F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2014 ecoboost, had it at the dealer complaining about the rough idle and poor fuel economy. They tell me everything is within specs and they cant find anything wrong. I have been complaining about it since right after purchasing it in November.I contacted customer care and she told me she talked to the service manager and they told her the same thing that its all in specs. The customer service rep just told me I should take it to another dealer and maybe they could fix it! The closest next dealer to me is in another reps area so another claim would have to be started.
Guess I'll try the KAM reset to start and use my old dealership skills to try and fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
To me I think this issue is contributed to the PVC/CAC setup. Most guys are putting a catch can and drilling a weep hole in the CAC to drain crap, so it doesn't get sucked up into the intake wreaking havic, reducing power and fuel mileage.
I've had my 14 in several times, but for overheating. Everytime Ford says theirs nothing wrong with it.
Have Ford put the latest PCM reflash update if they haven't already.....than maybe look at the PVC system/CAC.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rough idle you say? Hmmmm more victims of ford I see. Mine did this... Ford could not fix it. 5* tune fixed it. The only rough idle I ever get now is from a cold start, then it quickly smooths out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone with the rough idle issue tried running through a fuel system cleaner like chevron yet? Could simply be dirty injectors, I've noticed my idle improve greatly after using it. Ethanol tends to form a sticky buildup after awhile, which could be effecting the injectors and/or fuel flow at idle.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
In front of and slightly below the rad.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Has anyone with the rough idle issue tried running through a fuel system cleaner like chevron yet? Could simply be dirty injectors, I've noticed my idle improve greatly after using it. Ethanol tends to form a sticky buildup after awhile, which could be effecting the injectors and/or fuel flow at idle.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes many people, including myself have had good success with the Techron fuel system cleaners. My idle smoothed out after one treatment, also was recording less misfires.

·
Banned
242 Posts
I dont understand eating spark plugs within 8k miles, that doesn't seem right.

Where's the cac located?
The CAC produces moisture and it collects inside. Upon acceleration, the moisture gets passed through and blows out spark plugs. The only solution is to drill the weep hole in the CAC so all of the water and gunk drains out. Make sure you have plugs gapped to .028 and install asap. You may get 15k miles out of a set of plugs... Have to change often in order to feel confident the truck won't stutter on acceleration.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So as the originator of this thread I figured I'd post an update on what I've seen over the last 6 months or so:

Problem has not gone away. I've given up on talking to dealers since if the computer doesn't show it then it must not exist!

I bought an RX catch can and this, despite all the aggressive opinions on it, has made a tangible difference to the above problem. Note I said difference, not a solution. Here's what it does. Before I empty the can I will notice as I get past 500 miles since last empty the rough idle will get progressively worse. I'll empty it and it will clear out 80% or so of the rough idle and then it will build at a linear rate in roughness until I reach another point where I should empty the can. I typically get about 4-6 oz. of gunk, mostly a watery mixture, but usually with some varying amount of oil on top.

I have no idea whether the change in idle roughness is a result of draining the gunk from the can or some change in the pressure in the vacuum system.

