F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
2041 - 2043 of 2043 Posts

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
Apologies for another F-250 PSD post, but we are finishing our summer trip, so here are some final results/comparisons to pulling the exact same trailer with the 2018 3.5 eco (modified per my post header) vs. the new SD.

We’ve completed right at 3,000 miles through Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Mix of interstate and windy 2-lane highways. Lots of hills. Avg speeds about 5mph faster than last year with the F-150. Interstates @ 70mph, 2-lane highways about 60-65mph (safety, traffic, etc. permitting). Some final comments/observations:

• The PSD pulls the 5,500 lb trailer effortlessly. Hills are almost unnoticeable. Should be no surprise, but it’s nice to actually experience it vs. hear about it.
  • The PSD averaged 12.8mpg overall. Maybe 90% towing and 10% side trips w/o the trailer. Headwind KILLS mpg. Speeds above 70mph also really start the guzzling. Last summer, the F-150 average was right at 9mpg on premium, and about 5mph slower.
  • DEF consumption is about 7 gallons over 3,000 miles. I buy it from the bulk pump for about $3.50/gal right now. Really not a big cost consideration vs. diesel consumption/cost.
  • I pulled my nemesis hill .. Parley’s Canyon. The PSD easily held 65mph the entire way, except when traffic got in the way. At the top, digital ECT gauge began showing numbers at 217, then reverted to the idiot gauge right after. EOT showed 237. Transmission showed 226. After cresting, all temps dropped rapidly. I happened to be in SLC again on a side trip w/o the trailer, ran up PC again, and none of these numbers were above 210 at the top.

So, for those frustrated enough to go after the upgrade like I did, here is some real-world data for you to ponder.

Tomorrow, we head back to SLC to pick up our new trailer. This one is 38’ long and 11,300 gvw. Any further comparisons to my previous F-150 overheating experience pulling the smaller trailer would therefore no longer be “apples to apples”. Still, very interested to see how the SD handles this bigger load.
I've never pulled Parley's with my trailer and never want to. I do know a guy who had both a 2016 2.7 and a 2018 3.5L Max tow and said his trucks would be doing 50 mph with his foot on the floor. He said it wasnt overheating but there is no way. If it wasnt overheating it wouldnt be doing 50. I know that I have driven up Parley's in my empty truck(just me, my wife and kid) when we went down to SLC trailer shopping on a 100+ degree day, and my coolant needle started creeping right. Empty truck. My jeep used to overheat coming up it empty too.

I've never driven that way because, being out by Coalville, I either head north on 84, East on 80, or head down through Provo Canyon. Only way I'd hit Parleys is if I were to head west on 80 towards Nevada.

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, Mishi rad, 40/60 cool/H2O
294 Posts
I've never pulled Parley's with my trailer and never want to. I do know a guy who had both a 2016 2.7 and a 2018 3.5L Max tow and said his trucks would be doing 50 mph with his foot on the floor. He said it wasnt overheating but there is no way. If it wasnt overheating it wouldnt be doing 50. I know that I have driven up Parley's in my empty truck(just me, my wife and kid) when we went down to SLC trailer shopping on a 100+ degree day, and my coolant needle started creeping right. Empty truck. My jeep used to overheat coming up it empty too.

I've never driven that way because, being out by Coalville, I either head north on 84, East on 80, or head down through Provo Canyon. Only way I'd hit Parleys is if I were to head west on 80 towards Nevada.
I don’t have any love for it, either. I encountered it when I bought my first trailer in SLC 3 summers ago. I pulled the new trailer to the RV park in Heber City for a night just to check everything out before heading home to St. George. That was my first introduction to this thread.

After a bunch of mods, I was heading back to Heber City from Henry’s Lake, ID last summer and pulled PC a second time. That’s when I decided the F-150 was “fixed”.

This year, I have the new SD but was not able to find the right trailer upgrade in time, so I pulled the little one all summer. I drove from McCall, ID through Boise and then SLC on the way home, and decided to do PC again with the new truck just for comparison. Headed to Heber City for a few nights again anyway, so what the heck.

I’d be fine if I don’t ever have to do it again. It overheats a lot of vehicles for whatever reason (grade profile, length, elevation, high temps, etc.). But it’s definitely a serious towing test if you’re looking for one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got back a wk. ago from a 9 day. dry camping trip, same 5mi. hill climb the one I've mentioned before. This time I had almost perfect conditions to overheat the truck, trailer way overloaded, quad in the bed not locking out any gears and outside temps in the 90's. temps ran about 215 to 223 bumped 226 for about 10 seconds, tickled to death with these temps.

2041 - 2043 of 2043 Posts