F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1089 Posts

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, Mishi rad, 40/60 cool/H2O
135 Posts
Just finished a pressure check at a local radiator shop. All good. Of course, only a cold temp check. Could still leak when it gets really hot (expands), but I don’t think it will. Welds look perfect all around.

I will tackle the install tomorrow. I’ll try to remember to take a few pics along the way.

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, Mishi rad, 40/60 cool/H2O
135 Posts
I just did a few measurement checks and what I see is the additional 20mm core thickness takes up the space between the radiator and the a/c condenser. It does not appear to me any of the additional core thickness will move the fan shroud back at all.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just did a few measurement checks and what I see is the additional 20mm core thickness takes up the space between the radiator and the a/c condenser. It does not appear to me any of the additional core thickness will move the fan shroud back at all.
So how much space will you have between condenser and radiator?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
So how much space will you have between condenser and radiator?

My caliper says there is a little over 20mm. From where the condenser tab mounts to the radiator I can roughly measure the offset and the difference between stock and mishi arrangement indicates the factory space will be filled. This is consistent with what I see from the picture on the mishi website.

So to your question, there will be little or no space left between the radiator and the condenser.

E49A3F0E-3EAD-4693-8BA2-5DA101B75206.jpeg

·
Registered
135 Posts
And it’s in ...

AFF75BFF-7A21-4C1D-B06A-42D18727E680.jpeg

Like others have said ... it’s a radiator. Install was about what I expected. Pulling front trim is a pain ... had to go slow and careful. The little plastic fasteners that hold the ducting in place are a pain ... broke a few but O’Reilly Auto had more. Managed to leave the fan shroud in place and dropped the new radiator in between that and the a/c condenser. Tight fit but a friend helped. Ended up cutting off the 2 tabs on the top of the fan shroud to avoid damaging the very delicate radiator finning. Improvised a couple of new tabs under the coolant reservoir as an effective alternate.

Haven’t been able to get as much coolant back in as I expected, but close within about a quart. I will watch it closely for the next few days. Heater works fine. No leaks anywhere so far.

Overall, not a beginners job but not too bad either. Won’t know how much cooling improvement until next summer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
And it’s in ...

View attachment 169337

Like others have said ... it’s a radiator. Install was about what I expected. Pulling front trim is a pain ... had to go slow and careful. The little plastic fasteners that hold the ducting in place are a pain ... broke a few but O’Reilly Auto had more. Managed to leave the fan shroud in place and dropped the new radiator in between that and the a/c condenser. Tight fit but a friend helped. Ended up cutting off the 2 tabs on the top of the fan shroud to avoid damaging the very delicate radiator finning. Improvised a couple of new tabs under the coolant reservoir as an effective alternate.

Haven’t been able to get as much coolant back in as I expected, but close within about a quart. I will watch it closely for the next few days. Heater works fine. No leaks anywhere so far.

Overall, not a beginners job but not too bad either. Won’t know how much cooling improvement until next summer.
About how much coolant did you drain/lose vs added back coolant?

·
Registered
135 Posts
About how much coolant did you drain/lose vs added back coolant?

I drained the coolant into a large flat container. Also, dumped the coolant remaining in the radiator into the same container. Then I measured it all in a 5 gallon bucket marked for each gallon. Total was just under 1.5 gallons.

Mishi radiator is supposed to hold about 1/2 gallon more than factory HD, so I expected to get about 2 gallons back into the system. I am at about 1.75 gallons, so I concluded I may still have some air in the system.

Ran the heater full blast, drove all around, but fill level remains at “Max”.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I drained the coolant into a large flat container. Also, dumped the coolant remaining in the radiator into the same container. Then I measured it all in a 5 gallon bucket marked for each gallon. Total was just under 1.5 gallons.

Mishi radiator is supposed to hold about 1/2 gallon more than factory HD, so I expected to get about 2 gallons back into the system. I am at about 1.75 gallons, so I concluded I may still have some air in the system.

Ran the heater full blast, drove all around, but fill level remains at “Max”.
Since install i have added back 8qts total. 7 after install and 1 more today. One thing I did was pulled up into my driveway which has a decent angle, ran truck and heater for a bit and this caused the level to drop a bit, this was day of install.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Since install i have added back 8qts total. 7 after install and 1 more today. One thing I did was pulled up into my driveway which has a decent angle, ran truck and heater for a bit and this caused the level to drop a bit, this was day of install.

Sounds pretty similar to my experience. About 7 quarts so far. If I can get another quart in over the next few days that would be good I think. I also have a steep driveway and will try letting it run a bit in that position as you did.

FYI ... the local Ford dealership mechanic told me it should be no problem and will eventually self purge. He said they never do anything special to get all the air out. Of course, I take that with a grain of salt given some of the bonehead things they have done on my truck.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
It takes a few days for my coolant level to stablize after i drain it. You will probably have to add more at some point.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
IF you have a vacuum filler, you wont have to worry about air.

I had my coolant drop within 15min of just having heat on after draining mine. Pulled over just to check it and expansion tank was almost empty. Just keep heat on and go around turns.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It takes a few days for my coolant level to stablize after i drain it. You will probably have to add more at some point.
It took another pint this morning, so now pretty close to 8 quarts in vs 6 quarts out. Very close to the capacity difference between the factory HD radiator and the Mishi.

Everything seems to be working fine. Ran it hard up the I-15 hill toward Cedar City this morning and got it to 221 for just a second. It’s just too cool now to really stress test it but so far it seems to run very cool. Driver side end tank is almost cool to the touch after ECTs are 210-ish, but again ambients are 50’s so not really much of a test. Wont be able to tell how much improvement until next summer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
It took another pint this morning, so now pretty close to 8 quarts in vs 6 quarts out. Very close to the capacity difference between the factory HD radiator and the Mishi.

Everything seems to be working fine. Ran it hard up the I-15 hill toward Cedar City this morning and got it to 221 for just a second. It’s just too cool now to really stress test it but so far it seems to run very cool. Driver side end tank is almost cool to the touch after ECTs are 210-ish, but again ambients are 50’s so not really much of a test. Wont be able to tell how much improvement until next summer.
I can't remember but have you already swapped out the tstat?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
CP-E Baaaabbbbyyy! & AFE Coldside CAC Tube.
Had to order the Turbo Smart BOV Adapter Flange, because it doesn't hook up without itI'm digging the CP-E View attachment 169342 View attachment 169343 View attachment 169344

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Welcome to the club!(y) The CP-E rides close to the hood latch lever. I used this tool and straightened mine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BHRXJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty easy to fix. Did you drill any of the drain plugs for a weep hole? I currently have the drivers side drilled. Haven't noticed any liquids yet, but it's my first winter on it. I can definitely feel the difference on a cool crisp morning in the 40's when you get on it.

981 - 1000 of 1089 Posts