I do *believe* that this proves the rough idle *I* am experiencing is a PCV related issue. How to completely solve it? Still unknown. This also seems to me that my specific issue is limited to 2013 and 2014 models, maybe an occasional 2012 here and there, but it is different from the majority of the early motor build issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not resolved my issue either. The technicians can not fix it. The truck has had a lot of parts replaced but the problem still exists. I think they have tried the throttle body, intake sensors, fly wheel, torque converter, drive shaft. I asked them to align the front end and they told me the rack and pinion is bad, waist gates are bad and the rear pinion seal is now leaking. I don't think the bleeding will ever stop.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rough idle you say? Hmmmm more victims of ford I see. Mine did this... Ford could not fix it. 5* tune fixed it. The only rough idle I ever get now is from a cold start, then it quickly smooths out.
I have a 12 ecoboost with an aFe intercooler, rx catch can, solo catless dp and five star 91oct tune. I get a rough idle on cold start pretty much until I drive it around a bit and get it warmed up but then after that the idle is much smother. Still not dead smooth but definitely smoother. I would like to get it perfect but yeah it kinda seems difficult to achieve going by some of the stuff I've been reading.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 2011 at 119k+. Recently I experienced my second bout of misfires and had to change plugs early. This was at 117k just before a Thanksgiving trip, thus now higher miles. Before replacing the plugs, she was running rough. Couple old plugs had cracks. After replacing plugs and boots, gaping to.030, things weren't running right at all (except no noticeable misfire). Idles worse than before. Ran Techron and did battery reset and relearn process. I'm left with a truck that now idles rough and surges. MPGs have dropped from avg. 16.7 to around 14. On the highway, I now get 16 mpg. Under throttle it works harder than it should and there is more drone from the 4" cat back. Just today, dealer advised the truck is running fine. Of course they are going to say that when I'm out of warranty at 125k (extended warranty). I have torque app mode 6 data and provided to service tech. After trying to get a reading when I picked it up, quite a bit of data was now unreadable. I'm also showing a fault code U0155 -Network. Service tech says mode 6 data is historical data and must be from the original misfires. He's now 'cleared the data' and advised I just drive the truck and see how it is. Asked that I not plug in the obdll reader as that may cause errors. He says police bring in vehicles that have faults do to obdll dongles. I informed him insurance companies and now Verizon too are providing services that require them to be plugged in. Under his thought process, guess he'll see more than cops with that problem. I'm at a loss like you guys and am up for suggestions. This truck is my lively hood, construction sales doing avg. 30k miles a year. No tune, only cat back, AFE cold air intake and dual catch can. New plugs are iridium motor craft. When warmed up and under throttle it's smooth, but working slightly harder than before. Previous plugs were stock variable gaps from.036 to .039.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Update, not that anyone is reading this
I've ordered and swapped out the EVAP Solenoid as someone suggested in another thread. The MPG has gone up by 1 to the low 15s. The idle is still rough and the engine is still working harder than it used to. Its been suggested by friends that my cats are clogged. if this is the case, they must not be clogged to the point to throw a code? I'm still under warranty for only another 4K. I'll be over that in close to 2 months and I believe the service tech is counting on that. below is the Mode $06 data from a recent log. If anyone can make sense of it, please advise; (FYI, my first and previous post is the one above)

Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$87
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 650ms Min: 0ms
Test result value: 6ms
PASS
----
MID:$01 TID:$88
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Test result value: 3ms
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$85
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 110mV/s Min: -30,000mV/s
Test result value: -2,820mV/s
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$86
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 10,000ms Min: 0ms
Test result value: 1,949ms
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$87
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Test result value: 0ms
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$88
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Test result value: 0ms
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$85
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 110mV/s Min: -30,000mV/s
Test result value: -2,764mV/s
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$86
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Max: 10,000ms Min: 0ms
Test result value: 1,990ms
PASS
----
MID:$21 TID:$81
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 1
Max: 0.86327Ratio Min: 0Ratio
Test result value: 0.35546Ratio
PASS
----
MID:$22 TID:$81
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 2
Max: 0.85936Ratio Min: 0Ratio
Test result value: 0.30468Ratio
PASS
----
MID:$35 TID:$82
-
Max: 18.16° Min: 0°
Test result value: 0.37°
PASS
----
MID:$35 TID:$83
-
Max: 20° Min: 0°
Test result value: 0°
PASS
----
MID:$35 TID:$84
-
Max: 29.15° Min: 0°
PASS
----
MID:$35 TID:$85
-
Test result value: 0.38°
PASS
----
MID:$36 TID:$82
-
Test result value: 0.48°
PASS
----
MID:$36 TID:$83
-
Max: 20° Min: 0°
PASS
----
MID:$36 TID:$84
-
Max: 29.15° Min: 0°
PASS
----
MID:$36 TID:$85
-
Test result value: 0.47°
PASS
----
MID:$3a TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
Max: 8,191.75Pa Min: -1,992.5Pa
Test result value: -1,992.5Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3a TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--
MID:$3a TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
Max: -1,992.5Pa Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: -1,992.5Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3b TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (0.090")
Max: 764.5Pa Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: 355Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3d TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
Max: 8,191.75Pa/s Min: -1,743.5Pa/s
Test result value: -403Pa/s
PASS
----
MID:$3d TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$3d TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$41 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 1
Max: 3A Min: 0.55A
Test result value: 1.67A
PASS
----
MID:$42 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 2
Max: 3A Min: 0.22A
Test result value: 0.837A
PASS
----
MID:$45 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 1
Max: 3A Min: 0.55A
Test result value: 1.646A
PASS
----
MID:$46 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 2
Max: 3A Min: 0.22A
Test result value: 0.77A
PASS
----
MID:$4e TID:$4c
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 4 - Sensor 2
Max: 573.44g/s Min: 553.26996g/s
Test result value: 655.22998g/s
FAIL
----
MID:$6c TID:$56
-
Max: 108 Min: 10,337
Test result value: 0
FAIL
----
MID:$8c TID:$56
-
Max: 121 Min: 10,337
Test result value: 0
FAIL
----
MID:$a1 TID:$80
- Misfire Monitor General Data
Max: 24.25272% Min: 0%
Test result value: 0%
PASS
----
MID:$a1 TID:$81
Max: 0.99953% Min: 0%
PASS
----
MID:$a1 TID:$84
Max: 966.60004°C Min: 0°C
Test result value: 672.79999°C
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
Max: 65,535Count Min: 0Count
Test result value: 0Count
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
Test result value: 1Count
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$80
- Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$81
- Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$80
- Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$81
- Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$80
- Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$81
- Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$80
- Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$81
- Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$80
- Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$81
- Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$80
- Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$81
- Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$ac TID:$56
- Misfire Cylinder 11 Data
Max: 124 Min: 26,721
Test result value: 880
FAIL
----
MID:$bc TID:$56
-
Max: 120 Min: 26,721
FAIL
----
MID:$ec TID:$56
Manufacturer defined MID -
Max: 121 Min: 10,337
FAIL
----
MID:$ee TID:$0d
Manufacturer defined MID -
Max: 57,344 Min: 43,039
Test result value: 65,523
FAIL
----

