F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

681 - 700 of 746 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Platinum FX4 10-speed w/max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC
92 Posts
Did exactly the same. But I'm not convinced that the Lariat Sport Grill flows substantially better?

But it sure looks better, to me.

(That King Ranch grill was the only thing on the whole truck that wasn't participating in a beautiful paint job)

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Do you have the Ford part number for that 2018 grille? I called my local dealer and got the standard “duh” response. Also, can you post a pic?
The ONLY way that the parts guy could order it properly was to go fetch the VIN of a Lariat Sport on the lot of the same color.

Has something to do with the fact that the part number is different for each color, and the order submittal required a VIN before it would process.

At least that's how it was described to me.

Problem is, the Lariat Sport is actually a relatively rare truck. Even down here in F150 heaven.

Yes I sort of got that from the parts person here. Can’t function w/o a VIN. My Platinum is some sort of pearl white. I suspect that part is not even available in that color.

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
Do you have the Ford part number for that 2018 grille? I called my local dealer and got the standard “duh” response. Also, can you post a pic?

Yes I sort of got that from the parts person here. Can’t function w/o a VIN. My Platinum is some sort of pearl white. I suspect that part is not even available in that color.
It's probably Platinum White? You can tell because in bright sunlight, especially when wearing sunglasses, the truck is one giant sparkling disco ball of glitter. Actually very deep and rich looking paint.

If so, yea, I had to have it painted. Or at least at the time, there wasn't a VIN available for a Lariat Sport in Platinum White. But I'm almost certain Platinum White is a choice for Lariat trim. If so, there must be a factory platinum white Lariat Sport Grill. The Ruby Red swap was factory paint and the parts guy had no problem fetching the required VIN from another truck.

In respect to this thread though, I am not convinced that you will get any additional cooling from this grill if you are exceeding the cooling threshold that towing uphill in high ambient temps threatens.

Like mentioned above, I'm considering rigging up a test spraying system inside of that grill next year and gather some data. I only have a few climbs that were the kind that hit 230+ in high ambients. So if spraying makes the difference, it's a simple-man's low-tech approach to pushbutton temporary virtual reality climate change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m confused by your pic. I thought the Sport grille looked like this ...

2B1461FF-14E8-4120-8860-668DC0065001.jpeg

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
That's not Lariat Sport
That's XLT Sport

Which are not body color.

See what I mean by rare. You don't see Lariat Sport front ends very often. But it was THE truck Ford used at the auto shows to introduce the new body style back then.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks to me like it would have significant flow advantage over the Platinum grille ...

44A40CF9-D595-43EB-A815-AE699CC05A99.jpeg

May not be as fancy ....

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
Agreed.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Corky Bell says your grill opening should only have the same flow area as whatever is behind it. If its to big it will cause air to back up and reverse flow. Two small and it is a bottle neck.

Wish I knew where my copy of maximum boost is so I could take a pic of his diagram.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts

There it is.

My guess is the grill is not a restriction. Measure the open area of your electric fans. They might have a 14” OD but the hub on them is huge as well. When I did the math previously, the flow area through the fans, not even counting the area the blades took up, was about 1/2 the area of the radiator core.

I guarantee that no oem grill is the bottle neck in this system.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
Interesting.

I would have sworn image #2 would have been better than image #3

Learn something every day. Even an old fart like me.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
92 Posts

There it is.

My guess is the grill is not a restriction. Measure the open area of your electric fans. They might have a 14” OD but the hub on them is huge as well. When I did the math previously, the flow area through the fans, not even counting the area the blades took up, was about 1/2 the area of the radiator core.

I guarantee that no oem grill is the bottle neck in this system.
I don’t disagree that in a true free flowing system the available open area in the grill is probably sufficient to flow the maximum amount of air through the core. But the grille is not a free flowing system. It has major components in the way that are interfering with free flow and essentially creating a pressure drop between the air entering the grille and the air exiting the grille toward the stack.

Of course, Ford does wind tunnel testing and I would bet the grille design and shape allows enough air to efficiently pass to satisfy some specified max cooling requirement.

My question is, given Ford seems to have underestimated the max cooling requirements under the towing conditions specific to this thread, is there any “headroom” in the natural airflow available at the grille interface that can be used by the stack if pressure drop was reduced across the grille? Or, is the airflow passed by the grille the absolute max that can be forced through the stack at any given vehicle speed, and any further streamlining/opening of the grille would not result in any increase of airflow through the stack?

If it’s the former, the grille could be a bottleneck.

