relearn itself. I waited a week, with no change and took it back to them. They checked it over, told me they couldn't find anything wrong and gave it back. STILL A ROUGH IDLE. I took it back a 3rd time. They had it for another week or two where the only thing they did was upload a bunch of data to Ford. Ford told them they were using the wrong sequence to "relearn itself". So, they used the magic sequence and gave it back. STILL A ROUGH IDLE. So, instead of repeating the insanity, I took it to another dealer for the 4th try. They tore the motor down and replaced a cam shaft sprocket and some solenoids. STILL A ROUGH IDLE. At that point, I sent in a package to BBB Auto Line to turn in for lemon law, but they rejected it since I was out warranty (61K). I will admit that I am an idiot, but I will also say that I had asked about going over the warranty and I had been told by both dealers that since the issue originated before I ran out of warranty, I would be covered. So, it turns out they were full of it and told me whatever they had to, in order to get me to go away. I feel like an even bigger idiot because I actually like the truck, except for when I am at a stop. It has lots of power at WOT and even decent mileage at 65 MPH (18-20). The part that is so puzzling is that the rough idle is intermittent. If I have a mechanical issue, or the intake is so coked up, why doesn't it do it all the time? My next step is to take it to a BMW mechanic, hoping they have more experience with DI turbocharged engines. Rather than the jerks at the Ford Dealerships, who ask for direction from what I can only assume is a 20 year old call center employee at Ford Tech Support who drives a Kia and took 4 hours of an online class called "How Not to Admit Your Company's Product is Poorly Designed". This is basically just one big gripe session, but I think this is a systemic problem and truly believe there is a fix. I just don't know what that fix is. Do any of you?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would check your intake valves yourself. Harbor Freight sells a cheapo scope for around $80, or for probably around the same price you could pay a shop with a scope to look for you. Ford is not likely to acknowledge or provide a fix for dirty valves, so if thats the case you may be on your own.

If it is a vacuum leak I think you would be throwing codes if the idle is that bad, but I'm not sure. Could be a faulty vacuum check valve, poor braking in the morning seems to indicate a problem with vacuum. I know some people were having issues with braking in the morning but the vacuum pump was fine, turned out to be a stuck/faulty vacuum check valve. I would push the dealership to do a vacuum test.
I had a small vacume leak on the intake that kind of did the same thing. If you take off your cover and look at the intake track. Mine was the one on top for the brakes. The clamp is a double clamp and they didn't get them both on from the factory. I will try to find the pic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2011 FX4 with 68K. I have been dealing with an intermittent rough idle for the past 6 months and had it to the dealer 4 times. It started due to a defect in the head, where coolant was getting by and into a cylinder when the truck had about 40K miles. It was hesitating/missing and I got a CEL for misfires on that cylinder. The dealership dug into it, told me what they found, replaced the head and a bunch of other parts. I got the truck back, but when I would pull up to a stop light, the RPMs would drop to around 500 and it felt like it was going to die. It would try to recover back to around 700, then drop back down. I called the dealer right away and they said it would take some time for the truck to relearn itself. I waited a week, with no change and took it back to them. They checked it over, told me they couldn't find anything wrong and gave it back. STILL A ROUGH IDLE. I took it back a 3rd time. They had it for another week or two where the only thing they did was upload a bunch of data to Ford. Ford told them they were using the wrong sequence to "relearn itself". So, they used the magic sequence and gave it back. STILL A ROUGH IDLE. So, instead of repeating the insanity, I took it to another dealer for the 4th try. They tore the motor down and replaced a cam shaft sprocket and some solenoids. STILL A ROUGH IDLE. At that point, I sent in a package to BBB Auto Line to turn in for lemon law, but they rejected it since I was out warranty (61K). I will admit that I am an idiot, but I will also say that I had asked about going over the warranty and I had been told by both dealers that since the issue originated before I ran out of warranty, I would be covered. So, it turns out they were full of it and told me whatever they had to, in order to get me to go away. I feel like an even bigger idiot because I actually like the truck, except for when I am at a stop. It has lots of power at WOT and even decent mileage at 65 MPH (18-20). The part that is so puzzling is that the rough idle is intermittent. If I have a mechanical issue, or the intake is so coked up, why doesn't it do it all the time? My next step is to take it to a BMW mechanic, hoping they have more experience with DI turbocharged engines. Rather than the jerks at the Ford Dealerships, who ask for direction from what I can only assume is a 20 year old call center employee at Ford Tech Support who drives a Kia and took 4 hours of an online class called "How Not to Admit Your Company's Product is Poorly Designed". This is basically just one big gripe session, but I think this is a systemic problem and truly believe there is a fix. I just don't know what that fix is. Do any of you?
I have the same issue with my truck.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a 2011 FX4 with 68K. I have been dealing with an intermittent rough idle for the past 6 months and had it to the dealer 4 times...
Welcome to the forum, Mavis22. I completely understand how you'd be frustrated, but I'll do my best to get things back on track. Send me a private message (PM) with your details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll push this up the chain and arrange for the customer service manager for your region to give you a call.

I have the same issue with my truck.
Hi JeffCorbett,

What's your truck's model year and mileage? I'll research some ways to help you out as well.

Crystal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have the same problem with my 2011 lariat started in october last year. Since then truck has been at the shop 6 times for total more than 2 months

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi I have the same problem with my 2011 lariat started in october last year. Since then truck has been at the shop 6 times for total more than 2 months
Welcome to the site, Marcinziaja1. How many miles are on your truck currently? I'll be happy to extend you the same offer assistance as I have to other folks on this thread. :)

Crystal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Mavis22. I completely understand how you'd be frustrated, but I'll do my best to get things back on track. Send me a private message (PM) with your details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll push this up the chain and arrange for the customer service manager for your region to give you a call.

Hi JeffCorbett,

What's your truck's model year and mileage? I'll research some ways to help you out as well.

Crystal

Crystal,

I just sent you a PM. Hopefully, we can find a solution to this issue.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 125 Posts