End of report.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 with 3.5 ecoboost with 38k miles. I took mine in and they updated the computer. It improved a slight bit, but not much. I took it in after the computer was updated and plugs were replaced. No change. The issue is acknowledged, but is being written off as a characteristic on the 3.5 ecoboost engine. I call bullcrap. A buddy has the same engine and they are night and day. There are no codes showing up on the computer. I am satisfied that my dealer has done their best to correct this issue. I am not satisfied with Ford though. 50k-60k trucks should not have an issue like this. I wish I wouldn't have traded in my 2011 with the 5.0 motor. There will be no more Ford ecoboosts in my future. I repeat again, I should have never traded my F150 with the 5.0 for the ecoboost. Sitting at a stoplight in drive or sitting in park, it is like sitting on a blender or mixer. It's not just in the drivers seat, passenger feels the missing and shaking. Terribly dissatisfied.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had the same issue that the follow TSB resolved. Note this is for the guys with a 2013 built within a certain date. http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsbs/fulltext/?do=ViewTSB&tsbno=TSB 13-12-15&tsbmodel=F-150&tsbyear=2013

This cleared up about 90 percent of the issue for me. I still have bad rough idle when cold start and my truck will sometimes idle rough out of the blue for a few seconds when hot.

Going to be taking it this week as I am at 33k right now and what this issue resolved 100 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
I feel bad for ecoboost owners. This stuff is unbelievable. The condensate in the CAC has never been solved by Ford. This gets sucked up and over time causes downstream effects (before it hydrolocks the engine). This is why folks are failing O2 sensors and cats. Ford will dupe alot of people...
Ya you would think that being ford has had over 100 years of building vehicles it could get something as simple as a smooth idle out of an engine. It's seems lately ford seems to be in denial and does not want to admit there are issues with this engine platform. Nor do they seem to care as there are no real fixes for some of them.

I also find it amazing that consumers are in denial. Meaning some are thinking they are resolving the issue with catch cans and drilling holes in their intercoolers and are ok with this. Ford just needs to get their head out of their asses and consumers need to hold Ford responsible rather than modding their trucks to possibly assist in Ford's engineering short comings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
...I still have bad rough idle when cold start and my truck will sometimes idle rough out of the blue for a few seconds when hot.

Going to be taking it this week as I am at 33k right now and what this issue resolved 100 percent...
Let's get the rough idle on the radar of your regional customer service manager (CSM), BLOWBYU. Send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll have your CSM give you a call to discuss this further.

Crystal

41 - 60 of 125 Posts