F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1098 Posts

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, Mishi rad, 40/60 cool/H2O
137 Posts
I wonder if its a check valve so that when the truck is turned off and cools, air doesnt get sucked back in from the tank.
I thought maybe it was a check valve. But if so, it is plugged tight. I tried clearing it from both directions with the air hose and nada.

Maybe I will get a replacement hose from Ford and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I thought maybe it was a check valve. But if so, it is plugged tight. I tried clearing it from both directions with the air hose and nada.

Maybe I will get a replacement hose from Ford and see if that solves the problem.
Then dissect the other hose and see what it actually is

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Plat Screw, FX4, 3.5, 10R80, max tow, stock tune, Mishi CAC no louvers, Mishi rad, 40/60 cool/H2O
137 Posts
Another install “learning” and heads up for radiator installation. I watched the Mishimoto install video multiple times but still missed a critical detail. Mishimoto supplies a small hardware kit with some bolts. It turns out the 2 bolts holding the a/c condenser to the radiator are supposed to be slightly shorter than the factory bolts. Since the factory bolts are the same diameter and thread, my helper used them instead of the Mishimoto bolts. This resulted in damage to the radiator end tank as the factory bolts are a bit too long and contact the end tank when tightened up. I do not believe it compromised the end tank, but it really pisses me off I missed this detail. I replaced the 2 bolts with the shorter Mishimoto bolts, but the damage is done and I now have to worry if it will develop a leak in either spot. So far, it seems fine.

This is the video screenshot. Note that it simply says “10MM BOLT - SHORT”. It is a very brief reference and easy to miss.

0E110818-2D56-45C5-9BB4-AC399EA5A73C.jpeg

Factory bolt is the one on the left. Mishimoto bolts on the right. They supply the one long bolt and 6 “short” bolts.

E9A62E2D-1BFA-4832-A48C-DE96E2B76E2F.jpeg

Here is the damage on the upper part of the end tank. I can’t see the lower part without removing the radiator, but I assume it’s similar.

D4432D7C-3E27-4F42-9635-AACBC5192390.jpeg

I’m hoping the aluminum plate used to build the end tank is pretty thick. Based on the thickness of the mounting brackets and the very thick welds I believe it is. I will call them tomorrow and verify. Also, suggest they put some kind of warning notice in the hardware bag to alert future installers of this critical issue.

Worst case is I will have to pull the radiator and have the 2 damaged spots tig welded. Let’s hope not.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
No deals yet that i have seen. FR has their radiator at $699 now so that its the same price it was all along once you use the BF code.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
No deals yet that i have seen. FR has their radiator at $699 now so that its the same price it was all along once you use the BF code.
my email says codes FR500 and BLACKFRIDAY.

@ your meme. I always laugh at people who buy like a 2000$ tv that was lets say 2500 regular and say how good of a deal it was. My thought, it's still 2000$ lol.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Can someone tell Mishimoto I don't want a Hoonigan oil cap for 20% off that comes with a free koozie. I want a radiator :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Can someone tell Mishimoto I don't want a Hoonigan oil cap for 20% off that comes with a free koozie. I want a radiator

Fullrace has 10% off, once you put the radiator in cart it will be 629

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
You see the new F150 has functional vents on the front fenders? They say for aero but that will also help with cooling

·
Registered
5,637 Posts

Fullrace has 10% off, once you put the radiator in cart it will be 629

It was $629 normal price last week without a coupon code i am pretty sure. They raised the price and then added the code so its the same price it has been all along. Thats why I posted that meme last night.

Stage3 has had it for 629 all along and still does.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,960 Posts
You see the new F150 has functional vents on the front fenders? They say for aero but that will also help with cooling
Who will be first to retrofit an efan in there ?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Looks like the Mish dropped from $652 to $619.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Then dissect the other hose and see what it actually is

Got the replacement hose today. The little device that is clamped inline is a sort of check valve.

It allows flow from the top of the radiator end tank to the top of the coolant reservoir under low pressure/low flow conditions. It completely blocks flow under higher pressure/higher flow conditions. I assume its purpose is to allow air to vent from the top of the radiator end tank to the top of coolant tank, and limit or completely block coolant flow in that same direction. Excess coolant returning to the coolant tank via this vent line would not be circulating through the radiator and therefore would reduce cooling capacity.

It is wide open in the opposite direction from the top of the coolant tank to the radiator end tank, meaning it has no function in that direction. This makes sense to me as nothing should be flowing in that direction anyway.

There is also one of these same vent hoses from the top of the thermostat housing back to the top of the coolant tank, and I assume it serves the same purpose which is to vent any air in that part of the system back to the top of coolant tank, but not allow excess coolant to flow that way.

Both of these vent hoses should make the system “self purging” if they are working correctly.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
Thanks for the lab work!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Modinstrator
2,863 Posts
Got it. Pressure-o-static (heat equals pressure) one way valve? :) I’m just screwing around here. I’ve never handled one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Got it. Pressure-o-static (heat equals pressure) one way valve? :) I’m just screwing around here. I’ve never handled one.
Whatever it is, Ford thinks it’s worth $30. Didn’t even get new clamps with the deal. If I had the dealer install it (5 minute job), it would probably be another $100.

D9CF0EDA-5E60-48C3-B869-1E3BD48577F0.jpeg

1021 - 1040 of 1098 Posts