In regards to the fans, this is also not a free flow situation. When operating, the fans are artificially creating a huge pressure differential (suction) behind the stack that increases airflow through the stack. While there is probably some limit to how much air could be pulled through the stack in this manner, I doubt these fans are at this max. In other words, if they were larger and/or spun faster would they pull more air through the stack? I bet yes.

There is also a question whether these fans provide any benefit above a certain speed. It seems to me any negative pressure they can provide at the rear of the stack by operating would be a benefit. I would think it would take tremendous flow through the stack to overwhelm the fans and create a positive pressure between the stack and the fans. Only then would they inhibit airflow.

If the fans are not running, I agree that the free flow through the stack is limited by the open area in the fan shroud (the area you mentioned). Not just the area, but like the grill the whole assembly would create a pressure drop just like the front grille (backpressure against the stack) and reduce how much air can otherwise free flow through the stack.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with mass, some of the ford grilles look like they outflow the other but if you took these grilles and compacted all the material to top or bottom of grille i think you would end up with around the same amount of an opening. For example....my stock xlt sport grille looks like it would flow better than the Lariet one I put on, its a great illusion. There is 1.5" between the bars so if i had all those bars stacked I would have around a 9" opening. The lariat grill has 2 openings but are 2.25" up to 3" tall and run from one end to the other so about 43" long as opposed to the sport grille opening length of 37ish. I think at the end of the day all these grilles flow about the same, I'm sure ford has a specific cubic inch amount of "opening" for all their grilles. Just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
Blown's grill, although Gen1, is one big giant hole in front of the stack.

Although I think he has the FR Intercooler, which is relocated up?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree with mass, some of the ford grilles look like they outflow the other but if you took these grilles and compacted all the material to top or bottom of grille i think you would end up with around the same amount of an opening. For example....my stock xlt sport grille looks like it would flow better than the Lariet one I put on, its a great illusion. There is 1.5" between the bars so if i had all those bars stacked I would have around a 9" opening. The lariat grill has 2 openings but are 2.25" up to 3" tall and run from one end to the other so about 43" long as opposed to the sport grille opening length of 37ish. I think at the end of the day all these grilles flow about the same, I'm sure ford has a specific cubic inch amount of "opening" for all their grilles. Just my thoughts

Good comparison and points. Still leaves me with a question of whether more air through the grill (what about no grill?) would result in more flow through the stack.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Looks like the Mishimoto cac. Also Mishimoto tranny cooler.

And yes, that is a huge grille opening. Maybe it’s an optical delusion, but sure looks like more area than a 2018 Platinum.

7A6DAC42-225B-4E5F-B03F-298F9427D75C.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts

Yup, but I was actually thinking about what the folks are saying on this thread. It is a open grill, but also a finer “mesh” than any OEM options. So much so, that I often find it will stop and collect bugs.

I have the Full Race CAC which they say doesn’t impact, but the two large end tanks are certainly not helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
It occurs to me that at some point it would be nice to summarize everything folks have learned about this overall issue (data, experience, fact vs fiction, etc), along with a complete list of potential mods (description, cost, expected improvement, pros/cons, etc).

There is already lots of good stuff on this thread, as well as many others. However, it is all pretty scattered and requires lots of study to get to the meaty items. In particular, real data on mod=>result is thin. Opinions, however are abundant (mine included). ha ha

I started getting in to this just in the last couple of weeks. Would have been really nice if there was some sort of “pinned” items under the towing section of this forum with the meat summarized.

Don’t get me wrong, I find this discussion very helpful and appreciate everyone’s posts. I also now realize the “solution” to this issue is complex and there is no “magic bullet” fix. Just saying it would be helpful at some point to pull it all together somehow.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nothing to do with overheating but I sure did enjoy keeping both hands on the steering wheel shifting back and forth from 5th to 8th using those paddle shifters this weekend!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Nothing to do with overheating but I sure did enjoy keeping both hands on the steering wheel shifting back and forth from 5th to 8th using those paddle shifters this weekend!

Yeah it does.....that Raptor steering wheel with paddle shifts is FRICKIN HOT!
Might have to sport some leather racing gloves ehh-lol?
20191030_153428.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
The ONLY way that the parts guy could order it properly was to go fetch the VIN of a Lariat Sport on the lot of the same color.

Has something to do with the fact that the part number is different for each color, and the order submittal required a VIN before it would process.

At least that's how it was described to me.

Problem is, the Lariat Sport is actually a relatively rare truck. Even down here in F150 heaven.

yes your are correct that's how they got mine in

681 - 700 of 746 Posts