F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

821 - 840 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
All good points. Who knows...

I’m also convinced that most people who pull trailers with the trucks in these conditions are probably running in the 230-240 range and just don’t even know it and don’t even care. I’m sure Ford expected that and was okay with it. So as long as they don’t get the message about reducing power then they just run it and the truck is probably fine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
If I can get away with 220-235 on the toughest climbs, and not be unhappy with the speed I maintained, then I wouldn't need to follow this thread so closely.

Actually, that's not exactly true since I can and have towed quickly up every climb I've encountered. And I have rarely hit or surpassed 230. But I'm also aware that I'm not towing as heavy as many on this thread.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
So i am actually gunna tow the same route that I did with the GX two weeks ago with my F150 this weekend. We will see how it goes. I think its gunna be about 10-15 degrees cooler but wolf creek pass is slow and winding so I am thinking I may get hot just from the slow speeds.

·
Registered
544 Posts
So the mishimoto radiators are on backorder until mid December early January. After talking with Geoff at Fullrace, BlownF150 and doing more research on radiators I'm going to support my local business and go with the Fullrace rad. They have plenty in stock!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
But im never even close to WOT pulling hills. I could do most in 4th gear at 3400 rpm without blinking.

I would say the cooling system is only good for a sustained 200 hp. Pulling into a headwind on flat ground is pushing my truck into high 220’s or 230’s if i dont slow down.

You could detune this truck to 300 hp and still overheat it.
I think it more has to do with the torque than the HP.

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, 40/60 cool/H2O
101 Posts
Actually, there is a direct correlation between HP and BTU. Add in thermal efficiency and you get the total heat generated. As I mentioned previously, the eco’s are very inefficient at producing shaft HP under high boost. Easy to see based on MPG under high boost. So it is not just the shaft HP, it’s the excess waste heat that has to go out the tailpipe and be removed by the cooling system that eventually overloads the cooling system

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Actually, there is a direct correlation between HP and BTU. Add in thermal efficiency and you get the total heat generated. As I mentioned previously, the eco’s are very inefficient at producing shaft HP under high boost. Easy to see based on MPG under high boost. So it is not just the shaft HP, it’s the excess waste heat that has to go out the tailpipe and be removed by the cooling system that eventually overloads the cooling system
Good to know! I was looking at it from a different standpoint. The Eco makes more torque down low than any other gas engine I am aware of. Producing torque takes fuel and timing that generate heat. The water pump is not spinning fast enough at that lower RPM (IMO, there are other factors as well). By just increasing the RPM by gearing down, I see coolant temp drop. This is even with the truck in theory making more HP at that higher RPM.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Good to know! I was looking at it from a different standpoint. The Eco makes more torque down low than any other gas engine I am aware of. Producing torque takes fuel and timing that generate heat. The water pump is not spinning fast enough at that lower RPM (IMO, there are other factors as well). By just increasing the RPM by gearing down, I see coolant temp drop. This is even with the truck in theory making more HP at that higher RPM.

That day I was in the headwind and was struggling with coolant temps on flat ground I was running in 3rd gear at 55mph trying to keep it below 230F. I could have run in 4th, maybe 5th, but it wouldnt stay below 230 then. I was not on the throttle hard at all and probably producing less than 250 ft-lbs of torque, the truck just was not staying cool.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
That day I was in the headwind and was struggling with coolant temps on flat ground I was running in 3rd gear at 55mph trying to keep it below 230F. I could have run in 4th, maybe 5th, but it wouldnt stay below 230 then. I was not on the throttle hard at all and probably producing less than 250 ft-lbs of torque, the truck just was not staying cool.
Well, I guess that means my mods are doing something then and really good to know. I could easily maintain 75 in 5th in rolling hills and not get above 205 with that TT I pulled in August. I'm not saying it's the same resistance as a strong headwind, but a good indicator.

What was the weight of your set up? I can't remember.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Well, I guess that means my mods are doing something then and really good to know. I could easily maintain 75 in 5th in rolling hills and not get above 205 with that TT I pulled in August. I'm not saying it's the same resistance as a strong headwind, but a good indicator.

In a 30mph headwind on a 90F day at 7500' though?

Mine was 5500 lbs, but 230 was not on hills. That was on the flats where weight is significantly less of a factor. The rolling hills I was hitting 240.

And I don't doubt the radiator helped. I am sure it does. So far though, no mod I have done(oil cooler, CAC, trans cooler, 40% coolant,180F tstat, water wetter) has done much of anything. This is why I have historically been so skeptical of buying a $650 radiator.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Remind me, you have full race radiator right?

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
In a 30mph headwind on a 90F day at 7500' though?

Mine was 5500 lbs, but 230 was not on hills. That was on the flats where weight is significantly less of a factor. The rolling hills I was hitting 240.

And I don't doubt the radiator helped. I am sure it does. So far though, no mod I have done(oil cooler, CAC, trans cooler, 40% coolant,180F tstat, water wetter) has done much of anything. This is why I have historically been so skeptical of buying a $650 radiator.
I totally understand the skepticism, It's so hard to make a actual comparison. I was at 4000-5000ft through the hills and it was only around 80-83*. Keep in mind it was with a 9k trailer and I only have 3:55's
On the flatish ground with pretty much no headwind, I was under 200* at 75mph. This is all with the stock 195* T-Stat. I really want to try the 180* and switch to yellow coolant to test with.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I pulled Wolf Creek pass today. It was only 53*F at the bottom and i did get up to 221F on the climb.

Its not a fast climb. 45-50 mph is about the fastest you get.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I pulled Wolf Creek pass today. It was only 53*F at the bottom and i did get up to 221F on the climb.

Its not a fast climb. 45-50 mph is about the fastest you get.
Towing?

I can get 221 running empty today on the Texas interstate. Of course it's 65 and I'm talking being a hooligan.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Towing?

I can get 221 running empty today on the Texas interstate. Of course it's 65 and I'm talking being a hooligan.

Right but, had it been 70 degrees(nevermind 90 degrees), i might have been in trouble. 221 was pulling the hill in 2nd gear at close to 4k rpm.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,646 Posts
Towing?

Seems like this cold front musta made it's way all the way down there.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
Seems like this cold front musta made it's way all the way down there.
Yes. Will be sleeping with the screen door only tonight.

Only problem is then I can hear the family of raccoons that are determined to get into the locked trash can. Noisy little conversation as they discuss their frustration.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,646 Posts
Humidity dropped out bigtime 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Was about 25% around 1500 @ 66*F 😱 Would normally be about 72 and 75%. Luvin it.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Didnt have issues on the way home either, its closer to mid-70's most of the way and around 63 at the start of the wolf creek pass climb.

Friggin head winds though. I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a 30mph headwind around here. Averaged 7.4 mpg on the way home cruising at 60mph. Speed limit was 65 but I really don't wanna be replacing another exhaust manifold. Was trying to use gears and RPM to keep the PCM from going into enrichment mode. If I saw the AFR start dropping below 14.7 I would back out or downshift to get the exhaust temps down.

821 - 840 of 897 Posts